372's just about gone.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spike60

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
I was talking to a timber harvest professional last sunday. He runs a shear most days, drives truck and works landing if he has to. He carries an 440 on the harvester, but goes for days without starting it. If he gets stuck with a side hill or soft spot and cant safely get to a few trees, that old Stihl will come out.

His slasher has broken down a couple of times and someone will usually buck with a saw while someone else deals with that. Again, the 440, and his dad's saws (I don't know what the dad likes) come out of hiding.

He likes the 440...seems to live a charmed life, hasn't ever fallen off the equipment and been run over, which is the most common demise anymore.

I asked him once if it bothered him about the change to newer strato saws. He wondered why anyone would care, as long as the saw starts and runs.

I see your point, and I agree with it. But it's not so much about strato vs non-strato. It's more that the 372 is "just right", and a very popular saw.

I'm sure I could sell plenty of 288's if I had them, and as we know the 385 that replaced it was of course a non-strato saw. But guys really liked the 288's.

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
I've got a 390xp that I would imagine by the specs would be real close to a 288. I've never had the pleasure to run a 288 though.

eyolf

eyolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Spike: It's more that the 372 is "just right", and a very popular saw.

Absolutely.
And if the marketing dept at Husky have any pull with engineering at all, the stratified-charge replacement will have most if not all of the features that 372 lovers really want...balance, power/weight, anti-vibe, etc.

Most of us saw aficianadoes are nit-picking. My logger friend needs a tool...and his family has gone through them a lot faster than I have.

I imagine most of your customers have a relationship with you and your store. If Husky can't provide a product that serves the need, you'll find one that can. Some of those guys might drive down the road to keep buying their Swede saws, but niether you nor Sweden wants that, now, do they?

Diesel Pro

Diesel Pro

ArboristSite Guru
Did the latest 372's get the green cap and Cat muffler or are they still holdouts? I'm looking to pick up a 372xpg and would like to know before hand so I can order parts.

Is there some signifigance other than color to the green cap thing?

spike60

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Did the latest 372's get the green cap and Cat muffler or are they still holdouts? I'm looking to pick up a 372xpg and would like to know before hand so I can order parts.

Is there some signifigance other than color to the green cap thing?

372XPG's are already NLA. I don't think there is going to be a "G" version of the 372X-Torq because weborder suggests the 576XPG as an alternative rather than providing an expected backorder date.

The latest 372's are not cat equiped, and of course the X-Torq saws don't need cats. The green cap is just to identify E-tech/cat equiped saws.

Diesel Pro

Diesel Pro

ArboristSite Guru
My dealer checked and was told no stock, BUT it was coming back by popular demand in April supposedly unchaged as the same saw. No idea on qty of the batch though.

I saw one for $699 + 25 ship, but am torn between buying local and ordering online.

Thought I might find one sitting around at another local dealer as he often has old stock, but just a 362xp Special.

Last edited: