Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 441 for about 2 weeks. I hated it. I did not like the spongy or loose feel of the av. I was not satisfied with the power. I prefer my 440.

Just bought a dolmar 7900. Now there is a smooth saw with power!

Interestingly.. the std handle version now comes with them.. the 441-Z (std in the USA) has the same hard spring kit as the wrap. Somewhere in the recent past they changed this...

New saw numbers ???

I edited it......:cheers:

Btw, there must be something evil with the 441, as discussing it tends to bring out the worst in people (myself included) - remember the first part of the "Da Prince" thread...........

As I said, I wouldn't really mind having one, I just believe there are better options.

Last edited:

Btw, there must be something evil with the 441, as discussing it tends to bring out the worst in people (myself included) - remember the first part of the "Da Prince" thread...........

As I said, I wouldn't really mind having one, I just believe there are better options.

Like the MS 290 ......:) :) :) :)

I believe you are right. Most of us do not like change. I've tried to describe tree guys to people with the following:

"We will stop at the same gas station every morning complain that their gas is to high, the coffee sucks, and the parking lot is tough to get out of. But we will still stop there every day for the next 10 years."

Mean while across the street is a new station that serves the best coffee in town and is consistently 10 cents per gallon less.

We are creatures of habit. We like the way things are and were. Seldom does change in our industry mean better (least in our eyes), just more expensive, harder to do, takes longer to fix, breaks faster...

Change is what that MS-441 represents. For me, means a new saw to learn. New engine design. New procedures for chasing down problems.

On the other hand, those of us who spent years with 038's, 056's, 075/6's in our hands and remember what having your hands numb for days because of the vibration, once we accepted that change can be a good thing...well thats when those new ole faithfuls 036/044/046/066 stepped forward and earned our trust...became our new habit.

Right or wrong. Regardless how silly we make thing it is, these new saws will come to be. There is no getting around it. So, y'all can do what I did when they pulled my 038's off the market and stock pile 10+ away...only to regret it a few years later when I agreed to try an 044.

Best thing we can do, provide feed back to the manufactures. Let them know they are too bulky, balance doesn't seem right, AV springs are to soft. They are in business to make money, if enough people agree...those changes will happen.

I believe you are right. Most of us do not like change. I've tried to describe tree guys to people with the following:

"We will stop at the same gas station every morning complain that their gas is to high, the coffee sucks, and the parking lot is tough to get out of. But we will still stop there every day for the next 10 years."

Mean while across the street is a new station that serves the best coffee in town and is consistently 10 cents per gallon less.

We are creatures of habit. We like the way things are and were. Seldom does change in our industry mean better (least in our eyes), just more expensive, harder to do, takes longer to fix, breaks faster...

Change is what that MS-441 represents. For me, means a new saw to learn. New engine design. New procedures for chasing down problems.

On the other hand, those of us who spent years with 038's, 056's, 075/6's in our hands and remember what having your hands numb for days because of the vibration, once we accepted that change can be a good thing...well thats when those new ole faithfuls 036/044/046/066 stepped forward and earned our trust...became our new habit.

Right or wrong. Regardless how silly we make thing it is, these new saws will come to be. There is no getting around it. So, y'all can do what I did when they pulled my 038's off the market and stock pile 10+ away...only to regret it a few years later when I agreed to try an 044.

Best thing we can do, provide feed back to the manufactures. Let them know they are too bulky, balance doesn't seem right, AV springs are to soft. They are in business to make money, if enough people agree...those changes will happen.

Best post of the year! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Dok

Great post DoK! I have a 441 and really like it as I have said before, if the folks in the aerospace industry was as forward looking and inovative as some our AS brothers we would still be flying things like Orville and Wilburn designed.

That really was a great post Dok! I definitely agree that it does generally happen that way. You distilled it down in a very nice read.

I'm definitely guilty as charged. I tend to like many things the way they used to be. It gets harder and harder to find stuff I like because of "change". Later this year I will be buying a 460, just because I want the classic before the changes start rolling in. That doesn't mean I wont try and like the new saws, but I really like tried and true designs.

-Mel

I've run a 441 a fair amount. Sure they might not have the power of an 044, 440, etc. That fact is unfortunate, but the saw does cut smoothly and is pretty comfortable to run. I know quite a few people who use 441s and I've never heard any of them complain, and many of these 441 owners have had experience running other brands of saws in a similar size. I guess it all depends on your expectations and how you use the saw.

Spot on.

Back