039/MS390 vs. 036/MS360

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A route to go, maybe. A better saw, maybe, maybe not. Definitely a choice, get a 156, 162 JD or an Efco 165, 156 another route too. OP wanted Stihls though, his money. I sold the Stihls (029 Super, MS360) and kept the JD 156, but thats what I did because I wanted to, not cause the Stihls weren't up to the JD. I'd buy the Efco/Deere anyday over the 290/310/390 series however.

A route to go, maybe. A better saw, maybe, maybe not. Definitely a choice, get a 156, 162 JD or an Efco 165, 156 another route too. OP wanted Stihls though, his money. I sold the Stihls (029 Super, MS360) and kept the JD 156, but thats what I did because I wanted to, not cause the Stihls weren't up to the JD. I'd buy the Efco/Deere anyday over the 290/310/390 series however.

Also a very good recomondation the 165!

super.gif

Thought I would bring this thread back to life. I have and run the dog snot out of both saws. Lots of sound knowledge from several members on this subject.
Master mind hit it spot on.
However I must admit that for shear cutting power,,,,I will take the 390 hands down every time.
18in bar on both usually, run 100 octane in the 390, it luvs it like candy.
The 360 doesnt have enuff compression to handle high octane,even after I set squish at .017 during a woods port that I did myself. Run 93 octane in it. I mix all my gas at 32/1..
Fell a tree n I grab the pro saw for brushing, when I get into decent size limbs or bucking trunks on trees up to 24 in. I grab the 390. That saw is a torque monster! Only mod to it is da muffler and the airbreather cover gots sum holes drilled in it. I took a scotchbrite pad n placed it under the rear cover as a prefilter to keep chips out.
Good gas,rich oil mix and keep the breather clean and any saw will last as long as it isnt run to lean.
I dont plan on unloading either one,360 is my small saw.
For big wood that 390 is to small if yer cutting 3,4 ft trunks much.
I myself live to buck and noodle big hardwood basewood, but thats when I grab a 390xp or a 394 xp.

Latest posts

Back