346xp vs ps-5100s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the 5100 and will not knock it. Great saw at a great price.....but the Power ported 346 will spank it bad and I mean all over it. So I disagree. Woods port a 5100 and now you got something but I was referring to ultimate power to weight ratio. It is hard to beat a ported 346 in ultimate light weight and great power.

Port a 260 and you have the most power with less weight of all 3. Too many variables in ported saws....

50cc HOT RODS

You won't loose either way you go. I'd like to see someone with an ECHO 50cc HOT ROD. Than NINJA clan I hear is Crazy.

As for DOLMAR AREA 51 after the porting I gave it (minus upper transfers, compression @ 162) it is 4 stroking at 14,349 with the H jetting set at 2 turns. Here is the plug halfway thru a cut on some Canyon oak(had to harvest a little bit more:D)

DSCF0120.jpg

It will take more fuel for sure and possibly more power too.

An 8 pin would be nice...

You won't loose either way you go. I'd like to see someone with an ECHO 50cc HOT ROD. Than NINJA clan I hear is Crazy.

As for DOLMAR AREA 51 after the porting I gave it (minus upper transfers, compression @ 162) it is 4 stroking at 14,349 with the H jetting set at 2 turns. Here is the plug halfway thru a cut on some Canyon oak(had to harvest a little bit more:D)

DSCF0120.jpg

It will take more fuel for sure and possibly more power too.

An 8 pin would be nice...

Looks borderline lean to me. It will not like an 8 pin.My 7900 is faster with a 7 pin.

Easy E, I turned it another 1/4 ccw and it ran too rich at 12,500 or so. So I know I am in the ballpark for the sweet spot. Interesting, before the sweet spot, turning the setting on the H ccw would not affect the RPM that much. Past the sweet spot 1/4 turn and it dropped 2,000rpm's!!!

I hear your stock muff modded 7900 is awesome from what Cut4Fun said, unless he was writing of another Eric. I'm still going to try the 8 pins just to see.

Rick

My last .02 for the 5100 on this thread.

After posting the last thread, I did some more cuts to check where the rpm's were at in the cut. The rpm's dropped to 12,500 when the saw was cutting on its own and then when I dug the dawg in it dropped to 10,200.

Easy E, I turned it another 1/4 ccw and it ran too rich at 12,500 or so. So I know I am in the ballpark for the sweet spot. Interesting, before the sweet spot, turning the setting on the H ccw would not affect the RPM that much. Past the sweet spot 1/4 turn and it dropped 2,000rpm's!!!

I hear your stock muff modded 7900 is awesome from what Cut4Fun said, unless he was writing of another Eric. I'm still going to try the 8 pins just to see.

Rick

On the high jet even very minor adjustments will make a large change when something is turning that many rpms.
Yes my 7900 Kevin is referring to.Muffler modded with a whole lot of fuel ran through it.. It is a strong saw..But it won't out cut Aydyshines 372 ehp
You can try that 8 pin on the 5100, But I imagine it will suck the life right out of it..Please let us know how it worked out.,Odds are you will have to add a few links to get the chain on the unit too. I know my 17inch 64dl is a beech to get on with a new chain.

Is the 7900 running on stock compression?

Kyle from Edge and Engine is going to check for us to see if an 8 pin will fit inside the clutch cover. If it's a go on his stocker and it feels good to him, I'm going to give it a go.

For people that are power to weight that conscious... What gives? First and foremost, how much actual holding of weight do you really do? I limbed like 30 cord of cedars this winter, what has more branches that Cedar??? Unless your really pushing your saw, it almost pulls you through each cut. Who is really that concerned with 1lb? And on another note, torque makes all the difference. Put a 6000lb truck with 350hp up against a 7000lb tractor with 50hp and see what pulls what... The huskys have always been fast and smooth, but soon as you lean on them, i.e. bigger wood, they dawg out and don't have the ass end to keep'em throwin chips. The Dolmars do, so do the stihls. I've got them all, Dolmars, Stihls, husky's and homeys. Of all of them, and in this order is best to worst... Stihl, Dolmar, husky. Older saws always have more torque. But they dont' turn the rpm's either. I'd take the new dolmars over the husky's any day. The stihls are better in comparison overall, but they really are nearly twice the money here. The husky's are crazy for what they want, and for 1/2 the saw. Not just for a test, go out and run a 5100 for a full day of hard firewood one day, then run a little 346. You'll always go the 5100 way. w/out a doubt...

:cheers: eh?

Very,very well said! i agree 100%

People can set on the computer all day long and bad mouth saws,but just go out and run each one for a day and then it aint hard to tell which is the better saw.

Interesting, before the sweet spot, turning the setting on the H ccw would not affect the RPM that much. Past the sweet spot 1/4 turn and it dropped 2,000rpm's!!!

Running lean, it'll be 14.x thousand, limited by ignition. Running spot on, 14.x thousand. Running rich, it'll be slower.
Rev limited coils might make tuning harder, but I think they are good for the saw's longevity.

A woods ported 50cc saw is not going to pull a 8-pin rim as well as a 7-pin. Not likely on a 60cc saw either. Eric's 7900 is a very strong runner, but no match for a woods ported EHP372, and it shouldn't be. I've run two EHP372s and they are good runners for sure.

A woods ported 50cc saw is not going to pull a 8-pin rim as well as a 7-pin. Not likely on a 60cc saw either. Eric's 7900 is a very strong runner, but no match for a woods ported EHP372, and it shouldn't be. I've run two EHP372s and they are good runners for sure.

Wow .........I was under the impression the only good saws were built in Ohio from all I've read .........Seems Ed builds saws that others wish they could .......:clap::clap:

Not talking about you Brad...

Back