Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need a bit of advice on a 42cc 2150 Predator. I bought it used. It has cut a pile for me but has been a pia to start warm. Replaced all lines. Believed to be hooked up correctly from research. Primer works ok/weak on initial cold start. Farts/burbles for a second then dies starting warm? New primer also. Same problem. Maybe a failed cap vent or?

Need a bit of advice on a 42cc 2150 Predator. I bought it used. It has cut a pile for me but has been a pia to start warm. Replaced all lines. Believed to be hooked up correctly from research. Primer works ok/weak on initial cold start. Farts/burbles for a second then dies starting warm? New primer also. Same problem. Maybe a failed cap vent or?

If I can remember those saws run lean out of the box . Here's a reply post from me to someone quite a while back. It pertains to a 46ccer but may work on your 42ccer.

"The first thing I did was off with those EPA limiters with a razor knife so I could adjust correctly. Those crazy things need to be turned waaay out. If I can remember right the darn thing took something like 2 1/4 turns on the high and 2 1/8 on the low for it to run right. I would go 2 out on both then keep going out a 16th until it runs right. It called for 40:1 but since I had it opened up a bit and screaming ran 32:1. "

You may have the carb with the splines and no slot. I have used a piece of fuel line pushed on to adjust the carb.

I would also give a small tweek to carb nuts in case the seal is loose and bottom nuts/ bolts that hold the clam shell together just in case it's starting to leak when hot from expanding.

If it is the cap/vent - may be vapor lock- try unscrewing the cap then try to start.

Hope this helps out some.

Mark

Plug may be bad and expanding when hot then not firing correctly.

Here's a link to a repair manual that may help- basically covers all the smaller newer Poulans.

If it has been used a lot and has been lean rings could be going. It's funny if you look at the owners manual those saws are only rated for something like 50 hours of use.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Pou...NG-2250-2450-2550-220-221-221LE-260-260LE.pdf

Agreed on the lean factoy settings. Already removed the High/Low adjuster lock. I cut with the saw 2 days ago for 3 tanks of fuel. If I fuled/oiled it up quickly it would refire easily and run good. Finally I needed a break so I set the saw down for 15 minutes. Darn thing would not retart or prime at all. Grabbed another saw and continued on. Thought I had a carb kit but this has a Zama on it. Might try to find a kit locally today. I tried the loose gas cap trick as well. No difference. I'll snug the bolts etc. recommended to see if any are loose.

On another note, anybody have a opinion on the value of a 3400, 3700 and 250 that are basically barn finds (complete units)? All have reasonable compression and the 3400 fires then dies. All will need the usual cleaning/carb kits/chains/lines etc.

I had the Poulan 365 and 3750 out to get some firewood. A few pics.
These saws really get with the program for this size wood.

This tree was leaning pretty good. Just finished the face cut here with the 365.
021.JPG

This Pic here is the back cut.
022.JPG

This one here my wife got as the tree was falling.

023.JPG

Limbing the tree up and getting ready to buck it up into sections for loading into the back of my truck.

025.JPG

That was from last week I got 4 trees that day. These pictures here are from yesterday and I got 5 trees.

Once again here I am using the 365 doing a back cut.

017.JPG

Here I am standing there watching the tree as it falls. I make sure I am a good distance away whenever the tree is falling.
018.JPG

After the tree was on the ground.
019.JPG

Bucking it up into sections so I can load them into my truck.

033.JPG

Out of the 9 trees that I got I miss read the lean on one and it started to fall back on my saw but I noticed it in time to pull the saw out before it got pinched. I always take wire steel cables with me to pull a tree down if I have to and on that one I had to pull it over to get it to fall where I wanted.

I have a few big sweet gums and a couple smaller red oaks that i have to take down at edge of yard and near barn that have me slightly worried. I know one oak has carpenter ant damage and one of the gums is split from lightening 20 years back and punky in the middle. Split starts about 2' and goes to about 6-7' high. Squirrels will need to vacate... Not looking forward to that one.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

They are lodge pole pine, standing dead and already very dry. Really not that bad on the BTU chart. Of course nothing like the hardwoods in the east but I am not complaining considering my propane bill for the last 8 months came out to 30 dollars a month. I should have a little more then 2 cords now. I will only use about 1 1/2 cords during winter mixed in with my other wood. I am bucking the wood up today. It is a hot one and I am pacing myself.

Hot here as well. Very humid. Feels like 95. Did some work on the car today. I'm glad I got it done before noon. I'd say you did very well on your heating bill. I burn 1-1/2 cords of hardwood in the fire place. I used to burn about a face cord when I was working full time. Unfortunately it just sucks the heat out of the house but we like the open fireplace. Getting ready for the next GTG in Michigan coming up one week today. Taking the 5200, XL-76, Super 650 and XL-902AM. It will be a great time as well.

Latest posts

Back