180 miles chasing saws and still don't suck...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
Twas one of those days... guy called about some saws he wanted me to sell. Found out he was about 65 miles away and wasn't keen on going that far after a couple fixer uppers (Husqvarna 460 and 350) then he started talking 'bout other stuff he had to sell and finally got me talked into making the drive. Well I got to his meeting place and when I saw the two saws I about choked. They were a fur piece from what I envisioned based on his flowery description. Anyway, I went to another location where he had some more stuff and then to another location and then another location and then another location. (7 places in all I believe) I wound up buying a number of saws and there wasn't a single one of them that was complete. Most of them had some sort of physical damage or engine locked up or scored piston or... I spent hours and hours doing this wild goose chase. It won't be until I have some additional opportunity to triage this stuff that I find out if I'm going to do ok on it or if I was really stupid...
On the way home I picked up a couple Stihls (026 and 032) that I had purchased a couple days ago. Those two saws are definitely the best of the bunch...
So what I brought home is:
Most of a Husky 460
some of a Husky 350
a bit of a Husky 55
a little bit of a Husky 445
Most of a Husky 3120
a pile of MS200T parts and pieces
a few misc bars
A pile of chains (some rusted stiff)
A small Poulan pro (2/3 of it)
Some of a Stihl 034AV (seized)
There isn't much in this "collection" that I intend to fix. Most of it will be parts fodder or eBayed as parts saws. The Stihl 026 and 032 I will get running, keep the 026 and flip the 032.
I have a full day scheduled tomorrow but I'm whupped this evening.

Twas one of those days... guy called about some saws he wanted me to sell. Found out he was about 65 miles away and wasn't keen on going that far after a couple fixer uppers (Husqvarna 460 and 350) then he started talking 'bout other stuff he had to sell and finally got me talked into making the drive. Well I got to his meeting place and when I saw the two saws I about choked. They were a fur piece from what I envisioned based on his flowery description. Anyway, I went to another location where he had some more stuff and then to another location and then another location and then another location. (7 places in all I believe) I wound up buying a number of saws and there wasn't a single one of them that was complete. Most of them had some sort of physical damage or engine locked up or scored piston or... I spent hours and hours doing this wild goose chase. It won't be until I have some additional opportunity to triage this stuff that I find out if I'm going to do ok on it or if I was really stupid...
On the way home I picked up a couple Stihls (026 and 032) that I had purchased a couple days ago. Those two saws are definitely the best of the bunch...
So what I brought home is:
Most of a Husky 460
some of a Husky 350
a bit of a Husky 55
a little bit of a Husky 445
Most of a Husky 3120
a pile of MS200T parts and pieces
a few misc bars
A pile of chains (some rusted stiff)
A small Poulan pro (2/3 of it)
Some of a Stihl 034AV (seized)
There isn't much in this "collection" that I intend to fix. Most of it will be parts fodder or eBayed as parts saws. The Stihl 026 and 032 I will get running, keep the 026 and flip the 032.
I have a full day scheduled tomorrow but I'm whupped this evening.
How much of the 3120 did you end up with ?

How much of the 3120 did you end up with ?
Well, it's disassembled with the piston hanging out of the case, most of the plastics are there loose, the top handle couldn't be located at any of the many places we went. The jug has transfer and a "chip" out of the bottom of one of the ports. I don't think much of the hardware is present (screws, etc). I'll need to lay that one out and see whether it's worth selling "whole" or as bits and pieces" I'm sure it could be brought back from the dead but at what cost?? That saw needs to carry most of the weight of my purchases. The MS200T stuff sounds good on paper but it's not much value. The majority of it is busted up. Probably not enough in the pile to make a complete saw. I'm probably going to sell all of that as one lot on eBay. By "volume" this "score" looks pretty good. That is until one starts looking for good parts and pieces and finds most of them are bent, cracked, scored, etc. I buy a lot of used saws and think I paid fair prices but it won't be until later that I find out where I'm at with it.
I do it for sport so it doesn't really matter all that much, keeps me from building race cars or something expensive.

Got to fill out some paperwork for the FAA, go get a flight physical, find a place to drop off a cat that our puppy adopted, take wife out for 27th anniversary dinner, etc. It's possible I may not even get the totes and boxes dumped out today.

What model is the poulan pro? I have a 260 that the piston - (at least) is cooked and if I had a piston .... Good luck on the haul in any case Jeff
The Poulan pro is a 335. It is actually the most complete saw of the bunch. I think the only thing missing is the bar/chain and clutch cover. I likely have all of those items in the pile. Probably needs fuel lines, has good compression.

The Poulan pro is a 335. It is actually the most complete saw of the bunch. I think the only thing missing is the bar/chain and clutch cover. I likely have all of those items in the pile. Probably needs fuel lines, has good compression.
don't forget the impulse mine was bad and it looked like new
great saw once muffler modded.

Latest posts

Back