029 super vs 361/362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is turning into a classic/cliched "vs" thread. On the millions of forums on the web from firearms to chainsaws to cars when someone asks what's best or "x vs y" things get muddy real quick. People want to make the most of their money so its instinct to want to know what is the most bang for their buck. Sometimes that means being able to buy top-tier, sometimes not. Its too easy to spend hours looking at specification charts and comparing numbers.

Do you use your saw once a month? Week? Day? Buy/use a saw that meets your needs unless you can afford one that meets your wants.

This is turning into a classic/cliched "vs" thread. On the millions of forums on the web from firearms to chainsaws to cars when someone asks what's best or "x vs y" things get muddy real quick. People want to make the most of their money so its instinct to want to know what is the most bang for their buck. Sometimes that means being able to buy top-tier, sometimes not. Its too easy to spend hours looking at specification charts and comparing numbers.

Do you use your saw once a month? Week? Day? Buy/use a saw that meets your needs unless you can afford one that meets your wants.

With all do respect, I thought I made it clear in my OP that I was just curious. I already have a 029S and have seen umpteen postings on the 361/2 being such a great saw. Just thought a little clarification/discussion might be in order as to why (vs). The fact that I may be in the market in the future was something I threw in because the thread started leaning that way. That was not my initial intention. Maybe I shouldn't have responded the way I did - as it may have frustrated some people. The handful of first responses answered my question. But then discussion continued - out of my control. :dunno:

I didn't mean to get nasty, or start anything, but I'm inclined to think rationally about things that have known factors, such as hp, rpms and weight. Please believe me when I tell you I know the difference between cheap stuff and superior stuff. Fancy names (Pro) and numbers don't impress me much. I judge saws on price, horse power and weight. A lot more money for little more measured horse power and nearly identical weight doesn't sell me. Not convinced a "pro" saw will actually outlast a mid-range saw with normal usage.

As far as assembling either saw, they both appear to be relatively simple. Tuning them may require a little skill, but putting the pieces together for either design? I don't think so. The clam shell design requires a few more screws be removed, but does not require a "case splitting" tool, or any other specialty tools.

I invite all to view a video someone put together on "Rebuilding a MS250" on youtube. The guy takes it start to finish in less than an hour, replacing bearings, piston and cylinder. This is a clam shell design and it went remarkably quick and appreared to be very user friendly.

I didn't mean to get nasty, or start anything

With all do respect, I thought I made it clear in my OP that I was just curious

Its not a big deal. Your 029S is a great saw -- that should be said first. You are a mid-range user with a mid-range saw...makes sense to me. And in that capacity it will last for a long time if you keep up with the servicing.

But its a chainsaw so that means you can't just have one. :rock: Lord knows trees don't come in just one size -- and if the 029S won't cut it I would be on the lookout for a used 046.

Last edited:
The hard to work on thing is way overrated also. Once you pull apart a few 025 or 029 family of saws they are not very hard at all. The amount of time to pull an 029 vs say an 036 down is trivial imo if you have done a few of them. I'd like to see someone beat me changing the crank or bearings on an 029 vs an 036. ;).

The argument that is valid is their power to weight ratio isn't all that great. The fragility, hard to work on, little longevity are arguments that don't hold much water imo.

Yup, it's just a chainsaw and I'll probably be needing a few more sizes due to newly acquired CAD. Been looking at Makita 6421 at Home Depot. Mine had none for sale today. Also looking for a cheap 024 or 026 project to kill time and learn on.

Regarding the hard to work on....With proper maintenance, fresh fuel with the correct oil ratio, sharp chains, knowing the limits of the saw, etc., how often does a 029/290/MS290 need to be taken apart? I'm guessing not very often :msp_thumbup:.

The 029/MS290 wasn't offered for sale here, and judged by the 390, that was for good reasons! :msp_smile:

Last edited:
No wonder you are grumpy sometimes, you guys don't get any of Stihl's greatest models!!!:msp_w00t:

Well, the MS361s we got here was better than the US ones - different cylinder and muffler. :D

They dumped the price on the MS390 a few years ago down to MS250 level, but I almost puked when I tried to handle one - what a :bang::bang::bang: turd of a over-heavy, bad handling and cheap plasticy creation!

If you pay for #### - #### is what you get, mostly!

Last edited:
Well, the MS361s we got here was better than the US ones - different cylinder and muffler. :D

They dumped the price on the MS390 a few years ago down to MS250 level, but I almost puked when I tried to handle one - what a :bang::bang::bang: turd of a over-heavy, bad handling and cheap plasticy creation!If you pay for #### - #### is what you get, mostly!

Glad to see I am not the only one who feels this way...

Most pro level saws have more HP per cc than their Mid range counterparts. The ms 290 is rated at 3.8 and the ms 362 at 4.6. I have a 290 and a 261 which is a smaller saw with equal HP. I prefer the 261 and am actually selling the 290. This is also true with Huskys saws for instance 353 3.3 hp, 346xp 3.7 hp. though I don't believe the 353 is a clamshell saw.

Back