The longest bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that might be some of the thinnest sliced firewood ive ever seen...or does it just look that way since the log is so big? cool pic anyway..beautiful wood

that might be some of the thinnest sliced firewood ive ever seen...or does it just look that way since the log is so big? cool pic anyway..beautiful wood

We don't cut firewood too long downunder, 12 - 15" usually because of the type of slow combustion heaters we have.
The log at butt end was 7.5 x 8.5ft and had sunk 18" into the the crop paddock when it landed, 55 + ton of firewood. It was a pity not to slab it, but i was paid to block it up.
There are a few more photo's in the "pictures" section.

Lawrence

A 72" GB Rollernose on one of my Sachs Dolmar 166's

Scott

I have two 50 inch cannon bars and that length isn't too bad,but I think anything longer than about 60 inches must start to get pretty awkward to use unless you are a very large person. Lot's of moment in a bar that is sticking out 6 ft., I am guessing.

After I ran the 50 inchers ( a bit extra heavy because they are big bellied Cannons) a 42 incher now seems like nothing to handle.

Last edited:
Where is all the milling guys? I have a 16" an 18" and 20"
bar at the moment. I ran a few big saws with three foot bars on them when I was involved in tree removal.

The longest single ended bar that we've sold was 144".

144 inches? Holy smokes. A 12 foot bar... now I can hear Troll saying something about the saw being bar heavy. ;) Of course, compared to the bar, the saw is probably light? With 24+ feet of chain...

What saw was that bar fitted for?

I have a 60" bar for my 084.
I prefer to see it hanging on the wall rather than mounted on the saw, the "fun factor" goes away rather quickly when it's in use.

Ed

Thats straight up no BS. I've got a 60 for the 084 also and that will run the good times away fast. Also have a 50, 42 and 36 for the 084. The 460 runs a 25 and a 32. The 034 and 036 both run a 20.

The biggest bar I have handled was a Cannon custom 18'. It had an 084 on both ends and was more work than I care to take on again any time soon.

The boss wanted to cut this tree like this for hazard safety reasons. Redwood, 13'9" of wood actual wood with 14" of bark on one side and 16" on the other on top of the 13'9" for a total of just over 15 feet. Had 4 sets of pack jacks in that monster with 1.5" plates top and bottom to help distribute the jack weight and pressure . Straight cuts and everything meeting perfect was absolutely neccessary. We had to drop it between two historical markers, one was a house and the other was a carriage house(barn).
Boss beat in a lathe stake in the middles and we dropped it less than half a width toward the barn from the stake. With out that set up it ould have been near impossible to make that work with this particular tree. He had a transit type scope watching us to make sure everything was cutting correctly.

Bro inlaw was on the other end of that bar and still has it hangin in his shop. Photo of the downed tree painted on the entire length. One cut was darn near a full tank for both of us. 3 or 6 tanks depending to get that b1tch on the ground along with 3 chains, one for each cut. I forget how long it actually took from starting the first cut to the thump when she hit the earth.

Once cut we could not touch it again. The state and historical people and a bunch of others were there. We would have liked to get a total footage to make scale on that pig. Pay was $2500 each that day.

Would I do it again. Under the same circumstances no chance. No worries about anything other than breaking the wood, the same way everything but the buildings, in a heart beat.

Kinda rambling sorry bout that

Owl

That's a big tree.. I have never even seen a tree anywhere near that size. Seen some 40in tree's here in Michigan . That's just unreal. I am sure back in the day they had some super sharp crosscuts and Axe's.

All .404 chain 36” full comp and 42” skip chain on the 3120. 02 model with a green coil rev limited to 9800 rpm.

My biggest bar? 32" on an 066. I mostly stick with 25".

Years ago, my dad came across a 14-foot Sitka Spruce that needed to fall. I believe he still has the newspaper clipping. The longest bar he usually ran was a 60 inch roller nose on an 090G. They cut the tip off one 60" bar and the tail off another one, welded them together, and made a chain to fit. I would be willing to bet that they still have that bar collecting dust somewhere in the Vail shop.

I've got bars every 4 inches from 16" to 36" and then jump straight to 48" (and I've got two of them) running the 48" and 36" on the 084, the 24" 28" and 32" on the MS 460, running 20" and 24" on the 044 (depending on whats on the 460), and 16" or 18" on the MS260. Not too big I know but in a land where most folks think 70cc is a big saw. A 122cc with a 4 footer is huge and everybody with a "big" tree will give you a call, of course when you get there most of those "big" trees are about 28 to 30 inches. :laugh: and you wind up taking care of it with a much smaller saw.

41" for the 066 use it quite a bit. Usually use 32" tho.
attachment.php

42", but that one just gets horizontal milling time. 36" is the biggest one I "swing", but it's not a lot of fun. So, most of the time I've got a 24" on the 066, a 20" on the 372, and a 16 on the Super XL.

I rarely come across a tree that a 36" bar won't make it all the way through, and if I had to come at it twice, I'd use the 24 anyway. the 24 makes it through most trees I see with ease.

Mark

I have 25", 36", 41" and 48" for the 084. I picked up an old Mac 1-86 that came with a 36" and a 72" bar. 36" is the biggest that I have ever used on any saw. I have a 28" and a 30" for my 460. I don't want to find out what it would be like to hold on to the "helper handle" on a 72" bar.

Latest posts

Back