? 30 Stihl MS 260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cromp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
€ 30 Stihl MS 260

I bought a Stihl MS 260 for € 30 from a guy who loaned his saw out – it got straight gassed. He took the cylinder and air filter off, and even pulled the crank seal from the clutch side.
So I didn’t buy a saw, but a box of parts…

I cleaned the cylinder up with hydrochloric acid and 600 grit sandpaper, put a new Meteor piston in (€ 30, ebay). Took a few hours to clean up all the aluminium transfer. With a piece of drinking can I managed to get the crank seal in place.
When I tested the saw she instantly flooded. The choke shutter spring in the air filter was installed the wrong way around. Took me a while to figure that out. :dizzy:
Anyway, she runs great now, I got a 16’’ 3/8 bar and a RSC and RMC chain.
Only thing left to fix are the rubber AV mounts who have gone all floppy; the tank housing contacts the engine block whenever I move the saw. I suppose that’s not OK?

Some pictures :

DSC_3344.JPG

DSC_3345.JPG

DSC_3348.JPG

DSC_3353.JPG

This is the second saw I brought "back from the dead".

lookin nice with the wonders you can do with soda can to fix stuff

I gotta ask, What's the soda can have to do with the crank seal? I got beer bottles do they work? :greenchainsaw:

Dan

Steveo, this is the euro version of the saw. Apparently this has a different muffler than the US-CAN. It's rated 3,5 hp stock, too.

Trigger Man, you can use a piece of a soda can to protect the inside diameter of the crank seal when you use it to cover the thread of the crank.

Weather permitting, I'll use the saw for the first time on saaturday. I did run it already, had to pull the limiter off the h-screw, as the saw was running at 15000 rpm (I use aspen fuel).

Back