346xp vs ps-5100s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would really of liked to see Stihl build something to compete with the 5100S and 346XP NE before the government took all out non-EPA compliant toys away. Would have been nice for you KoolAid loving Stihl heads.

Scott

Last edited:
5100's a nice for the price but alot, and I do mean alot of them have had spun bearings and met an untimely demise. I would stick with the 346xp NE, proven performance and unprecedented reliablity. Oh and 361's are bigger and more powerful, almost like having a 372XP, but not quite. :)

Scott

:monkey: :spam: :spam:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line is:.....If you want to gut mufflers (361)....Change catalytic mufflers (346) than by all means buy one of the above.

If you want a saw that just flat runs (5100) right out of the box and intend to go right to work, than you want the Dolmar!

In all honesty though if you don't mind gutting the muffler on a brand new saw, under warranty or void of warranty there after, than buy the 361 for the extra $100....The factory muffler definitely has a strangle hold on Ole Tom and needs dealt with. If your back can take the extra weight.

The extra $240 for the 346 over the 5100 is laughable and asinine to even consider!

:givebeer:

Actually the Dolmar 5100s can be bought for $389 in my area and I just bought a shiny new 346XP NE for $420, so your $240 figure is pure horse$hit. The 346XP is a nicer saw, pretty obvious to people like me that have ran both. Oh, and my 346XP NE didn't come with a cat muffler, so once again I dont think you know what you are chirping about.

Scott

I would really on liked to see Stihl build something to compete with the 5100S and 346XP NE before the government took all out non-EPA compliant toys away. Would have been nice for you KoolAid loving Stihl heads.

Scott

All 3 of them will be gone come that time so ya'll had a short reign, now Stihl is looking good in the Strato world.:chainsaw::clap:

"now Stihl is looking good in the Strato world."

Really, everybody around here seems to think the 441 sucks donkey ball$. Makes you really miss the 044/440 and especially a 372XP. Maybe the Strato 361 will be better.

Scott

Actually the Dolmar 5100s can be bought for $389 in my area and I just bought a shiny new 346XP NE for $420, so your $240 figure is pure horse$hit. The 346XP is a nicer saw, pretty obvious to people like me that have ran both. Oh, and my 346XP NE didn't come with a cat muffler, so once again I dont think you know what you are chirping about.

Scott

We're talking about the OP's price, not yours. :dizzy:

"346xp at the tune of 870 bucks or the 5100 for 630."

Basic math 101.....$240 difference :stupid:

"now Stihl is looking good in the Strato world."

Really, everybody around here seems to think the 441 sucks donkey ball$. Makes you really miss the 044/440 and especially a 372XP. Maybe the Strato 361 will be better.

Scott

Sorry, you are wrong again. The 441 has been a big hit and will leave a 440 and 372 behind quick. I've heard the 362 is going to be nice also, I expect nothing less though.:D

My suggestion to him would be to go to ebay like everone else does and buy them in the US and have them shipped for cheap. I sure as hell wouldn't pay $630 for the Dolmar, unless it was a 7900.

I'm not sure what world you live in but a 441 will not outcut a 372XP in my neck of the woods, been there tried that, hurt a poor guys feelings in the process. The 441 also wont take to mods like the old saws. But hey, enjoy your stock saw, to each his own.

Scott

Last edited:
My suggestion to him would be to go to ebay like everone else does and buy them in the US and have them shipped for cheap. I sure as hell wouldn't pay $630 for the Dolmar, unless it was a 7900.

Scott

Who's selling new Dolmar 5100's on eBay and shipping them to Canada on the cheapo express? :popcorn:

:monkey: :spam: :spam:

The extra $240 for the 346 over the 5100 is laughable and asinine to even consider!

:givebeer:

Except that he has a good local dealer for the 346, sounds like the 5100 would be mail order. I would think this is a factor as he said he will cut something like 60 cord a year.

Except that he has a good local dealer for the 346, sounds like the 5100 would be mail order. I would think this is a factor as he said he will cut something like 60 cord a year.

That is a consideration and a very expensive one at that! :bowdown:

BS, you can add all the failed 346s and 5100s in a box and have the same number of each brand.

Now the proven performance and reliability go to the 260, HANDS DOWN.:bowdown::bowdown:

Lots of carb related problems recorded on the 260, as I remember it.....:givebeer:

:cheers:

Last edited:

I'm not sure what world you live in but a 441 will not outcut a 372XP in my neck of the woods, been there tried that, hurt a poor guys feelings in the process. The 441 also wont take to mods like the old saws. But hey, enjoy your stock saw, to each his own.

Scott

Hahahaha, you husky heads are a joke.:dizzy: I will post a video, the 441 is quicker than both, proof soon.

Well here is the video, the 372 and 441 are the last 2 ran. Don't take my posts as a 372 bashing, I'm saying the 441 has more power than both, my beloved 440 and the decent 372. So all conditions equal, the 441 wins.
http://<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i92.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid92.photobucket.com/albums/l15/THALL10326/Hossgoingwild.flv">

Last edited:

He also said that money was no big factor, and that his back was very weight sensitive - I see a 346xp, and a MS361 as well in his future, if needed - but no 5100 or 260.

I have a severe back problem + arthritis (mostly in the right hand, some in the left ++), and look what saws are highlighted in red in my signature......

Last edited:
All the reading i have done has made the decision harder not easier :confused: so here's what i plan to do. GET ALL 3 :greenchainsaw:

I'm like most guys i think i buy what i want but usually have to justify it with my better half. So here's the plan i'll pick up the 5100 because its the cheapest then in a couple weeks tell the wife the boy's cutting potential has outgrown the 445 and he can use the 5100 and i'll step up to the ms361:) But after using the ms361 for a while i'll tell her its a little too heavy for my back and get the 346xp :cheers: I think I caught the CAD bug.

All the reading i have done has made the decision harder not easier :confused: so here's what i plan to do. GET ALL 3 :greenchainsaw:

I'm like most guys i think i buy what i want but usually have to justify it with my better half. So here's the plan i'll pick up the 5100 because its the cheapest then in a couple weeks tell the wife the boy's cutting potential has outgrown the 445 and he can use the 5100 and i'll step up to the ms361:) But after using the ms361 for a while i'll tell her its a little too heavy for my back and get the 346xp :cheers: I think I caught the CAD bug.

:clap: :clap: :clap:.....END OF DISCUSSION!

Welcome to AS....:cheers:

Make it a bit simpler and buy the 346xp first - then step up top the MS361 if you feel underpowered now and then.....:cheers:

Actually, they all are very good saws - the advice is at least partly about splitting hairs!

Latest posts

Back