32 or 36 bar- 066 dual port muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh1981

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Not sure what I should get. 32 or 36. full skip of course. just not sure on bar size. 32 or 36? Will use to cut 2-3 feet wood, and more. got 20 inch bar on it now. I like idea of 36 but 32 might be ok?

not sure.

stihl bar or oregon? stihl chain or oregon?

will be cutting hardwoods.

thanks for help.

The Oregon reduced weight bars are expensive, but they are alot lighter, especially with the longer bars. They help the balance of the saw greatly. Worth the extra coin IMO if you can swing the cash.

The Stihl ES bars are great bars. Will be pretty heavy but you gotta pay to play I reckon. Just won't have to pay as bad with a RW bar. Back-wise that is. :) Its the other way around wallet-wise though.:)

What's better stihl semi skip or Oregon skip and why and bar which better oregon or stihl and why I have Oregon 16 full chisel on 361 it's good 20 inch bar stihl 066 mag with stihl rsc chain. Haven't noticed a lit of difference stihl seems to be a little better but again haven't noticed a lot of difference

Stihl chain is heat treated harder than Oregon. I prefer it in hardwood. Both are good though. Carlton is hard like Stihl but cheap like Oregon. Its the woodlandpro brand at Baileys.

32 or 36 doesn't much matter. They are both huge and the saw should handle either so just pick.

What's better stihl semi skip or Oregon skip and why and bar which better oregon or stihl and why I have Oregon 16 full chisel on 361 it's good 20 inch bar stihl 066 mag with stihl rsc chain. Haven't noticed a lit of difference stihl seems to be a little better but again haven't noticed a lot of difference

Stihl ES is a very good solid bar. Oregon Pro solid bars are very similar. The Stihl has a heavier duty replaceable tip with more rivets and you can choose the number of teeth on the tip. Lightweight bar I don't know anything about other than that they cost a lot! There are lots of other good bars too. You just need to decide if you want solid, laminated, or reduced weight laminated

The 660 won't have a problem with a 32" for sure. Pick whatever bar fits your budget. I like the RW on bars that long. It is much easier on the back after a couple hours of cutting. If you're only going to use it falling and blocking up wood then the rw won't be as much of a help unless you do a lot of limbing with it too. I would run semi skip or full skip unless you just like to sharpen a lot of teeth.

I'd go for a Oregon RW in either 32" or 36", they are expensive but worth the costs. If they are too much, look at the Stihl ES bars. They can't be beat for wear and durability. For chain, full skip RSC.

I have found that a 25" bar will do just about any job a 36" bar will do in the Southeast. I cut 24"-36" diameter trees (mostly hardwood) with a a sp125 with a 26" bar. A saw with 36" bar will get heavy after a while. You will be surprised how much easier it is to handle a saw without the extra 12" of bar. Of course, you can take what I say with a grain of salt.

This question is so vague

True. Are you just bucking up firewood? If you are not used to it, the difference between a 32 and a 36 can be huge. I like the ES Stihl bars for there price, durability and ease of purchase. I run full-skip on either a 32 or 36in. bar. Chain wise, I don't think it matters that much. Just get any name brand and keep it sharp. Other than stumping, I prefer chisel.

32" Stihl bar full comp with Stihl chain. Unless your cutting outside of 3' a lot a 36" bar starts to get kinda whippy. It will sag a little when starting your cuts when felling. Full comp because I like how it cuts and limbs and a MM 660 can handle it no problem. You might get occasional chip cloggin if your stumpin with a 36" but as for power no problem.

What are you doing?

Thank you for all replies. Now I have thinking to do.

What am I doing? Firewood cutting. Felling eventually and cutting hardwood for firewood now problly pine for outside firepit later after I get some land back outside of town in a yr or so.

With a good 066 have you thought about milling?
If so, the bigger the better.
Just don't bury it all in the wood.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back