357xp vs 455 rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She cleaned up nice, looks like this thing trimmed one branch it's so clean. The sticker on the bottom fell off that said 04 on it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If it has the plastic clamp on the intake, you'll want to change that out for a metal one.
I'm going to check, that KS for letting me know sunfish

And if it has the Walbro carb, get yourself the k24-hda carb kit. Only cost about $10 and needs to be done before it starts developing symptoms.

And while you have the top end off changing the carb boot, go ahead and delete the base gasket, do a little transfer port chamfering and matching, and do the muff mod.. You'll be glad you did! ;)

Very nice saw for a screamin' deal! Congrats!

I'd bet a stock 346 will run with a 455 in 12" wood.
Honestly I think a stock 346 will outcut a 455 or 460 in any wood. I am a Husky guy through and through but those saws don't impress me. My tired L65 would cut circles around a 460 rancher which supposedly has the same HP rating.

I have only run one 357 but I would buy one in a second if I found it for sale locally.

Honestly I think a stock 346 will outcut a 455 or 460 in any wood. I am a Husky guy through and through but those saws don't impress me. My tired L65 would cut circles around a 460 rancher which supposedly has the same HP rating.

I have only run one 357 and I would buy one in a second if I found one for sale locally.

I completely agree... just didn't want to sound like I was piling on too much.. ;)

If it has the plastic clamp on the intake, you'll want to change that out for a metal one.
I just took this picture, is it the black clamp in the back near the head?
8e4a6e6fcc9e9cb2b427a02d9d2b22e4.jpg

Wow! :surprised3: 2000 week 50 is very early for a 357xp - that one must have been made before they were released on any market.

Anyway, it looks like it has a normal manual decomp, so no auto-decomp that needs to be converted to a manual one? Of course the top end could have been changed at some point.

It looks like it has the plastic intake clamp, so refer to this service bulletin:

SB, 357 XP, 359, 353, 346 XP,
Partition wall and clamp for intake system,
2006-03

The existing intake system on 357XP, 359,353 and 346XP currently consists of an integrated plastic clamp in the partition wall. As the clamp is made of plastic, there is a risk of deformation. This results in impaired clamping force against the cylinder, which in turn can result in leakage in the intake system. To prevent this from occurring, we have now introduced a metal clamp and a new partition wall.

The new partition wall is made up of polyamide with 30 % fibre glass.
The new clamp is a hardened steel clamp. The new material and the design of the clamp reduce the risk of deformation and the subsequent risk of leakage.

Full replaceability prevails.
Introduced from serial number:
357XP 061100201
359 061100001
353 061100001
346XP 061100001

New part no. Description Excl. part. no. Remark
537 25 13-02 Partition wall, intake, complete New spare part
537 43 88-01 Clamp, intake New spare part

Spare part, partition wall, part number 537 25 13-01, has been discontinued and is replaced by part number 537 25 13-02.

SawTroll,
That is an insane amount of information! Thank you very much.
Does the head have to come off to Complete this repair or just the carb?

This saw literally looks like it was never used, barely any dirt or wear. Looks like it was put in the case and forgotten. It's like a barn find!!

Wow! :surprised3: 2000 week 50 is very early for a 357xp - that one must have been made before they were released on any market.

Anyway, it looks like it has a normal manual decomp, so no auto-decomp that needs to be converted to a manual one? Of course the top end could have been changed at some point.

Maybe if this was made before the were released and if they misspelled the name or model it would be worth a million dollars lol.

The decompression valve is ok or no??

SawTroll,
That is an insane amount of information! Thank you very much.
Does the head have to come off to Complete this repair or just the carb?

First, your saw looks surprisingly nice for such an old one, I am tempted to suspect there may be a "misprint" on that number tag - but of course I don't know the story of the saw....

I have never done the change myself, but as I understand it, it is much easier to do the clamp change with the cylinder off the saw. As long as there isn't an air leak, it isn't really necessary to do the swap at all - but it is an insurance.

Btw, what carb model is on the saw?

Back