Splitting Tool Shootout Revisited

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to revisit the age old discussion.

I really liked the Gransfors splitting axe I tried this spring and am considering picking one up. I also want to benchmark the Fiskars X25 against the X27 as I have never tried the little brother. Of course I have a number of tools to throw in the mix as well as the pass around Leveraxes that are hanging out at my place.

Any other tools you fellows are interested in seeing in action? Maybe I can do a video review.

Nice idea to shoot it out! Although I think there is no one tool best for everything. May I suggest split it by weight category? Feather, bantom, middle, light heavy and BIG BOY Heavy!

Heavy needs the isocore, maybe the stihl pro cleaver and does the S2800 fall as heavy, or make the weight for light heavy?

I'm impressed by the x17 as a Bantom weight.

The S2800 would definitely be medium weight along with the Fiskars, Gransfors Splitting Axe, and others.

Heavy would be Isocore and other true mauls.

I am more interested in the medium and light weight tools but I would certainly throw in others from the heavyweight division if someone wanted to send one or more to me and I would cover the ride home.

Nice idea to shoot it out! Although I think there is no one tool best for everything. May I suggest split it by weight category? Feather, bantom, middle, light heavy and BIG BOY Heavy!

Heavy needs the isocore, maybe the stihl pro cleaver and does the S2800 fall as heavy, or make the weight for light heavy?

I'm impressed by the x17 as a Bantom weight.

The isocore is 8 lbs, and I don't think its feels that heavy. I'd personally put it at light heavyweight, and put the all steel 12-15 lb mega maul/monster maul beasts at BIG BOY heavy.

I carry an old hardware store 6lb maul for driving wedges and halving anything I can't lift off the ground. 90% of my splitting is with the x27, and nearly all of that is oak. So, I am interested in seeing (like in a video) several of these tools at work in some very typical wood. I know typical is very geographic, so I'll concede my typical which is 20" Red Oak might not be everyone's. Pick a nice solid tree from your supply, layout a couple dozen blocks, set up the goPro and have a wack. Running commentary welcome, heavy breathing ok too.

But look at the benefit: education for all of us, and a nice stack of split wood for you.

For what it's worth, I am very interested in seeing what a Gransfors will do better than my Fiskars, for that matter, the Husky tools look impressive, too. I've watched dozens of video of the leveraxes, and I just don't get it.

Swing well master!

You must live a ways away from anyone, my neighbors would run me out if I was running a saw at night.
There are 3 cabins on this little lake. I'm in the middle and one 200 yards to the west and the other 1/4 mile to the east. Otherwise the nearest year round resident is over a mile to the south. Granted "after dark" in this case was 7 pm.

I carry an old hardware store 6lb maul for driving wedges and halving anything I can't lift off the ground. 90% of my splitting is with the x27, and nearly all of that is oak. So, I am interested in seeing (like in a video) several of these tools at work in some very typical wood. I know typical is very geographic, so I'll concede my typical which is 20" Red Oak might not be everyone's. Pick a nice solid tree from your supply, layout a couple dozen blocks, set up the goPro and have a wack. Running commentary welcome, heavy breathing ok too.

But look at the benefit: education for all of us, and a nice stack of split wood for you.

For what it's worth, I am very interested in seeing what a Gransfors will do better than my Fiskars, for that matter, the Husky tools look impressive, too. I've watched dozens of video of the leveraxes, and I just don't get it.

Swing well master!
I always think about doing a video but never do. My wife has a go pro I could borrow sometime maybe.

If you check the splitting/chopping tool review thread, there are some write ups on the on the GB. I guess to summarize, it's head is shaped very similar to the Fiskars but has more bulk to it so it busts the tough stuff much better.

Oak really seems to vary by both location and subspecies. If you are not having to repeatedly hit the stuff you are cutting with your Fiskars then you are doing good. The red/pin oak up here as well as the red oak I've worked with in NY splits really nicely but the red oak I've split in central and southern MN really makes you work to get things split. And then of course white oak is a little tougher too.

Maybe pick up the Husqvarna A2400 as well.
Did you ever try out the Husky A2400? Thinking of buying one just for driving felling wedges and knocking off small limbs once I have the tree down. Tired of trying to drive wedges with long handled 6 lb maul. I’d prefer something I can swing one-handed. Appreciate any thoughts or reviews on the A2400.

Did you ever try out the Husky A2400? Thinking of buying one just for driving felling wedges and knocking off small limbs once I have the tree down. Tired of trying to drive wedges with long handled 6 lb maul. I’d prefer something I can swing one-handed. Appreciate any thoughts or reviews on the A2400.
I never did, totally forgot about this thread!

so did I! saw it, though it looked interesting....then saw its age....then saw my post! hahaha.

i am still impressed by a lighter tool in easy splitting stuff, it is quick and less tiring to rattle through stuff with the x17. however I do fear its too short to be safe. Steve probably remembers my trip to A&E from my first go with it. I've learnt to crouch, but still regularly it will deflect from a round and being light it deflects easily, I've had a few near misses. I need to rehandle a2 3/4lb Elwell i have on its 28" shaft...long enough to be safe, light enough to swing fast and split loads quickly, heavy enough to work on more than locust.... Is there an X21 or X23?

Latest posts

Back