372 with 8 pin clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a 372 that has been muffler modded and ported.Has anybody run and 8 pin sprocket instead of the 7 pin ? Think my saw will pull it OK ? I mainly run a 20" bar and once in awhile a 24".Also will I still beable to use my 72 driver chains if I go to a 8 pin clutch ? Thanks Ed

I have a 372 that has been muffler modded and ported.Has anybody run and 8 pin sprocket instead of the 7 pin ? Think my saw will pull it OK ? I mainly run a 20" bar and once in awhile a 24".Also will I still beable to use my 72 driver chains if I go to a 8 pin clutch ? Thanks Ed

If the saws ported correctly it will pull an 8 pin with a 20" bar like nothing, and yes the 72 DL chain will still fit. With that said a 7 pin is a better setup for a work saw especially with 24" and larger bars.

Well look at it this way. An 8 pin will give you around 15% more chain speed, but 15% less torque. With a 20" bar and a good chain, the saw should cut faster, but in a work environment it's really not worth it. I say go get an few 8 pin sprockets, they're cheap and if you don't like them nothing was lost.

I have an 8-pin and an 18" bar on mine, and it's supernice! It's stock and I don't think I have ever had the bar fully buried yet, but it feels like it would be no problem, at least in my softer wood. A 20" is probably going to work too, but with 24" and up it's probably time to get the old 7-pin back.

on my 2171 i run a 24 inch bar, have both 7 and 8 pin, muffler modded and bb kit and you can really tell the difference with an 8 pin, no where near the torque , I don't even try to run the 8 but a 20 inch bar may work good with an 8 pin

I sometimes run an 8 pin on my ms440 with an 18" bar. I only run this setup when I am bucking logs from a pile though. Dropping trees I have the 7 pin on. Never timed the 7 vs the 8 to see if it was actually cutting faster. You can definately tell that the torque is not there so might be loosing rpm in the cut causing it to cut slower. Got to time it and find out:blob2:

Mine mmed with a 24 showed no difference in cut time. The 7 held rpms better and matched the 8's higher speed. Not worth it to me, but ported it might work. Cheap and super easy to find out.

I run an 8 pin on my muffler modded 441 with the 20'' bar and it definitely cuts faster than the 7 in smaller wood say 16' or less. When I use my 28' bar I put the 7 back on.

Latest posts

Back