026 / 026 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The oiler and decomp are the only real differences. The pro model has a slotted clutch drum and wire pump drive, and the non-pro model does not. The pro model also has a slot in the belly so you can adjust the pump. The non-pro oiler oils fine, but they also run all the time, so they tend to puddle if you let the idle. The decomp really is not needed. Oh, and the pro models also has the PRO stickers on them. Makes all the difference.

Is there any difference in bore with 026 / 026 Pro ??

I've got the older 026 model. IMHO decomp is not needed for this small cc engine. If I'm puddling oil it's my fault for not moving fast enough or not shutting the saw down. My clutch drum has been changed to accept a rim drive. I like the sturdier steel rim versus the standard spur sprocket. I don't have anything conclusive to back that, just my opinion regarding extended wear on a work saw. Adjustable oiler may be nice if a person was making BIG changes in bar length. My fixer oiler does fine on an 18" bar. If I want a PRO sticker I can buy one from flee bay and slap it on. Maybe that'll make me feel better cutting wood.

The PRO designation was more marketing than function based. I have multiples of both and I wouldnt chose one over the other. One thing to note is you want a saw with a fully adjustable carb. Some of the later models dont have a high side adjustment.

An important thing to note. If you're turning around a saw, a Pro has better resale on fleabay.

The 260 saws all have the larger bore... both pro and non-pro. So it is not a pro/no-pro difference.

I've never seen a MS260 that wasn't a "pro" version and I've not seen any 026's that were designated with the "pro" sticker. Do such saws exist? We've used a lot of both. My point was the MS260 "pro's" came with a bigger bore than the 026's. That is the difference, besides the adjustable oiler, and of course, the value adding sticker.

n
I've never seen a MS260 that wasn't a "pro" version and I've not seen any 026's that were designated with the "pro" sticker. Do such saws exist? We've used a lot of both. My point was the MS260 "pro's" came with a bigger bore than the 026's. That is the difference, besides the adjustable oiler, and of course, the value adding sticker.

There were in fact 026 non-pro as well as PRO saws, and there were 260 non-pro and PRO saws. I have owned many 026 and 260 saws. If you do not believe me, just look in any Stihl 026 and 260 IPL where they are clearly listed. There are far more non-pro 026 and 260 saws out there than PRO models, BTW.

The pro and non-pro features are the same in the 026 and 260 saws: they have decomp and adj. oil pumps only in the PRO models. The 026 saws (PRO and non-pro) had 44mm P&C. The 260 saws (PRO and non-pro) had 44.7mm P&C. They are swappable as well. You can put a 260 P&C on an 026, and an 026 P&C on a 260 with zero modification. I have an 026 with a 260 engine on it. It runs great as an 0260 hybrid. Actually some of the very early model 260s had 44mm P&C in them, which is the opposite of mine.

The pros I've had also have the compensator carb w Hi/Lo, like my 036 pros.

Not sure if this was universal?

The Intellicarbs came later in the 026 line (both PRO and non) that was used on the 260s as well. There are two types of air filters for the 026, a smaller early one and larger later one for the Intellicarb that is also on the 260.

People of Earth: The PRO 026 and 260s only had the 2 main differences (decomp and adj. oil pump), otherwise they are the same as the non-pro saws. There were a lot of other differences over the model run for the 026 and the 260, including AL and composite top handles, open and progressively choked up mufflers, three types of fuel tank vents, red and black action levers, several different air filter and top covers, metal and plastic starters, many different carbs including fixed jet ones, rim and spur drive sprockets in 3/8 and .325, a C model with the easy adjusting chain tensioners, as well as Arctic, Winter and WVH models with heated handles, heated carbs, and a generator winding & flywheel. The 260 saws had the larger P&C on most (but not all) of them, as well as the flippy caps.

The Intellicarbs came later in the 026 line (both PRO and non) that was used on the 260s as well. There are two types of air filters for the 026, a smaller early one and larger later one for the Intellicarb that is also on the 260.

People of Earth: The PRO 026 and 260s only had the 2 main differences (decomp and adj. oil pump), otherwise they are the same as the non-pro saws. There were a lot of other differences over the model run for the 026 and the 260, including AL and composite top handles, open and progressively choked up mufflers, three types of fuel tank vents, red and black action levers, several different air filter and top covers, metal and plastic starters, many different carbs including fixed jet ones, rim and spur drive sprockets in 3/8 and .325, a C model with the easy adjusting chain tensioners, as well as Arctic, Winter and WVH models with heated handles, heated carbs, and a generator winding & flywheel. The 260 saws had the larger P&C on most (but not all) of them, as well as the flippy caps.

Are you speaking of the US version of the 026 ?
The pro saws for the Canadian market were built in West Germany and now just Germany. They are a different version from the US saws. My 1989 026 does not have a decomp valve but has the adjustable oiler and hi/lo carb adj. The US did not see this saw till 1993.

Are you speaking of the US version of the 026 ?
The pro saws for the Canadian market were built in West Germany and now just Germany. They are a different version from the US saws. My 1989 026 does not have a decomp valve but has the adjustable oiler and hi/lo carb adj. The US did not see this saw till 1993.

US models on the 026. I had an early 026 that was made in West Germany (on the side badge), which had to have been made before Germany was reunified in 1990. So they were here in the US before then. Also according to Stihl USA regarding the release date of the 026, it was in 1988 with the 044. According to the horse's mouth:

The 026 and 044 were first introduced to both the U.S. and Canada in 1988, and the MS260 was first introduced to the U.S. and Canada in 2002.

Why do you keep refuting this? It seems you keep posting contrarian information on this forum when in fact Stihl USA says otherwise, and several of us have posted it...

I buy/rebuild/sell 026s and am continually amazed at the premium that the pro sticker commands for basically worthless decomp and adjustable oiling. If you decide you need one(as they are great saws), save yourself some money and get the standard. Very dependable, power to weight ratio is good and they are a joy to work on. My favorite saw for 99% of my firewood needs.

Latest posts

Back