028 Super vs. 346XP, "The rest of the story"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will add this..WFIW..to anybody...

Use 'earmuff' type hearing protection...NOT foam ear canal inserts..!!!!

Your ears were meant to release cleaning fluids just like your eyes and nose...

Don't Clog The Ear Canal Up....!!!...." Don't ask how I know"...as the expression goes..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Yup those darn foam plugs, I keep losing them...........................

They keep falling in and I lose them.:msp_tongue:

You ported the wrong saw.

Well I am sure the 346XP would no longer be jealous if I sent her out too.:wink2:

DARN you guys and CAD!:msp_unsure::mad2:

FWIW, in the 20 years I had the 028S, this is the only maintenance issues and if NEVER failed to start:
1. The knot pulled out of the starter cord and I lost the t handle. When replaced the rope was too.
2. A bolt broke in the anti-vibe mount. Had to use a "easy out" and replace.

great saw, I do hold you guys responsible though, I was fine with my 028super until i saw the vids of that beast! Now im looking for someone to port mine.....Darn

Andrew

See guys? This is the beginning of strage 2 of CAD! Get out while you can!!!

I will add this..WFIW..to anybody...

Use 'earmuff' type hearing protection...NOT foam ear canal inserts..!!!!

Your ears were meant to release cleaning fluids just like your eyes and nose...

Don't Clog The Ear Canal Up....!!!...." Don't ask how I know"...as the expression goes..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I love it when a post like this shows up, if foam plugs caused a problem then why isn't EVERY industrial plant in the nation under a lawsuit as we speak. Millions of people wear these type of plugs every day with no ill effects.....

I love it when a post like this shows up, if foam plugs caused a problem then why isn't EVERY industrial plant in the nation under a lawsuit as we speak. Millions of people wear these type of plugs every day with no ill effects.....

I agree.

Actually foam plugs when properly inserted, abate noise more effectively than muff type. Second I find the plugs end up removing the wax from my ears, they look kind of gross for how much comes out on them.

I agree.

Actually foam plugs when properly inserted, abate noise more effectively than muff type. Second I find the plugs end up removing the wax from my ears, they look kind of gross for how much comes out on them.

I work for the airlines and use the insert ones too. Yeah,...they pull out wax I didn't know was there :msp_unsure:, but we have hundreds if not thousands of them so I can replace them anytime unless I'm out on the line (but I do keep an extra set in my shirt pocket). I like earmuffs though if I'm tuning a fuel control on a JT-8 or anything when I'm going to be next to a running eng... otherwise mostly ear plugs.

Ron, I just did a CBT on hearing protection and they say ear muffs are most effective and even more effective if worn with ear plugs. The CBT said to always use a fresh pair of ear plugs every time you use them and to wash your hands before install to avoid infection.
In the real world....that don't happen all the time. You're far away from a fresh pair, your hands are filthy, you rub your fingers on your pants to clean them best you can, wipe the chunks of wax off the old plugs you had stashed behind your ear lobes (I do that before I put them behind my earlobes and again check them before I put them back in), and lastly roll them back up and stick them in your ears.

I work for the airlines and use the insert ones too. Yeah,...they pull out wax I didn't know was there :msp_unsure:, but we have hundreds if not thousands of them so I can replace them anytime unless I'm out on the line (but I do keep an extra set in my shirt pocket). I like earmuffs though if I'm tuning a fuel control on a JT-8 or anything when I'm going to be next to a running eng... otherwise mostly ear plugs.

So do ya "tune em" for just a little 4 strokin at cruise altitude and clean out in the climb??:msp_tongue:

lol..., they actually call it trimming the eng, it's not something we need to do very often. I personally only have done it twice in the past 11 years (eight of which on the line).

