346XP or keep the 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtheo

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have read enough about the 346XP on AS to make me want to get one.

The problem for me is if I get a 346, I will need to sell my 026 to help cover the cost, and I don't know if I want to give up the 026.

In favor of the 026 is the fact that I like it a lot, and there are Stihl dealers almost next door to where I live in any direction.

That's not the case with the 346XP, and the dealer does not have one for to me to see. It Has to be ordered.

Do we have members who own both saws, or have cutting experience with both saws?

I would like to hear your thoughts.

As always, thanks for your help guys.

Last edited:
My first real saw was a MS260 PRO, it got sold for various reasons, none that had anything to do with the saw. It was a great saw, I had no problems with it and if I ran across another one for the right price, I would own one again. That said, if I had to choose between the 260 or my 2153 Jred (aka ne346xp) the 260 would be gone in a heartbeat. Good luck on you decision.

:cheers:
Mike

since you have it keep it, muf mod it and run with the 346.

its also noticably lighter

I ran the 346 and was'nt all that impressed unlike some on here. I like the 026/260 better, lighter and more nimble IMO and the speed difference is not that noticeable to me either. I would keep the 026.
If your looking for 2-3 tenths in a cut and are just anxious to spend $500 on a few tenths and more weight go ahead, it's your wallet. :greenchainsaw:

decisions decisions

I havent got the 026 but I have a european ms260 which I believe have the same specs as an american 026 = 3.5hp (compared to the US 260 with 3.2 hp). If I am right and your 026 has 3.5hp then you are very close to the specs of a 346xp with 3.7hp.

I think the 3 biggest differences between the to is temper, av and build quality.

The 346xp is very agressive and revs fast while the 260 is noticeably slower but has more grunt. And even though grunt isn't favourable for speed it is still nice to use a saw that has it. Chainspeed is higher on the 346xp and it makes it a different experience then the stihl - it just brings a smile on ones face when using it.

Antivibration is like night and day between the 2. The 346 is very smooth and the ms260 is rougher. Some don't care and for others it makes the whole difference. I can easily feel the difference but am not that bothered with the rougher ms260.

I think the ms260 is better build than the husky. I actually think it is better build by quite a margin. That said the husky is not poorly build at all.

Minor differences are: The husky has a great choke/start/stop button, the ms260 has the inboard clutch and the ms260 definently feels lighter.

If I could only keep one of them I would agree with TRI955 and keep the 346xp but I still think the ms260 is a great saw.

Last edited:
I didn't know the 026 was lighter. That's a plus 1 for the 026.

I would only use the saw for limbs or small trees. Anything else and the 7900 comes out.

Just like women, lighter means better in my book!:clap:

well,I'm not going to help much lol but her goes:
the 346xp is one nice little fast hot rod.
good luck with your decision lol.:D
If you can somehow talk yourself out of your current CAD,then do NOT ever run a 346xp,cus it would return with a vengeance.:greenchainsaw:
lol,least I told ya ahead of time,I wasn't going to help much.;)

i send you modded muffler cover if you send me your stock cover.

maybe this will make the decision even harder.

but my 026 is fixed H im running a single 3/4" exhaust outlet. if yours is adjustable H maybe id do up dual port 3/4" muffler for you same deal send you it for your stock one in return

I have both saws, and I love the 346. It is a sweet saw. BUT, if you have to sell a 026 to be able to buy a 346, I personally wouldnt do it. But, like others have said, it is your wallet.

Yea, the 026 is lighter by a few points of a pound. Yes, the 346 has better anti-vibe. But ITS A 50cc SAW. Who cares. Yea, for a 80cc saw lighter would be better, and less vibe would be nicer, but ITS A 50cc SAW.

I would go with dealer support. I have good dealer support for both my saws. And for me, my 346 gets most of the work, but the 026 is still a great saw.

does the 346 flop over on its side like the 359, if so then thats another plus for the 026. it will usualy make trip in the bed of the truck without flopping over

ill still do the muffler cover trade if you want

factory port has been close off.
GEDC0373.jpg

GEDC0372.jpg

GEDC0376.jpg

GEDC0369.jpg

yup

but mines a 026 044
combo.jpg

so far in my short cad carreer ive found the 044 25" 3/4 wrap to be the best handling saw ive come across and plenty of power to easily takle wood past the 25 or 28" bar tip.

im sure the 460 046 would feel the same to me. i will not be without a 044 460 for the rest of my cad carreer:greenchainsaw::cheers::givebeer:

Latest posts

Back