357xp vs 455 rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, your saw looks surprisingly nice for such an old one, I am tempted to suspect there may be a "misprint" on that number tag - but of course I don't know the story of the saw....

I have never done the change myself, but as I understand it, it is much easier to do the clamp change with the cylinder off the saw. As long as there isn't an air leak, it isn't really necessary to do the swap at all - but it is an insurance.

Btw, what carb model is on the saw?
Yea, it's much easier with the cylinder off but you can replace the clamp with it on. Just takes patience and smaller hands than mine.

Here is an older suggestion about how to "fix" it, from before the 2006 change:
Thank you.
We'll there is definitely no air leak. This thing idles beautifully and the throttle response is instant, this thing wants to do a wheelie if it were a car!
Looks like a guy has the intake wall and clamp on the Bay for $15 with free shipping. Just want to make sure it comes with the clamp as he has pictured before I buy just the partition wall by itself.

I have to look at the carb closet tomorrow to see what make it is, but it is not showing a hint of ANY problems at all carb wise or clamp.

Oh wait it is showing one problem...........too shiny to get dirty.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Oh wait it is showing one problem...........too shiny to get dirty.
emoji6.png

:surprised3: Oh NO!..... It's going to his head!:dizzy:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Really though, nice saw!

:surprised3: Oh NO!..... It's going to his head!:dizzy:

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Really though, nice saw!
I must admit, I am excited over this saw and adding it to my collection. But I'm going to have to cull the herd and sell a couple.

Thank you.
We'll there is definitely no air leak. This thing idles beautifully and the throttle response is instant, this thing wants to do a wheelie if it were a car!
Looks like a guy has the intake wall and clamp on the Bay for $15 with free shipping. Just want to make sure it comes with the clamp as he has pictured before I buy just the partition wall by itself.

I have to look at the carb closet tomorrow to see what make it is, but it is not showing a hint of ANY problems at all carb wise or clamp.

Oh wait it is showing one problem...........too shiny to get dirty.[emoji6]

That certainly is a problem! :)

As long as the Walbro carb I assume it has isn't acting up, there is no reason to change it. The reason I asked, is that the earliest ones had the HDA-174 series carbs, while the somewhat later ones had the -199 series. It was about confirming the age of the saw.

Another possibility that struck my mind is that it (still) may have the lighter but weaker case that the early ones had - but I believe most were called back for a change to the reinforced one in 2003 or so. Putting the empty powerhead on a reliable scale likely will tell.

That certainly is a problem! :)

As long as the Walbro carb I assume it has isn't acting up, there is no reason to change it. The reason I asked, is that the earliest ones had the HDA-174 series carbs, while the somewhat later ones had the -199 series. It was about confirming the age of the saw.

Another possibility that struck my mind is that it (still) may have the lighter but weaker case that the early ones had - but I believe most were called back for a change to the reinforced one in 2003 or so. Putting the empty powerhead on a reliable scale likely will tell.
How do you possibly know all this info? Your like the yoda of Chainsaws lol. Now your gonna have me emptying this thing out and removing the chain and bar. When my wife sees me weighing this thing on the scale she's going to think I really lost it now, but I'll just tell her there my babies I guess. [emoji38]
What's a good dad to do?

How do you possibly know all this info? Your like the yoda of Chainsaws lol. Now your gonna have me emptying this thing out and removing the chain and bar. When my wife sees me weighing this thing on the scale she's going to think I really lost it now, but I'll just tell her there my babies I guess. [emoji38]
What's a good dad to do?

I just have picked up some here and there, and of course I have been interested for a long time.

My main source for the case info is AS member @Jacob J. He is a real expert, I'm just a hack that knows a few things.

Wow, that was literally a steal. If it's running well, leave the carb alone. As far as the clamp, if you don't buy an updated intake block, you can modify that one and use a 372xp clamp.

True - hopefully no collectors see this thread, and turn the saw into a collectors item - it deserves to be run! ;)

I just did the intake update on my 357 a few weeks ago.

I know there are some that have successfully addressed the issue by modifying the existing setup.

I decided to just replace the part per the service bulletin.

When I did the job, I did not see a way to do it without removing the top end. There is a pair of sort of backer towers that are part of the case the protrude up and cages (if you will) the intake boot to the cylinder. You will see what I mean when you start the job.

I just did the intake update on my 357 a few weeks ago.

I know there are some that have successfully addressed the issue by modifying the existing setup.

I decided to just replace the part per the service bulletin.

When I did the job, I did not see a way to do it without removing the top end. There is a pair of sort of backer towers that are part of the case the protrude up and cages (if you will) the intake boot to the cylinder. You will see what I mean when you start the job.
Ride-red,
Are what you talking about right behind the blue wire, where it looks like theirs a white dash mark on it?
Zoom in on it.
e5debea8b314dae0d1d5524c0fd531f0.jpg

No, it's the black round plastic ring with the two protruding dabs. Is next to the cylinder. You replace it with the new metal ring.
Sorry, what I was referring two is what he was saying about the two backer towers that prevent or create problems in doing the replacement without removing the top half.

Sorry, what I was referring two is what he was saying about the two backer towers that prevent or create problems in doing the replacement without removing the top half.

You could just snip them off with a pair of nippers and see if it helps. I'd try that before removing the cylinder, though it's not very hard to do.

You could just snip them off with a pair of nippers and see if it helps. I'd try that before removing the cylinder, though it's not very hard to do.
I would never do any snipping, looks like they're there to retain the boot. I'm having no symptoms and will probably order the kit for a rainy day.

If the saw is ran as little as it looks like, it likely will take some time before the plastic clamp fails anyway, if at all (my much used 353 from 2003 still has the original plastic clamp, doing fine so far).
Replacing it hardly is important at this point, it can wait.

Very nice saw. Start searching threads on the intake 346/359/357 all similar, there are a ton of photos in all stages of disassemble. Mastermind build threads are very detailed too.
With the scarcity of the 357 I'm surprised more people aren't using 359s. Find one with scored cylinder cheap, add stuffers and OEM 357 cylinder, walla 357. And the 359 badges confuse people when they see it run.

Do you guys think the carb boot between boot between the carb and partition wall should be changed also?

Latest posts

Back