288vs390vs2100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

that would be 24.5 lbs with a 24 inch bar and chain. 20.3 for just the power head.
husky2100013.jpg

I thought the 288 had spring AV also. I seems like the one I ran did because I think I remember one of the springs being right out in front of the saw under the muffler.

Yes one spring, so did the 2100 and I think it was only if you had the full wrap handle, the other 6 were rubber.

288's had all rubber in the tank to crankcase early on, with the one big spring out front from the dawg to tank.....they went to a combo of spring rubber in the tank to crankcase in the late years. The 288lite did not have the big spring out front. The 2100 did not have a spring av out front, that was the 2101. The 2100 ended up getting a big rubber av out front after a few years. It runs all rubber from tank to crankcase.

Well i came across a 298xp and jumped on it. I've ran a couple tanks through it and here is what I've taken from my experience so far. Yes it is heavy, it loves gas. Sound is amazing and is way more saw than i thought. It is also smoother too. This is a fine saw.

Well i came across a 298xp and jumped on it. I've ran a couple tanks through it and here is what I've taken from my experience so far. Yes it is heavy, it loves gas. Sound is amazing and is way more saw than i thought. It is also smoother too. This is a fine saw.

Welcome to the 6 cube club, now there is no tree that you can't conquer.

And i thought my ported 372 big bore was strong... when running the 298 chaps are. a must cause the saw dust might penetrate your legs from force

I like the 390xp a lot. Really good power to weight ratio. Especially so when ported IMHO. Plus great AV and air filtration. Just a great modern day saw.

Go forth, and conquer!

Ty for letting me know. Ive been cutting wood or around it all my life, but just recently been diagnosed with a start of cad. I've came across a lot of resources and know a lot of ppl with old used up saws or things they don't feel like fixing and have been comming across then reasonable. But just wasn't sure what to look for. So Ty again for the knowledge shared on this site and this thread.

390 or 2188 all the way, why bother buying an antique if your going to work it. I dont have anything against the 288, I have a 281 in the garage, but for all practical purposes the 390/2188 will leave you with far more productivity, and you wont have to go digging for parts if you need them.

Tho I've never run a 390 . I have cut several million feet with the 288 . I'm really looking forward to getting 390 s but if chain saw development had ceased with the 288Xpw I could cut for the rest of my life totally satisfied with my saw . The plastic tank spring mounted 288 that is .

put a new rope and tapped out the air filter cover bolts tonight. I'm really liking this saw, just sad about where my 372 will fit in between the 200t, 346 and now 298. it just screams. Not at all what i expected i was expecting it to be like a 066 which it is not, it has got to be turning a good 2k more rpm than an 066 right??? Anyone ever put a tac on a 066 or a 2100???

put a new rope and tapped out the air filter cover bolts tonight. I'm really liking this saw, just sad about where my 372 will fit in between the 200t, 346 and now 298. it just screams. Not at all what i expected i was expecting it to be like a 066 which it is not, it has got to be turning a good 2k more rpm than an 066 right??? Anyone ever put a tac on a 066 or a 2100???

You are way off, RPM's for a 066 are in the 13000 area and probably around 10000 to 11000 in the wood where as the 2100 and your 298 are cutting at 8500 RPM. It is all about torque and the 298 has it in spades. I made a video of a 066 and 2100 as I own both. Both have 30inch bars with new skip tooth chain, the 066 actually has a 32 inch bar and the Husky flat out cuts it in the big wood.

[video=youtube;Gc3SvfDwkXo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc3SvfDwkXo[/video]

I guess they are off, I've watched your 066 vs 2100 video countless times lol. Ironically it was one of the ones that made me jump on the 298...

Latest posts

Back