346 husky 28in bar Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang, long time no see. You back in the game??:jawdrop:

I never left the game. I just don't play the AS game very ofter. LOL I do look on here from time to time. I think I may stay and post here for a while.
Every time I get on here and read for a while I find all kinds of posts that give out wrong information. These come from people that are supposed to know what they are talking about. I will try to correct some of that.
Later
Dan

I never left the game. I just don't play the AS game very ofter. LOL I do look on here from time to time. I think I may stay and post here for a while.
Every time I get on here and read for a while I find all kinds of posts that give out wrong information. These come from people that are supposed to know what they are talking about. I will try to correct some of that.
Later
Dan

I have one of your saws that made it out west here. A 385 from a guy in rainer Oregon. At least he said it was a PP saw.

I believe this is the one a few of you were looking for.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wdZ3Xm-46cQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wdZ3Xm-46cQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That's the one, thanks. Says a lot about running sharp, something that tends to be forgotten - Sam

Well if you think a 28" on a 346XP is bad would everybody be upset if I told them I set my mate's stock 029 up with a 32" GB Pro Top for the odd larger tree - hardwood too?
All I did was remove 50% of the cutters. It is not bar length that kills saws (if the oiler can keep up) but the number of cutters in the wood.

Is it a weapon? No.
Is it recommended? No.
Would I personally do it? Hell no.
Could it run a 32" bar with semi chisel 3/8" chain with 50% less cutters buried to the hilt in Tasmanian Bluegum? Yes :) (without loading it up too much of course).

What it did achieve however was the ability to cut the odd larger tree without having to buy a new saw. That was done for somebody who at the time couldn't afford a new saw. He hasn't used that 32" bar much at all, but when he's needed it a 20" wouldn't have done the job.

I dont know! But I do know a guy running a 346 with a 28 shouldnt be asking that ???? Unless He's looking in the mirror!

Now where did you come from? Do you know why the saw was set up that way? I will give you the same hint like I did dorian. It has to do with working in timber.
I know your one of those guys that talks the words before he types them. So maybe you should think before you open it and it goes on the comp screen.

I have a smokin little 346 that will pull 24" all day long, has for 500-700 hours. Balance feels fine, bar wear nothing out of the ordinary. 3/8 semi skip. I can tell you it's about perfect for the work it is doing - and some folks that haven't touched or even gotten close to it or the work will tell me it is not.

I took the oiler to be the same as 357, for it's direct replacement capability. I should not of known better however, and it is just a modicum of my immense ignorance. - cheers

I guess a guy is entitled to put whatever size bar on whatever motor they want, however, it does come done to efficiency, speed and production.
The majority don't care about these factors as most of their cutting is more recreational than commercial.
All of us can admit to using the wrong tool for the job whether its a saw or a hammer.
John

346-3.jpg

I guess a guy is entitled to put whatever size bar on whatever motor they want, however, it does come done to efficiency, speed and production.
The majority don't care about these factors as most of their cutting is more recreational than commercial.
All of us can admit to using the wrong tool for the job whether its a saw or a hammer.
John

I assume you're using an oiler off of a 3120?:ices_rofl:

..All of us can admit to using the wrong tool for the job whether its a saw or a hammer.
John

well see there, just like I said sir. My use happens to be commercial, it's the right tool for the job, and I'm not alone in it. Aside from that though - all tools are hammers, except for chisels - they are screwdrivers. jk

Eric

well see there, just like I said sir. My use happens to be commercial, it's the right tool for the job, and I'm not alone in it. Aside from that though - all tools are hammers, except for chisels - they are screwdrivers. jk

Eric

Lol, I find if it can't be fixed with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem.
John

I have a smokin little 346 that will pull 24" all day long, has for 500-700 hours. Balance feels fine, bar wear nothing out of the ordinary. 3/8 semi skip. I can tell you it's about perfect for the work it is doing - and some folks that haven't touched or even gotten close to it or the work will tell me it is not. I took the oiler to be the same as 357, for it's direct replacement capability. I should not of known better however, and it is just a modicum of my immense ignorance. - cheers

So True.

Now where did you come from? Do you know why the saw was set up that way? I will give you the same hint like I did dorian. It has to do with working in timber.
I know your one of those guys that talks the words before he types them. So maybe you should think before you open it and it goes on the comp screen.

No I read , I understood why it was set up that way, And yes I thought before I typed, thought some more, still think its ridiculous!! Yes you can run what ever bar you want on your 346, keep in mind though it tells alot about how your brain works, or doesn't. I would at least keep it a secret if i wanted to try something that stupid!

Mrs Ironbark let you get one. LOL How are you guys? Me a the wife were wondering how things are with you two.

Yes, she "let" me get one LOL. Got it from a saw shop in NY state last year. Only got a 15" bar on it and I really like it with a mild muffer mod using a 266 deflector.

All OK here... hope you are both well too. Cheers.

No I read , I understood why it was set up that way, And yes I thought before I typed, thought some more, still think its ridiculous!! Yes you can run what ever bar you want on your 346, keep in mind though it tells alot about how your brain works, or doesn't. I would at least keep it a secret if i wanted to try something that stupid!

Okay tell me why then. So no you didn't think before you typed. So before you go making your DA statements think alittle. Now go do your weekend warrior thing and bug someone else.

Yes, she "let" me get one LOL. Got it from a saw shop in NY state last year. Only got a 15" bar on it and I really like it with a mild muffer mod using a 266 deflector.

All OK here... hope you are both well too. Cheers.

Hey thats great. So you guys get out this way you welcome to stay with us anytime.

Longer bars on smaller chainsaws is nothing new. I ran a 10-10 with a 28" bar for many years, mostly in brush and slash, I did cut bigger stuff with it, couldn't dog in and reef on it, but it cut well enough to keep the long bar on it.

10-10 Redwood kill.
trip010.jpg

trip009.jpg

That root sprout is 10 inches or so, maybe as much as a foot through.

Longer bars on smaller chainsaws is nothing new. I ran a 10-10 with a 28" bar for many years, mostly in brush and slash, I did cut bigger stuff with it, couldn't dog in and reef on it, but it cut well enough to keep the long bar on it.

Yes there was a lot of 026 used for the same purposes. Hey randy great to see ya. When you gonna get that 681 from me.

Latest posts

Back