357xp vs 455 rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, the boot is fine. Just snip off the plastic clamp latch and put a metal clamp around it. Or get the updated clamp and partition, they come together.
I appreciate all your guys input, this forum is proving to be invaluable with the information and knowledge you gain from each other.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ride-red,
Are what you talking about right behind the blue wire, where it looks like theirs a white dash mark on it?
Zoom in on it.
e5debea8b314dae0d1d5524c0fd531f0.jpg

Yes Sir, that is precisely what I was referring to.

The top end is a breeze to remove and re-install. I would pull the topend as opposed to attempting to force the issue and possibly damaging something. A base gasket will only cost a few bucks.. if you choose not to delete it.. ;)

Found the complete part a few minutes away for $9, going to pick up tomorrow and do this while I'm trapped in the house this week end with the rain.

Deleting the base gasket? Is that literally just not reinstalling it upon reassembly and if so what do you then use to seal the head, .... rtv or something?

I know Mr. Sawtroll stated that your 357 is likely not to have the Walbro 199 carb. I would verify which carb you have when you do the intake update and if by some chance it has the 199 I would advise getting the k24-hda carb rebuild kit and doing that as well. Seems as though with the 199s and the OEM gaskets and diaphragms it is a matter of when, not if the saw will start to run erratic.

Motoseal is one, but you must make sure it's air tight.

0382523_1

Might wanna run it w/ gasket to get the feel for stock performance and do a little research on deleting, muff modding... that way you can feel the difference for yourself.

To do a base gasket delete, reinstall the cylinder without the gasket (of course) but seal it not with run of the mill RTV, use a good sealant like Yamabond, or Threebond. Those sealants are used by OEM's in applications where no gasket is used from the factory.. One example would be Rotax 2-stroke snowmobile crank cases... No gasket used by the factory, they use a good sealant like Threebond.

The main purpose of a base gasket delete is that it gets you a bump in compression. It does also change port timing slightly, but I do not think the minor port timing change is the main goal of a gasket delete.

Thanks for the tip MgoBlue. I didn't realize Permatex made a product similar to Threebond and the like. Good to know! :)

I know Mr. Sawtroll stated that your 357 is likely not to have the Walbro 199 carb. I would verify which carb you have when you do the intake update and if by some chance it has the 199 I would advise getting the k24-hda carb rebuild kit and doing that as well. Seems as though with the 199s and the OEM gaskets and diaphragms it is a matter of when, not if the saw will start to run erratic.
Not a bad idea, but not all walbro 199 carbs will go bad. I have a 04 or 05 357 with original 199 and it's still fine.

Not a bad idea, but not all walbro 199 carbs will go bad. I have a 04 or 05 357 with original 199 and it's still fine.

I hear ya. I just figure for the 10 bucks a kit costs and already having the saw apart for the intake it would be good form to go ahead and swap it out if he has the 199 carb. :)

My saw was built in '05 and didn't start acting up till this year. She's all better now. :D

Did the 357xp come with the top cover sticker? Is so, are they still available somewhere?

Did the 357xp come with the top cover sticker? Is so, are they still available somewhere?

The top XP sticker was only used for a couple years and much later than your saw. There was a guy selling them here, but I don't remember who.

The top XP sticker was only used for a couple years and much later than your saw. There was a guy selling them here, but I don't remember who.
Ya but it's like putting the hood ornament on a car, some have to have it. Lol

There have been threads here on how to fix the HDA-199 series carbs (-199/-198/-190/-191) . I don't know if the same applies to the -174/-175, that was on the earliest saws.
A fixed -199 is a better carb that the replacement Zama.

So i picked up the new partition wall/clamp kit. Is there a thread or a yt video on the procedure of doing this and deleting the gasket? I searched but couldnt find anything worthwhile. I can do the job, i just like to know i didnt miss anything and maybe pick up some pointers at the same time.

Without actually searching it here or on YT, I'm pretty confident they are out there..

Having said that, doing this job is easy if you have some basic tools (even the allen wrenches supplied with every new Husky I have bought) will get it done...

Brief summary,

1: remove air filter cover and air filter. You will probably also want to remove recoil starter
2: Disconnect 2 wires from kill switch
3: remove throttle linkage
4: disconnect fuel line and remove carb
5: remove muffler and muffler support bracket
6: remove 4 bolts that secure cylinder, remove cylinder (remove sparkplug)
7: once cylinder is off the base, remove and replace carb boot.
8: clean all old base gasket material from bottom of cylinder and crankcase
9: using a non-silicon type sealant like Threebond, Yamabond, etc, apply as directed on package.
10: Install cylinder and check squish. Cut a piece of solder long enough to insert into spark plug hole and reach to the edge of the combustion chamber keeping the solder aligned with wrist pin axis. While holding solder in place, slowly turn engine over by hand until piston squishes the solder and the crank rotates past this point and piston travels back down. Remove solder and measure the thickness of the squished end of the solder at the very end with a vernier caliper or micrometer. This will give you your "squish" measurement. This measurement determines how close the piston comes to the outer edge AKA "Squish band" of the combustion chamber. Some opinions may vary, but I was told there should be no less than .022". Mine came in at .023". It is a good idea to take a squish measurement on both sides of the piston on the wrist pin's axis.

If squish checks out, re-assemble in reverse order of disassembly.

***Torque cylinder bolts to 8-10Nm***

A quick Google search should yield you some service manual PDF's if you need more info... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...sg=AFQjCNECRkMLrq61W4FFzh14Mi9yEJTH9A&cad=rja

Latest posts

Back