346XP or keep the 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
keep the 026.

I have read enough about the 346XP on AS to make me want to get one.

The problem for me is if I get a 346, I will need to sell my 026 to help cover the cost, and I don't know if I want to give up the 026.

In favor of the 026 is the fact that I like it a lot, and there are Stihl dealers almost next door to where I live in any direction.

That's not the case with the 346XP, and the dealer does not have one for to me to see. It Has to be ordered.

Do we have members who own both saws, or have cutting experience with both saws?

I would like to hear your thoughts.

As always, thanks for your help guys.

if you never own a 346xp,you'll never know what your missing.

unless someone you know gets one and hands your a$$ to you.

The 346 has a little more power and that is all. Vibes are over rated on the 2, if your hands can't take a 026/260, you don't need to be running any saw. IMO, the 346xp is like the MS361, nice saw but not all that and a bag of chips. Keep the 026, if you run across a good deal on a 346, try it.

I have both saws and prefer the 026.. Mine is older has a muffler mod and adjustable carb. The 346 revs higher by a bunch but isn't too much faster in wood 16" or so. I feel the 26 is better built. Also uses the big bar mount, and has a inner clutch. I hate changing the rims on the 346. PITA. I do like the easy access top and choke better on the 346 too. Just wish it had an inner clutch and big bar mount.

I swear by the one-two punch of the MS260 and MS460. Punched out a couple of miles of neglected roads with the pair just today. Keep a 16" bar on the 260 and it eats wood like it was nothing.

Those are both sweet saws but the "new school replacements" for those saws (IMHO) would be a Dolmar 7900 along with a 346xp.

I don't own a 346xp, but I've run one. I thought it was much faster / smoother than a 260 Pro. That 346xp is a FAST little saw. I've run a 460/046 numerous times as well, it's a bad ass saw but compared to the 7900 I don't think it stands a chance. The Dolmar 7900 is a true hot rod all in itself.....

I have both.......

MS260Pro and the 346xp.........To me,and what I have ran with them,,,I always pick up the 346xp,,and why??? Everyone is diffrent for a feel of a saw,,but it justs fits my hands and can run it all day without hurting me....Someone said something about the 026 being lighter,,,to me it is a tad bit the opposite...Power is close,,,I mean close to me,,both stock saws,,,18 inch bars...Stihl might have more torque,,but the Husky got more speed...
Both gets good ratings on fuel,,and the ms260 pro with the 346xp both adjustable oiler,,and that a plus feature to me....Stihl has a inboard clutch vers. the outboard on the Husky,,,,really a non issuse with me if you ran older saws and used to that...
I'd keep the 026 and save up for the 346xp later...I think,,and others correct me on this but the ms260 pro wont be with us much longer...You'll have 2 good saws,,and I tell ya frm experance,,it is a must to have 2 saws with you in the woods if your alone...

A muffler modded 260 does not have near the torque of a muffler modded NE 346XP. Why does this myth keep getting perpetuated? When I stick a 346 in the same log as a 260 and the 346 comes out first, it's generating more torque in order to do that, period. I'm talking good sized hardwood here, not tiny limbs.

I'm bringin both at the GTG...

A muffler modded 260 does not have near the torque of a muffler modded NE 346XP. Why does this myth keep getting perpetuated? When I stick a 346 in the same log as a 260 and the 346 comes out first, it's generating more torque in order to do that, period. I'm talking good sized hardwood here, not tiny limbs.

Gonna be so much fun!!!!!!

I know Brad...

But have to get someone to run the 346xp,,or the 260 at the same time,,both being stock..I know what you ment about being modded,,that I dont know since both of these is plane stock,,but think i'll be fun for all to see...I kinda wanna see for myself since I cant run em both at the same time...LOL!! :)

Actually more power. Torque is a force. Horsepower is a measure of work done, and while horsepower is a function of torgue, the revs must be there. The 026/260 might make the same torque as a 346XP, but if it does it at a lower RPM then less power is produced.

They probaly mean the older 346. I have an 026, ms260, and a old style 346.The 026 is an older model and the muffler is stock 4 holes in it if I remember right. The ms 260 is ported and muffler modded. The 346 has the muffler outlet opened up some. There is not alot of difference in performance between the 026 and the 346. The 346 does bog alittle easier if you push it. The ported ms260, big difference

I have an older 026, so can't speak to newer 260 pros. But I bought a 346NE this year and for limbing it is much more fun and productive. No comparison IMO. The 026 feels like wielding a club now.

The 026 doesn't see daylight much anymore.

Actually more power. Torque is a force. Horsepower is a measure of work done, and while horsepower is a function of torgue, the revs must be there. The 026/260 might make the same torque as a 346XP, but if it does it at a lower RPM then less power is produced.

:agree2: "Low end" grunt usually isn't of much interest.....

Last edited:
I havent got the 026 but I have a european ms260 which I believe have the same specs as an american 026 = 3.5hp (compared to the US 260 with 3.2 hp). If I am right and your 026 has 3.5hp then you are very close to the specs of a 346xp with 3.7hp.

I think the 3 biggest differences between the to is temper, av and build quality.

The 346xp is very agressive and revs fast while the 260 is noticeably slower but has more grunt. And even though grunt isn't favourable for speed it is still nice to use a saw that has it. Chainspeed is higher on the 346xp and it makes it a different experience then the stihl - it just brings a smile on ones face when using it.

Antivibration is like night and day between the 2. The 346 is very smooth and the ms260 is rougher. Some don't care and for others it makes the whole difference. I can easily feel the difference but am not that bothered with the rougher ms260.

I think the ms260 is better build than the husky. I actually think it is better build by quite a margin. That said the husky is not poorly build at all.

Minor differences are: The husky has a great choke/start/stop button, the ms260 has the inboard clutch and the ms260 definently feels lighter.

If I could only keep one of them I would agree with TRI955 and keep the 346xp but I still think the ms260 is a great saw.

Very good post! Couldn't have said it better. :clap::clap:

Power is power...

The wood is 16" white ash.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMRPgHxaVzo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMRPgHxaVzo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
wow this is getting good....... my dad has a 346 i have a 026 pro. both nice saws the husky is fast but i like the stihl. i would say its a win win with either saw... im not to worried about getting my "butt kicked" by another saw.... i personally would keep the stihl and buy the husky if you want it.

what is the difference between a oe346 and ne346. Do you have to ask for a ne when you go to buy one?

346xp NE has more cc and power.. Ithink almost all the new ones in my town are the NE. I think its about 10% bigger same weight.

Latest posts

Back