346xp vs ps-5100s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now there's a good point. A 260 or 5100s with $240 worth of port work on it would blow away a stock 346xp. And the OP is talking about the best 50cc saw now, so that kind of leaves out the ms361.
I'd lean towards the 5100s, as it's a more modern saw than the MS260, and talk to Timberwolf or other respected Canuk saw porter. Maybe TW would buy a new 5100s, port it, and send it to the OP for the price of a stock 346xp or close to it. That saw would probably run like a MS361, or faster in small wood.

OTOH, I keep thinking about that screaming 17,000 rpm MS-260 that Brad made. And aren't 260s lighter than 5100s?

The thing about a HOT 5100 is the torque that is available after mods for such a small saw. Who's going to use a high rpm saw to fell a good sized tree? If cutting cookies at a GTG or bucking logs, then go for whichever one makes sense to you. I would imagine that a face cut on a good sized dead hard wood tree would be a pain if you don't have torque available???

A 361 is more like a 60cc saw. For another 100 bucks or so(even cheaper if you do your homework) and a couple of pounds, you can have a SUPER STOUT 7900 in stock form. Gets even better with a muff mod from what I've seen and read.

Price

I don't think it's been mentioned at all, and even though price isn't a huge object here. What I'm wondering is what kinda idiot would pay over $800 for a friggin 50cc saw with less than 4hp??? Even the 357xp isn't worth that. And the 346 is garbage in comparison. More than that, I wanna know who in heck is cutting that much small stuff to even need a saw that small. I barely use my 5100 now. 4.5hp is the smallest I think I'd go for day to day firewood cutting...

:popcorn:

Nortern Manitoba is known as the land of little sticks the bigest tree i ever seen here could be cut with a 14'' bar. The reason i cut so much is 10 cord for me 10 for my dad and then i sell as much as i can i don't cut wood for a living i'm a railroader :givebeer: but i work an 8 on 6 off shift i cut on my days off theres nothing elese i would rather do i love cuttin wood.
By the way a cord of wood here sells fo $150.00 and i'm the cheapest guy in town by 25.00 Thats why i cut so much small wood :greenchainsaw:

Just picked up the 5100 from a site sponsor for a good deal:clap::clap::clap:

Now just gotta wait for it to arrive :givebeer:

Can't beat that!....We have good Dolmar guys here and I'm sure they'll have her tuned just right for ya and ready to go....:cheers:

Just picked up the 5100 from a site sponsor for a good deal:clap::clap::clap:

Now just gotta wait for it to arrive :givebeer:

I just now found the sponsor list.

http://www.arboristsite.com/misc.php?do=page&template=Sponsors

I hadn't realized this guy was a sponsor:
http://www.thechainsawstore.com/servlet/the-7/NEW-DOLMAR-PS-5100/Detail

$457+5%GST isn't bad at all. That's like finding it in USA for $369 plus tax. Even with shipping, I bet it's way under $630.

It's still about 6x as much as I paid for my 5100, but I'm sure yours is prettier than mine.

Make it a bit simpler and buy the 346xp first - then step up top the MS361 if you feel underpowered now and then.....
Now now SawTroll. If you feel underpowered just woods port the 346 and problem solved. You of all people ,who is sooooooo power to weight conscious, should know the path to light saw with big power.

$457+5%GST isn't bad at all. That's like finding it in USA for $369 plus tax. Even with shipping, I bet it's way under $630.
I bought 4 of them last year and paid 350.00+ tax for each w/ 16" B/C

p to w

Now now SawTroll. If you feel underpowered just woods port the 346 and problem solved. You of all people ,who is sooooooo power to weight conscious, should know the path to light saw with big power.

For people that are power to weight that conscious... What gives? First and foremost, how much actual holding of weight do you really do? I limbed like 30 cord of cedars this winter, what has more branches that Cedar??? Unless your really pushing your saw, it almost pulls you through each cut. Who is really that concerned with 1lb? And on another note, torque makes all the difference. Put a 6000lb truck with 350hp up against a 7000lb tractor with 50hp and see what pulls what... The huskys have always been fast and smooth, but soon as you lean on them, i.e. bigger wood, they dawg out and don't have the ass end to keep'em throwin chips. The Dolmars do, so do the stihls. I've got them all, Dolmars, Stihls, husky's and homeys. Of all of them, and in this order is best to worst... Stihl, Dolmar, husky. Older saws always have more torque. But they dont' turn the rpm's either. I'd take the new dolmars over the husky's any day. The stihls are better in comparison overall, but they really are nearly twice the money here. The husky's are crazy for what they want, and for 1/2 the saw. Not just for a test, go out and run a 5100 for a full day of hard firewood one day, then run a little 346. You'll always go the 5100 way. w/out a doubt...

:cheers: eh?

Not just for a test, go out and run a 5100 for a full day of hard firewood one day, then run a little 346. You'll always go the 5100 way. w/out a doubt...
I really like the 5100 and will not knock it. Great saw at a great price.....but the Power ported 346 will spank it bad and I mean all over it. So I disagree. Woods port a 5100 and now you got something but I was referring to ultimate power to weight ratio. It is hard to beat a ported 346 in ultimate light weight and great power.

Put a 6000lb truck with 350hp up against a 7000lb tractor with 50hp and see what pulls what...

STRANGE ANALAGY.

Depends on the variables

Ran two tanks through the 346XP NE last night blocking up deadfall from my father in laws yard. I had the 16" bar buried several times in big wood, no problems and didn't have any trouble pulling the 3/8 LGX either. I had the option of going back upto the house and grabbing my 372XP or his MS310 but I didn't feel the need at any time. This saw is perfection as far as I'm concerned when it comes to limbing or cleanup work. Last I remembered the Dolmar 5100S I handled felt like a toy, poorly constructed and add in the serious reliability issues they have I think i will stay orange.

Scott

Put a 6000lb truck with 350hp up against a 7000lb tractor with 50hp and see what pulls what...

STRANGE ANALAGY.

Depends on the variables

It should be put a 400hp semi against a 400 hp gas pickup and see which one pulls 80000# up the mountain the fastest. For those of you that think torque doesn't matter you'ld find out in a hurry. Steve

It should be put a 400hp semi against a 400 hp gas pickup and see which one pulls 80000# up the mountain the fastest. For those of you that think torque doesn't matter you'ld find out in a hurry. Steve

what has pulling 80000lb got to do with cutting wood fibres????

and the ftlb torque difference between those 2 examples is miles apart compared to the torque difference in a 346/5100..... looks like maths is being missused again to blur the facts...

all good saws, buy what makes you feel warm and fuzzy, use good gas and oil and look after it.... any 1 of them will last a life time or any one of them could fail in the first 12 months.

Serg

what has pulling 80000lb got to do with cutting wood fibres????

and the ftlb torque difference between those 2 examples is miles apart compared to the torque difference in a 346/5100..... looks like maths is being missused again to blur the facts...

all good saws, buy what makes you feel warm and fuzzy, use good gas and oil and look after it.... any 1 of them will last a life time or any one of them could fail in the first 12 months.

Serg

The fact is that some saws have a wider power band than others and I think Cisco has them listed in the right order. Steve

Back