Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own a 440 and love it. I own a 660 and love it when I need more bar.

I have put 20-30 tanks through 441's.

The AV difference is significant. Compared to a 440, it is like the saw is not even on. For me, this manifests itself in dogging in too hard because there isn't the same feedback.

Fuel economy is a real world difference too. Not sure if there is a trees per gallon, but it drinks less fuel through the day.

That being said, I am looking for a 460 for a friend. I don't like the air filter access, I am somewhat skeptical of the strato engine and I know the 460 with a dual port muffler is a proven commodity. Many resources here to help you do the math based on your needs.

When I bought my 441, I asked my dealer(sells both Stihl and Husky) what he would recommend. I told him I was torn between the 372, 575, 441 and 460, he had them all in stock. He said the 441 was the saw. He gave me a great deal on it, I paid about $740. I asked him why the 441. He said it is the best built of the ones listed. He said he sees a lot more Husky repairs than Stihl by about a 2 to 1 margin and that the 441 was close enough to the 460 in power that I wouldn't miss it. In addition he said that the 441 had a more advanced anti-vibe system. The only problem he had come across with the 441 was that 3 different users had backed over them with there trucks! Strange coincidence. He said after completely rebuilding them he is confident that the 441 was the superior product.

I have used mine hard for the last 3 or 4 months and I love it. It has power to spare and I have done a fair amount of milling with mine. As far as modifying goes, I don't know. But IMO it is a great saw.

Good Luck!

Man I love these threads.:dizzy:

I've ran all of the saws listed, and In all honesty the 441 and 575 are both good saws that will most likely last most people a lifetime.

With that said, the 441 is not as smooth as stihl people claim it to be, and it's no stronger, or smoother than a 372 or 7900. Dollar for dollar I would much rather have a 460, 372, or 7900. But that's just me.:givebeer:

Very impressed with the responses guys and I appreciate it. Modding really isnt an issue as Im not really interested in tinkering with a new saw. Ive got an 031 av that was $5 at a garage sale that I wouldnt feel so bad about tinkering with. anyways thanks again, Im gonna put the 361 and 441 in my hands and decide which feels right to me.

I ran BigJakes 441 at the GTG in some pretty good sized firewood. I was impressed. It had great power. Nothing wrong with it at all. The only reason not to get one is if you're looking for a saw to port and get lots of gains out of. Most of the negative is likely just internet group think.

I love my 441. I don't know about all this "fuel miser" speculation. Mine drinks it like hell.

I bucked a pine stem approx 35 ft long yesterday (yes sharp chain), let it idle when I was rolling the blocks out of the way, and before I finished I had to refuel. 660 same way, just a little more thirsty.

I like my 411 with a 25" bar. It pulls the bar just fine and is sting with its fuel. I put in the heavier AV kit so it vibrates a bit more but the bar moves less too. The air filter stays much cleaner than any other Stihl I own.

Is the firmer AV standard on wrap 441's now, optional on some or something the end user installs at his discretion? How can one be sure they get that off the shelf?

Is the firmer AV standard on wrap 441's now, optional on some or something the end user installs at his discretion? How can one be sure they get that off the shelf?

I don't know. Lakeside is the go to guy for questions like this.

IMO always buy the full wrap Stihl saws. It is easy to sell the wrap handle if you don't like it and you get the larger oil pump and side cover where available.

If you are a homeowner looking to cut firewood or looking for something to use at deer camp I would probably opt for the 361. I have both but on days where I have to run a saw all day on the ground I feel a lot less tired if I use the 361 instead of the 441. The 441 is a great saw but I mainly use it to make my largest cuts, like on something 3' or larger and stumps.

had a 441 for a couple weeks.

hated it.it was heavy,didn't oil the chain,and made a lot of noise.

IMO always buy the full wrap Stihl saws. It is easy to sell the wrap handle if you don't like it and you get the larger oil pump and side cover where available.

great advice :clap: i'd rep ya but i'm out

Or just leave it on because that is the only way I feel comfortable cutting? :)

How stiff are the new springs?

Have to agree on this one....

Compared to other currently available models (husky 372, dolmar7900, and MS460) the 441 is a poor choice. I have only used this saw once, and once was enough. For lack of a better description, it was like cutting a log with a large watermelon. If you can find one, a used ms440 is an excellent saw! Compared to a 440, the 441 is a cruel joke.

I like the 460 a heck of alot better for the feel of it,,like my 440...I picked up a 441 last year and just dont feel good to me,,very uncomfortable,,,but to some people it would suit well...
To me I rather have to go 20 seconds slower tru a cut than to have a saw that dont feel good in my hands,,but thats where you have to chose,,what feels good to you.... Good luck!!! :)

Or just leave it on because that is the only way I feel comfortable cutting? :)

How stiff are the new springs?

I agree on the wrap handle. I made the mistake of buying a half wrap but Lakeside sold me a used Stihl3/4 wrap and I am alot happier. Steep ground really makes me appreciate the 3/4 stihl or full wrap handle on my other saws.

Re the springs I don't feel much difference in vibration but I do know the saw bar is now more precise. There must be more vibes, I just can't tell much.

Ive been running my 441 daily for the last three months.

In honhesty I can fault it, Nicely balanced, very low vibes, low fuel consumption and realativly 'nippy'.

Im running a 25" bar on it at the moment and it pulls it well Id happily buy another or recomend it.

HUSQY- Said It Best So I`ll repeat His Comments, "In honesty I can`t fault it, Nicely balanced, very low vibes, low fuel consumption and relatively 'nippy',"

Opinions and recommendations are great but it`s best to run the saw/s yourself, run the 361, 441 and 460 then buy the one you like.

Luck and safety

Back