Splitter motor smoking..??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 14 briggs vert. shaft motor on my splitter.. it runs like a top.. but when you hit a knot or it gets in a strain it puffs out a big bellow of oil smoke.. other than that no smoke at all.. seems like im adding about a quart every 3-4 gallons of gas.. any ideas as to what it might be? thanks!

Oreillys 30 weight.. I would have thought if it were the rings it would smoke all the time not just when I crowd it..

Seems like it has to be getting by valve seals or rings, so might as well replace those things before it gets worse.
This was my thought. I'd check the valve seals and head gasket, with my best going to a leaky valve seal. If you rev the motor hard and quickly let off the the throttle, does it smoke then?

I would have thought if it were the rings it would smoke all the time not just when I crowd it..
4ce7.jpg

Run a can of SEAFOAM in your next 3.or.4.gallons.of.fuel. Change the oil and run it. I would not.waste any time money or energy on an old american briggs, or techumseh engine. There are plenty of great new Chinese Honda clones to be had for very little money.

Back