Yeah....you just want a little four strok'n...hmm..hmmmm....hmmmmmm:msp_rolleyes:

I always carry some foam ear plugs in my pocket and use them often. the filthy hand thing does make the plugs dirty. I have a large qty of these but i don't dispose of the dirty ones, just switch to a clean pair. the dirty ones I gather up, put them in an old white sock and knot the end. Then they go in the washer and come out looking brand new. If you have a shirt with a button pocket, that works too. IF they get loose, they can be found in the lint filter...

I have muffs but they
1. Don't seal well with safety glasses.
2. Don't fit under a welding helmet
3. Don't work for me when shooting a rifle.
4. Are too big to put in my pocket.
5. Are never in the place I happen to need them.

Hence I carry and wear the plugs. The only time I regularly wear muffs is I use them in addition to foam plugs when running the Altec chuck-n-duck chipper. Need it for the noise and it also keeps your ears from getting "whipped".

I also use a headset in airplanes for noise attenuation.

Ron, I just did a CBT on hearing protection and they say ear muffs are most effective and even more effective if worn with ear plugs. The CBT said to always use a fresh pair of ear plugs every time you use them and to wash your hands before install to avoid infection.
In the real world....that don't happen all the time. You're far away from a fresh pair, your hands are filthy, you rub your fingers on your pants to clean them best you can, wipe the chunks of wax off the old plugs you had stashed behind your ear lobes (I do that before I put them behind my earlobes and again check them before I put them back in), and lastly roll them back up and stick them in your ears.

Well I can't believe it by I was wrong.:hmm3grin2orange:

I just looked up the standards and there is a factor to use when comparing the package NRR.
OSH Answers: Hearing Protectors

lol..., they actually call it trimming the eng, it's not something we need to do very often. I personally only have done it twice in the past 11 years (eight of which on the line).

Yeah....you just want a little four strok'n...hmm..hmmmm....hmmmmmm:msp_rolleyes:

Have you ever found if you tune with automotive gas and then Change to AV 100 octane gas that you lose the four stroking? What are your feelings on this?

Have you ever found if you tune with automotive gas and then Change to AV 100 octane gas that you lose the four stroking? What are your feelings on this?

Haven't used 100LL for saws. I've just been running the same crappy highest octane pump gas we can all get mixed with the oil of my choice. I think oil is key, FWIW..

Also, when I say trimming an engine I'm talking about jet engines

Last edited:
"go fat and drop some speed" to me means richer and slower and more four stroking?

I'll be more specific. A few weeks ago I bought a new MS362. I quizzed the dealer if he had checked the tune. He said yes with a tach and it four stroked a little WOT. I took it home and put my mix in which is AV gas with Stihl Ultra 50:1. Not a trace of four stroking. Of course the new cocktail can change the tune but enough to be a concern? I'm thrilled with the way it runs but then again it is the most HP I've ever had. It pulls my 25" bar buried in white oak with only light pressure, mostly only have a 20" on it.

Some say it's best to tune a strato saw with a tach. You say?

"go fat and drop some speed" to me means richer and slower and more four stroking?

I'll be more specific. A few weeks ago I bought a new MS362. I quizzed the dealer if he had checked the tune. He said yes with a tach and it four stroked a little WOT. I took it home and put my mix in which is AV gas with Stihl Ultra 50:1. Not a trace of four stroking. Of course the new cocktail can change the tune but enough to be a concern? I'm thrilled with the way it runs but then again it is the most HP I've ever had. It pulls my 25" bar buried in white oak with only light pressure, mostly only have a 20" on it.

Some say it's best to tune a strato saw with a tach. You say?

To be honest with ya, I've only worked on one or two stratos and it was a 576 (I think) and I remember having a hard time getting it to remotely sound like it was four stroking. I actually asked a friend who is way more familiar with stratos about; my concern and he said the factory kinda made that carb system idiot proof so no matter how lean you put the high it will still not burn its self up. I still left it out about 1-1/4 or more just to feel safe. Your saw is probably good to go....the four stroking you heard was prolly faint to begin with..?...

Latest posts

Back