2 hand on the chainsaw at all times when cutting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you...

That's the most important thing to consider when deciding to cut one handed...where will the saw go...and I might add where will the bit of wood go?

I know my hand saw has been more dangerous to me...fingers, forearms, shins, all of them carry that distinctive zig zag pattern of Silky holes!! But at least the damage is only temporary, not a full strength follow through...now that could rival a chainsaw cut for sure in some instances!

How about switch handing a saw? I had to do it quite a bit the other day...

well maybe not as dangerous as a hand saw. I think the injuries aren't as severe with a hand saw but probably pretty numerous. I don't have a hand saw, I lost it. I use it for shrubbery and it must have been kicked into some leaves or something. I only take the chain saw up with me. I don't like usiing hand saws in the tree, its to hard, way to hard and I am sure if I did I would have a lot more preforations than I do now.

well maybe not as dangerous as a hand saw. I think the injuries aren't as severe with a hand saw but probably pretty numerous. I don't have a hand saw, I lost it. I use it for shrubbery and it must have been kicked into some leaves or something. I only take the chain saw up with me. I don't like usiing hand saws in the tree, its to hard, way to hard and I am sure if I did I would have a lot more preforations than I do now.

climb with no handsaw, not another one do you go fishing with no knife? i always have my handsaw just incase even if im doing a removal where i would never even need it its there, if you ever gotta cut yourself free and one arm stuck, pinched, or gone you cant start the 200t with one hand..........or can u i never tried.....

:chainsawguy:ANSI rule... how many of you actually follow this with a light top handle chainsaw never mind a bigger saw chunkin wood. I know for a fact that I do not.. especially when stackin brush out of the bucket.

I honestly use one handed cuts in the tree more than I do with both hands. Seems the other hand is usually pushing a chunk, or pushing a lead while cutting, etc.

Wow, no handsaw?
A good silky handsaw is like a third hand, and can cut so much more precisely on smaller branches than the 200...I feel naked without my silky...
Bashing around a tree with the 200 for just a prune is guaranteed to raise my blood pressure.

I love a handsaw for cutting suckers out of my way, but I know a guy that just doesn't like useing one and he's a pretty quick climber. Everybody kinda has there own way of doing things.

climb with no handsaw, not another one do you go fishing with no knife? i always have my handsaw just incase even if im doing a removal where i would never even need it its there, if you ever gotta cut yourself free and one arm stuck, pinched, or gone you cant start the 200t with one hand..........or can u i never tried.....

what if, what if, what if. By the way, I live about 10 miles from a nuclear power plant.

most climbers use a stihl 200t.the results: one handing.

most climbers use a stihl 200t.therefor most climbers cut one handing while aloft.that saw is not designed to be held comfortably with both hands.Its handle is improperly placed and the saw is balanced in such a way to encourage the use of only one hand.
like it,love it,hate it matters not.acknowledge it at least to remain safe.

yeah,all top handle saw's are easy to use with just one hand.I'm just saying the most common saw used, is more apt to be used improperly.(yes lol,like it or not,one handing a chain saw is improperly using the tool.it truly is not safe.not claiming to never do it however.)

Last edited:
Wow, no handsaw?
A good silky handsaw is like a third hand, and can cut so much more precisely on smaller branches than the 200...I feel naked without my silky...
Bashing around a tree with the 200 for just a prune is guaranteed to raise my blood pressure.

You have seen my prune jobs. Does it look like I am doing a lot of undo bashing?

I honestly use one handed cuts in the tree more than I do with both hands. Seems the other hand is usually pushing a chunk, or pushing a lead while cutting, etc.

:agree2: Thats pretty much was my point in saying sometimes its safer one handing with a good top handle

Odd one out here, not for my higher than thou OH&S just never liked top handles even in trees. I started with 020 but found a 024 or later the 026 better for me aloft. Slung though the rear handle off me harness they would pull easyer through limbs n snags and sort most jobs from top to bottom without any fuss. I could cut and hold or with log wood double cut and snap so when shown top handles just shrugged and left em to small and buzzie for me.
Interesting picture stats if to believed show high left hand injury's so... Keep both hands on ya tool at all times.

The company I work for doesn't allow one handed cutting at all. But when you are up in the bucket over a road with traffic without flaggers (yeah I know, you are probably asking why not hire some. The company is cheap) you need to hold the limb, cut it and then either swing it to the side of the road or move your boom till the limbs out of the way and then drop it.

When clearing powerlines it's near impossible to cut with two hands 100% of the time

I wish I had a tail like a monkey, but I don't, so, yeah, of course.:deadhorse:

Wow, no handsaw?

Plenty of proper NTP cuts can be made with the 200/20. When they get real small a handsaw is in order but can also be accomplished with the 200 (very sharp one) in an upward motion to finish. There is some degree of danger in handsaw use as well, esp. pull oriented teeth handsaws.

I use a handsaw and have for my decades long career but have not been able to make myself buy a "Silky" ("me and my Silky" threads) just because....well....it sounds kinda gay. :biggrinbounce2:

I think that chart posted by the Ozzie is likely both HO's and pros.

I'm sure there's a situation that will come about where I'll be forced to think long and hard about taking one hand off the saw, but since I committed to kick the habit 2 years ago it hasn't happened. If I can't find a better work position for the cut or take it with the handsaw, then let's rig big. I've watched plenty of better arborists than me juggle a big piece and a saw with a finger on the trigger/no chainbrake and if that makes perfect sense to you as an operator, good for you.
I love getting that look of shock from people assuming I haven't discovered how to take my hand off the front handle and use it like a weapon.

If there is one AS member on here that HONESTLY uses both hands AT ALL TIMES while aloft, I will buy you a case of beer, your choice, and fedex it to you, on ice, in a brand new igloo cooler.

I'm not gonna lie, I wield the 200 one-handed all the time, when the situation calls for it.

I got bit too, left index finger, while piecing out a large white birch up in the bucket. Limb in the left hand, saw in the right. After the cut, the limb pulled my left hand into the tip of the bar as the saw was decellerating (the limb was heavier than I thought...) and I cut myself good. I can still count to ten, though.

Its such a broad sweeping statement. Is it possible to make every cut with both hands on a climbing saw while in the tree? I suppose so but its not realistic. Just think before you cut " where is the saw going to end up?"
personally, I think hand saws are more dangerous but it seems there isn't much evidence to support that.

This is a smart answer. Who are you and what have you done with TheDan??

I was taught and teach my guys to keep both hands on the 200t. Occasionally I find myself breaking the rule where I feel that is the safest option to achieve the job.

Rear handle saws are a different matter. Its 2 hands or walk home.

And don't get me started on Silkys. I have cut myself more times sheathing that damn Zubat than I can count. Its almost as though they have a finger seeking function...

Back