Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a Poulan 455 and it doesn't seem to oil the bar or very little at best. Is there somethign beyond a new pump that might be a cure? I haven't taken it apart. Got the saw in trade from a friend (knowing condition could anything) so no big deal there at all. I was very impressed with how strong the saw is. Justn need it to oil.

At first I saw the rear bar stud was backing out and thinking I was on to something corrected that, but still no oil. Bar hole is clear and oil is coming from somewhere as it is dribbling some down the clutch area but nothing like it would be if it were putting out properly.

Have a Poulan 455 and it doesn't seem to oil the bar or very little at best. Is there somethign beyond a new pump that might be a cure? I haven't taken it apart. Got the saw in trade from a friend (knowing condition could anything) so no big deal there at all. I was very impressed with how strong the saw is. Justn need it to oil.

At first I saw the rear bar stud was backing out and thinking I was on to something corrected that, but still no oil. Bar hole is clear and oil is coming from somewhere as it is dribbling some down the clutch area but nothing like it would be if it were putting out properly.

the 455 is a Pioneer/Partner clone correct? If so the oiler should have an adjustment screw under the saw. I presume you have checked that's its open. If so I'd pull the oil pump to check if everything is clean and the oiler gears aren't screwed up. Might not be easy to get a new pump so I'd try checking out the old one, first.

the 455 is a Pioneer/Partner clone correct? If so the oiler should have an adjustment screw under the saw. I presume you have checked that's its open. If so I'd pull the oil pump to check if everything is clean and the oiler gears aren't screwed up. Might not be easy to get a new pump so I'd try checking out the old one, first.
Yes Bob, it's the next in line from the Pioneer P45. I'll have mine out and will double check for you. Mine oiled great after I cleaned the 1/2 pint of gunk out of the bar rails... But would drip like crazy before then. Make sure plates are clean and flush up against the bar. Also make sure the oil holes line up... They could be off. There is a pump avail though if you can't get yours working.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=361184709462&alt=web

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Meant to quote your post as well... Some info above on your 455

I will in the next couple of days take it apart and see if I can see anything going on with it. The inside bar plate is missing. Also someone put the chain brake on with it set and burned through the band it appears. Hopefully it will be something simple.

I cleaned the bar rails completely as that was part of my thought as well on that. Oil holes appear to line up. Maybe the gear is bad on it.

I really want to see the saw run properly as it seams rather mean for 72cc.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Sent from somewhere

I'm kind of wondering if the screen isn't plugged as well. I didn't get to it today. Hopefully tomorrow will give me some time to check it out. Since this saw has no manual oiler I can't rule out the pick-up screen. If hose was broke it should still oil as tank was completely full one would think unless kinked over.

Sent from somewhere

Had my dad pick up 3400 that was on CL back in my hometown for me last night. Didn't have any pictures and I knew was that it runs but bogs down in the cut.
But it was only $35 so I decided just to gamble on it. Dad sent me a couple pics this morning. Top cover is cracked but looks pretty clean under the dirt. I'll have to
check the p/c once I get it from him.

IMG_1978.jpg
IMG_1981.jpg

Custom mix. Since I had an NOS chain brake for my 5200 which had always been in it's box, I took that in and had them scan it with a hand held color scanner.

The paint is not gas proof but I have some clear coat that is.

You could do the very same for a paint that was gas proof as well. I couldn't justify the cost for that to myself.

The paint is a Rustoleum product I believe that has no pigment in it at all prior to tinting.

Had my dad pick up 3400 that was on CL back in my hometown for me last night. Didn't have any pictures and I knew was that it runs but bogs down in the cut.
But it was only $35 so I decided just to gamble on it. Dad sent me a couple pics this morning. Top cover is cracked but looks pretty clean under the dirt. I'll have to
check the p/c once I get it from him.

View attachment 443577
View attachment 443578
I typically feel if the rear handle paint isn't worn smooth the saw is likely in good shape. Looks like you have a keeper.

Took a customer his saws today that he'd had in for repair and got this freebie from a feller he knew! Didn't have an air filter in it, so I'm a little worried about how long it may have been ran without one and intake side scoring, but I'll tear it down and get a better look shortly.
a95683972f2c3d29d3b6986307a1e54e.jpg

dfb35181cebafb2a9594e591f8d3c2b2.jpg

Latest posts

Back