028 Super vs. 346XP, "The rest of the story"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever found if you tune with automotive gas and then Change to AV 100 octane gas that you lose the four stroking? What are your feelings on this?

I use 100LL and 93 e-free at 50:50, with stihl ultra at 45:1. They will run a little richer than with straight 93 e-free and 45:1 ultra. Some saws are a big difference and some do not need much of a leaning out going from all 93 to the 50-50 mix.

I am lucky to have the e-free and the 100LL mix. I don't have any super high compression saws to justify this mix and the e-free is great by itself (with stihl ultra at 45:1). Some saws can be very hard to tune with all 100LL, choppy idle and slower throttle response in my experience. I am new at tuning and do use a tach and appreciate the cleaning up in the cut (under load).

Glasses

I will add this..WFIW..to anybody...

Use 'earmuff' type hearing protection...NOT foam ear canal inserts..!!!!

Your ears were meant to release cleaning fluids just like your eyes and nose...

Don't Clog The Ear Canal Up....!!!...." Don't ask how I know"...as the expression goes..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I'd like to use muffs, I have bought several different ones..but....they hurt after a short time, get annoying. I wear prescription safety lens glasses all the time, and when you put muffs on, they pinch the arms of the glasses against your head and it sucks. I can only stand them for like ten minutes or so. I haven't seen a pair yet that had some sort of groove built, to fit over the eyeglass arms, so this wouldn't happen. Think about all the guys who have to wear glasses, then shades or regular just clear safety glasses out there, but these muffs make no provision for that.

Granted, I haven't near tried all the various brands, but I haven't even seen or heard of any that make that provision for eyeglasses.

If anyone knows of any, I am all ...ears!

Thanks gentlemen. I really didn't mean to hijack the thread. I do also have a 346xp along with the MS362, using the same fuel with the same results in both and my 2 concerns are tuning for best performance and being confident the 100LL will not cause a leaned, burnt out saw. Both saws run great right now.
I've learned here:
1. 100LL probably will cause a rich or "fat" burn with reduced WOT, possible choppy idle, and possible slower throttle.
2. Tuning a strato saw is limited and more difficult by ear.
3. Tuning any saw with 100LL can be more difficult.
4. Good insurance is to use a tach to assist when tuning a saw that is strato or burning 100LL.
5. I should probably get a tach to check WOT from time to time.
6. CAD is expensive.
Thanks again for the replies.

Well somebody "liked" this thread and dredged up this from the past.

Since then I have acquired to ported 346XPs and they are my favorite saws. The 028 super is very strong but doesn't rev or decelerate like the Husky's.

Since then I have also started using 100 Low lead aviation fuel for storing saws. This fuel is much more stable than conventional gas, even the E Free premium. Av gas is great for storing 2 & 4 stroke motors.

I have both and have run them side by side with 16 inch bars and 3/8s chain. Both have open mufflers but no other mods. My NE 346 eats my 028s lunch and feels lighter. I think the stihl is better built and I was happy with it as my only saw for a long time. 346s and 550s are just nearly perfect 50cc saws for what I do with them. You can't run a 346 without smiling.

Latest posts

Back