346xp vs ps-5100s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow its the head 346 cheerleader .......Seems that the 346 is having some troubles.....:popcorn:

One defective or mis-adjusted carb - sure.....

Compare that to all the "trouble"/"complaints" threds on the 5100......:jawdrop:

...but I don't make a big issue about them, as I believe most of them are related to faulty carb adjustments from the factory, and failiure by the dealers to correct them..... :censored:

One defective or mis-adjusted carb - sure.....

Compare that to all the "trouble"/"complaints" threds on the 5100......:jawdrop:

...but I don't make a big issue about them, as I believe most of them are related to faulty carb adjustments from the factory, and failiure by the dealers to correct them..... :censored:

There are two burnt up NE346's in my area and I heard a about a few more saws from that brand ......:cry::cry:

Im still waiting for some credible proof about that thread......Seems that 50+ saws was BS ......Pot stirring .........:cheers::cheers:

Last edited:
So i've narowed it down to the 346xp ,ms260,ms361 which one you think will be the best performer in small soft wood. Lets just forget the price and concentrate on performance:)

So i've narowed it down to the 346xp ,ms260,ms361 which one you think will be the best performer in small soft wood. Lets just forget the price and concentrate on performance:)

346 and 361 will be best performers prob quite close to each other in small wood, 361 will be better the bigger the wood gets, and its cheaper too.

Forget the 260, and try to handle the two others - if in doubt, get the larger one.

Somebody in Canada just got a $490 (+GST) PS-5100s this week, had it shipped to his place of employment. Saw it here in the Chainsaw forum.
Did your $630 include taxes?

Not shipped, had a friend who lives near the dealer pick it up for me. He also new the dealer that is why I got a great price.

Yes both prices include taxes but the 630.00 for the dolmar includes the shipping from british Columbia.

If you have a local Makita outlet give then a call. Mine said they would service my saw and do warranty work if necessary.

Around here, it's $400 for the 5100s, $450-475 for the 346xp, $490 for the MS260, $510 for the MS260 Pro, and $610 for the MS361, all with 18" bars.

Some people love the MS260, but most say it vibrates and is down on power compared to the 5100 and 346. From my perspective, the MS361 is worth about $150 more than the 346, so if your 346 costs more than a 361, you'd have to really, really, really want to save that extra pound of weight to pick the 346 over the 361.
That leaves me with the 5100 and the 361. I've got to say, if a 361 is only 15% more than a 5100, then I'll take the 361.
If the 361 gets too heavy, I'd pick up a cheap 9lb saw to do the little stuff with.

Not particularly singling anyone out here but anyone who thinks a 346 is worth $240 more than a 5100, apparently has more money than brains. :dizzy: :givebeer:

I guess i should not have mentioned the price if money was my only concern i would just cut with the 445 that i have now and save the money. What i'm looking for is the best all around 50cc saw. the reason for the 50cc saw is i have a buggered back and not really sure if i can hang onto anything larger for very long. The 445 does not impress me at all With its non adjustable carb although it does seem to run pretty good so far. It's barely broken in.

What i should have asked is
Which pro 50cc saw do you guys think would be the fastest cutting small softwood for firewood??
I managed to find out lots of info on the 346xp such as chain speed and engine rpm but am having trouble finding the same info on the ps-5100 and the ms260. I'm a lot more concerned about what i end up with than the price i pay for it.

I guess i should not have mentioned the price if money was my only concern i would just cut with the 445 that i have now and save the money. What i'm looking for is the best all around 50cc saw. the reason for the 50cc saw is i have a buggered back and not really sure if i can hang onto anything larger for very long. The 445 does not impress me at all With its non adjustable carb although it does seem to run pretty good so far. It's barely broken in.

What i should have asked is
Which pro 50cc saw do you guys think would be the fastest cutting small softwood for firewood??
I managed to find out lots of info on the 346xp such as chain speed and engine rpm but am having trouble finding the same info on the ps-5100 and the ms260. I'm a lot more concerned about what i end up with than the price i pay for it.

Well the answer to that is 346xp. :cheers:

Last edited:
As far as the DOLMAR PS5100S, alls I can say is the saw can take a lot of abuse.

I'm sure in my early stages of tuning before I learned what the 4 stroke sound was and how to go about getting it (after a lengthy learning curve with the L jetting), I'm more than positive I ran the engine lean, rich, lean, more lean, and possibly even more lean and then finally learned what to listen for and feel for.

Trying to learn how to tune was a nightmare as a beginner and not knowing what I was doing was even worse. And on a 5100 too!!! I was going to figure it out myself and thankfully the saw made the journey and then some:chainsaw: So I can speak for the abuse this saw can take.

Ported and muff modded it's a very STOUT work saw. Ready to fell a good sized hard wood tree if need be(if one of your big saws goes down that day). Of course, you'll have to punch in some overtime, but the job will get done a lot sooner than any other 50cc saw IMHO.

Mine has not given me any problems whatsoever. Nothing but awesome pulls. And the sound at WOT in the canyons...a priceless hot rod.

Rick

Ported and muff modded it's a very STOUT work saw.

Now there's a good point. A 260 or 5100s with $240 worth of port work on it would blow away a stock 346xp. And the OP is talking about the best 50cc saw now, so that kind of leaves out the ms361.
I'd lean towards the 5100s, as it's a more modern saw than the MS260, and talk to Timberwolf or other respected Canuk saw porter. Maybe TW would buy a new 5100s, port it, and send it to the OP for the price of a stock 346xp or close to it. That saw would probably run like a MS361, or faster in small wood.

OTOH, I keep thinking about that screaming 17,000 rpm MS-260 that Brad made. And aren't 260s lighter than 5100s?

Dolmars won't respond to mods like stihls because they are already ported more agressivly in comparison and will in general outcut the stihls in stock form.

But both saws ported Stihl, dolmar or husky for that matter will be close, all depends on how they are each done and how far the mods are taken.

Yip

ms361

It's a little heavier but should make shorter work of 14-15" wood. At $109.00 cheaper I quit playing on the computer and go get it!

W/out a doubt. Don't even question it. The 361 is a better saw all around than the piddly little husky or the 5100... And I have a 5100 and love it and have had no bad luck at all with it over about 100 cords of firewood. 361 should be considered in a different class. .5hp doesn't seem like much, but it is wayyy more than you think... 361 all day!!!! Kills me to say it, but after running a couple, I'd like one also. Andddd, you don't have to run that little 325 sissy chain and bars on it like the 346xp. LMAO... If your not into the Stihl, go 5100 way. That way you'll have bigger bar and chain, more durable for that much wood every year... hmph! Husky? Ask'em why they don't run 3/8 chain on them??? Gutless wonders unless your cutting brush... Exactly who cuts 6" trees all the time where the 346 shines???

:cheers:

First of all you said 60+ full cords? I would not think twice about a ms361 vs. 50cc saws. You will cut twice as fast with the ms361 in anything over 6''. With that much wood to cut go with at a least a 60cc saw!!!

Latest posts

Back