Stihl Light Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. Why faster than .063? Seems that if anything, the rails would be thicker on a .050 bar. Or is thickness not the issue?

Look at it like the old boys who loved the .404, much like our BC brothers. The thicker the drivers, the less "snake" or side to side action occurrs with the chain in the cut. .63 is thicker, so less wobble is going to happen. Since the whole package with 404 is bigger on top of 63 guage drivers, the chain runs alot tighter on longer bars in big wood. Ya, it moves slower but they still sell it like it's 1980 up there. All the older guys I know here that held on to it longer, claimed it was because they loved how it did not wander in the big wood. Combine the "snaking" of 50 guage at high speeds on a RW bar that is far more narrow, you are gonna be alot more prone to cut crooked. And throw chains.

Thanks Burvol.

No prob Brad. Everyone is into the speed kills thing, which I get. Look at Oregon football LOL. Your big saws pull so hard I would not even bat an eye at running .63 in the bigger wood with long bars. I have noticed the difference is much like Mvalee says, over 28". Under that, I don't think it's as crucial. The big thing with .63 besides the forementioned, is the inertia factor. More noticable with limbing. Once that heavier chain is up to speed and rolling with bigger saws, it blows through them alot faster. Try a loop of Oregon Dura Pro, or X chain as some call it for fun. Immitation .404 on top of .63 guage 3/8 pitch drivers. I am not sure if I like it or not. It was made for Redwood or fiberous wood guys (I bet it would be the **** on Cottonwood, have yet to cut one with it). One look at the cutters and you'd swear it came off a harvester, long teeth and much wider. It does a fine job on nasty pine limbs, once up to speed on a 90cc saw, game over, blows through them.

Try a loop of Oregon Dura Pro, or X chain as some call it for fun. Immitation .404 on top of .63 guage 3/8 pitch drivers. I am not sure if I like it or not. It was made for Redwood or fiberous wood guys (I bet it would be the **** on Cottonwood, have yet to cut one with it). One look at the cutters and you'd swear it came off a harvester, long teeth and much wider. It does a fine job on nasty pine limbs, once up to speed on a 90cc saw, game over, blows through them.

Ive used it in semi skip killer set up on the 066, the slinger 372 doesnt like it as much. Yes it does well in Cotton wood but so does every other chain I throw at it. Madsens has 100 ft rolls of dura pro for 239 mite get a roll for as long as they throw in a hat to go with my other eight hats.

seems that both Husqvarna & Stihl are about the same prices for their light weight bars. I believe I can get the Husqvarna Tech-Lite bar in 28" for $114 I believe......I bet those Stihl light weight bars will be very,very nice.......

seems that both Husqvarna & Stihl are about the same prices for their light weight bars. I believe I can get the Husqvarna Tech-Lite bar in 28" for $114 I believe......I bet those Stihl light weight bars will be very,very nice.......

I haven't heard much about the Tech-Lite since it was news? :Eye::Eye:

The oregon is a 32" and it cuts straight but you have to pay more attention to how the bar is while starting a bucking cut. Cutting firewood lengths i've noticed when moving kind of fast from cut to cut it will sometimes be a little crooked if you don't start the cut real close to the powerhead. I want to try a cannon to see if they're as smooth cutting as some say.

The oregon is a 32" and it cuts straight but you have to pay more attention to how the bar is while starting a bucking cut. Cutting firewood lengths i've noticed when moving kind of fast from cut to cut it will sometimes be a little crooked if you don't start the cut real close to the powerhead. I want to try a cannon to see if they're as smooth cutting as some say.

That groove is what they say it is. Cut tight. Good steel. Don't flex. Power match bars are so crappy I can't believe local shops sell them for 95 bucks in a 32:laugh: Save your dough and buy a Stihl bar and an adaptor plate for Husky if not a Cannon.

I've got 2 adapters right now. I need to get a breaker/spinner so I can make chains for the stihl bars on huskys. I think i'll grab that cannon as its not much more tha a stihl es hpis local.

I've got 2 adapters right now. I need to get a breaker/spinner so I can make chains for the stihl bars on huskys. I think i'll grab that cannon as its not much more tha a stihl es hpis local.

I did the Grandberg break n mend for a while, the punch. Got a spinner breaker combo and never was happier. The set Madsen's sells is sufice for what I can tell. Lindsey bought me one for a birthday. She is a good one :bowdown:

Here we go! Sorry in a hurry again.

Stihl Light 28" .50 $110+tax----My dealer.
Oregon RW 28" .50 $139.95-----Baileys

Both were exactly 44.4 ounces. I will say that the Stihl is stiffer. How much? I don't really know how to measure. I grabbed each bar by the tip and mount and flexed them, so I say Stihl is stiffer. Stiff enough to how a bar should feel IMHO! Sorry cell phone pictures.
"Hey Brad" my bar came from Bryan Equipment just like all my saws and 100 ft rolls of chain. I am having my dealer look for another right now to prove it.-------> Just called and said they have four in stock! Want one? If I am lying I will buy you the bar! No BS here buddy, PM me.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
PM sent. In no way am I suggesting your lying. My dealer has had issues getting good info from Bryan before. My dealer told me Bryan had 240 MS260s to sell before they could get one. Then Andre and Nik's dealer turned around and got me one.

Here we go! Sorry in a hurry again.

Stihl Light 28" .50 $110+tax----My dealer.
Oregon RW 28" .50 $139.95-----Baileys

Just called and said they have four in stock! Want one?

Do they have any in .063 in stock?

mdavlee,
I am not sure about .63. I guess I would order you one but not going to take my dealer time just searching for parts. I am sure he is 3-5 deep at the counter right now. Sorry about that.

No problem. I'm not in that big of a hurry for one. I've got 3 bars for every powerhead right now anyway. If you get a chance ask about a 28" and 32" in .063". The local guy wants me to commit to buying it with him pricing it at $160 then 9.5% tax and he mentioned freight on it also. I've got a 30" cannon on the way right now too.

I can get 3 32" .063 bars from my dealer if anyone is interested. I can buy them for $144 plus tax and ship for cost only if anyone is interested.

id like to have one of those 28" .050 3/8 for 110 bucks if you still have a line on them let me know

Back