262XP Day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy

This might have been hashed out years ago, but with Finger Porting, are you worried about the loss of ring support in these cylinders and long term longevity?

I'm sending mine to Randy D and he's going to play around with his, mine and Bill Elliot's.

That's a lot of aluminum being hogged out of these cylinders and I'd be a little concerned about the ring support.

I know this has been hashed out in this thread, but I ain't looking through 30 pages.

I have a cylinder with a decomp that I cleaned up, I also just acquired a clean cylinder with no decomp that is heading my way (Kafier I thought he said)

What of these two cylinders is the better one of the two (if there is a lick of difference)

I know this has been hashed out in this thread, but I ain't looking through 30 pages.

I have a cylinder with a decomp that I cleaned up, I also just acquired a clean cylinder with no decomp that is heading my way (Kafier I thought he said)

What of these two cylinders is the better one of the two (if there is a lick of difference)
Kafar is NOT a good cyl. for high performance.

Randy

This might have been hashed out years ago, but with Finger Porting, are you worried about the loss of ring support in these cylinders and long term longevity?
I have wondered the same thing. I guess it depends on the amount of use and the application you are going to use your 262. for the average Joe, like me, it will be 10-15 cords of wood a year, or less. Finger porting might cut the life of the rings in half but that's still 10yrs of average use IMO. Replacing the rings is pretty quick anyway.

Wuts with all this 60cc chat? 70+ is where its at. :) :)

agreed, although my favorite period is 87cc 288xp . This thread has been awesome though, theres been "idle" talk of doing a comparison between the current offering and the "classic hotrod 262xp" for years. Randy finally put a thread together for us and it has been sweet. Never expected it to make it to 30 pages. Glad there is a lot of "meat and potatos" in the thread and not just BS.:clap:

agreed, although my favorite period is 87cc 288xp . This thread has been awesome though, theres been "idle" talk of doing a comparison between the current offering and the "classic hotrod 262xp" for years. Randy finally put a thread together for us and it has been sweet. Never expected it to make it to 30 pages. Glad there is a lot of "meat and potatos" in the thread and not just BS.:clap:
Very well said Steven.

I have wondered the same thing. I guess it depends on the amount of use and the application you are going to use your 262. for the average Joe, like me, it will be 10-15 cords of wood a year, or less. Finger porting might cut the life of the rings in half but that's still 10yrs of average use IMO. Replacing the rings is pretty quick anyway.

If there's a good bevel on the fingers........I don't think there will be any accelerated ring wear. Notice that the uppermost part of the finger is vertical. That matters too I believe.

If there's a good bevel on the fingers........I don't think there will be any accelerated ring wear. Notice that the uppermost part of the finger is vertical. That matters too I believe.
Makes sense that a good bevel would ease the ring wear considerably. Would like to see what compression is after a few seasons. I admire the thorough job you do on your finger ports. Not just performance but durability factored into the equation.

You really don't want the top to be flat though.

If you cut the finger in with an AlumaHog burr, and stay down a few .001s you can finish the top with a very small burr in the right angle, and make a nice radius in the back.

These are the tools and burrs I use on fingers.

View attachment 418554 View attachment 418555
Randy,
The dimension of the burr, is it the 1/4" head you use on the bridge/finger porting?
And when we are speaking about carbide burrs, what dimensions and type head would you say is a must have when it comes to porting?

Over to 262 jugs, I didnt check with a caliper, but my eyes tell me that the upper transfer is different KS vs Mahle.
A standard KS jug seems to be wider, while the Mahle jug seems to have a longer opening time.
On the batch you worked on, did you got the same impression?

I know we spoked earlier to shave or not on the lower transfer lip and that is not meeded on a 262 jug.
But if we took a 254 jug, is that more a typhical jug where it would give a tad to shave of the lip a bit?

Latest posts

Back