Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was kept it as a Word doc so it could be updated as new info became available. If I get any new info I could pass it along to you as well to add to the pdf. There were indeed a lot of people who contributed and every bit large or small is of value when someone is looking.
There also may be some errors so members are advised to take measurements before ordering parts to see if the listed seal or bearing look right. There's no way to check if sizes could have changed through the saws production period.

It would be nice if the all the sites had libraries of docs etc that could be downloaded. The collectors site has that but unfortunately many of the members that possess the material ask to be e-mailed for the docs and they are no longer active members. A lot are stored on cloud sites that become inactive as well.

Thanks for cleaning it up Poge.

Any additions are welcomed.

Nice to see that doc again. Wasn't there an issue with the SKF (and perhaps National) number for the 4200 + Poulans? IIRC you had ordered those and they did not swap in? I ended up returning mine before they had shipped to the store. A really nice fellow supplied me with an OEM pair instead.;)

Any conformation from anyone on either number SKF *6904*. National *471466?

So I finally got the 46 running and made a few cuts!

Nice, it sounds good.

What chain is on that saw? I seen in your other pictures it had a original style chipper chain on it and most of those came with 7/16" pitch.

For some reason Poulan neutered the 45,46 with a really small dia intake before the reed valve. When I done my 45 I enlarged it some just because I couldn't stand looking at it that way. Not really sure if it helped much or not though.

Nice, it sounds good.

What chain is on that saw? I seen in your other pictures it had a original style chipper chain on it and most of those came with 7/16" pitch.

For some reason Poulan neutered the 45,46 with a really small dia intake before the reed valve. When I done my 45 I enlarged it some just because I couldn't stand looking at it that way. Not really sure if it helped much or not though.
I ran the original chain that you saw in the pics, sucker throws some big chips that's for sure, I did notice the carb mounting was abnormal but I haven't looked at enough saws to notice the restricted intake you speak of.

Yeah, they picked a odd way to hold the carb down in those no doubt, but it seems to work ok without any issues.

I would guess your chain is 7/16 pitch. The bigger the chain on the reduction drives the better.

I have a video of my direct drive 45 from when I first finished it but the clutch was slipping so it don't really show it very well. I have since fixed that.

I would like to find a 51 sometime as that was the last of that version with the squared off back tank/handle and was supposed to have some improvments including a different muffler. I will try to scan that baffle soon for you, but I have been really tied up the last couple days.

I found this video I thought you guys might like. Mopar Mike is filming.

This was a test we made after installing Boysen reeds in this saw. Our good friend Randy from Louisiana sent them to me. We tested in the same log with the stock reeds first and too be honest we didn't see much if any difference with them.

This was a test we made after installing Boysen reeds in this saw. Our good friend Randy from Louisiana sent them to me. We tested in the same log with the stock reeds first and too be honest we didn't see much if any difference with them.

That saw is smoking through that log

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

That looks like pretty hard old dry wood. I cut a little pine a few years ago and couldn't hardly believe the speed the saw ripped through it.

A real good family friend who is like my grandpa used to race saws when he was younger, he used mostly Poulan in his racing and logging days, said they used to take those big cube Poulans like the 5200 and port them out and they ordered custom reed valves from some place out in California at the time, he said he took his over to the forest festival in Lufkin Texas and spanked everybody, said he had all kind of people asking him to build a Saw for them and he just told them no, his is going to be one of a kind.

That looks like pretty hard old dry wood. I cut a little pine a few years ago and couldn't hardly believe the speed the saw ripped through it.

I think that was some Red Oak at that time. Those cookies went in the stove in the shop.

It takes a pretty dang good saw to whip a 5200 in wood like that. My Husky 2100 isn't good enough to do it, and it will kill a 6000.

You ought to see what happened to the guy who came by with a 28" MS460 who really thought he had something and turned his nose up at that saw and said he didn't like Poulans.

After a trip to the woodpile with both saws, lets just say he was mighty humbled. :clap:

I think that was some Red Oak at that time. Those cookies went in the stove in the shop.

It takes a pretty dang good saw to whip a 5200 in wood like that. My Husky 2100 isn't good enough to do it, and it will kill a 6000.

You ought to see what happened to the guy who came by with a 28" MS460 who really thought he had something and turned his nose up at that saw and said he didn't like Poulans.

After a trip to the woodpile with both saws, lets just say he was mighty humbled. :clap:
Like i keep sayin, my 8500 whips all saws in its class and some.

I really want a 5200 or variant.

here's @Just a Guy that cuts wood and @nomad_archer gettin awed by the 5200. it was only maple so you know that saw spittin chips.
20170217_102635_resized.jpg 20170217_140138_resized.jpg

Back