5100 -- Compresion Release or Not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbruffey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
If you go to the Dolmar Website and drill down to the 5100 page, there's a link to a manual for it. If you look in the manual, it shows a compression release. My "local" dealer, however, indicates (over the phone) that the 5100 he has in stock does NOT have the compression

release.http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/site/managed/downloads/1786/S995701929.PDF

See page 17, number 12.

What's up with that?

I need a saw that starts easy, every time, hot or cold (yeah, yeah, properly cared for and all that stuff). Comments on the startability of the Dolmar welcomed!

Thanks, Mark

A saw of that size (50cc) really doesn't need a comp release. So it will be easy starting whether it has it or not.

My MS361 has a comp release, and I never use it.:D

Gary

A saw of that size (50cc) really doesn't need a comp release. So it will be easy starting whether it has it or not.

My MS361 has a comp release, and I never use it.:D

Gary

OKAY. The dealer told me, however, when I mentioned I wanted easy startability, that this saw has tight compression. He was surprised the manual I was looking at showed the compression release, and said he had attended training for the saw. In training, in fact, the attendees were apparently unanimous in suggesting that the one thing the saw needed was a compression release. Maybe Dolmar's got it in the manual but not into the retail pipeline yet?

The compression release is not available in the US version. If you need a new piston and cylinder at some point the replacement can be had with the compression release.

But as of now the US models do not have it.

The compression release is not available in the US version. If you need a new piston and cylinder at some point the replacement can be had with the compression release.

But as of now the US models do not have it.

BUMMER. Any ETA?

What about startability then? Comments?

I have cylinders and deco valves IN STOCK for the PS5100 we have been converting a few on new saws, so I can resell the non deco at a little discount cause its still new. If you want Ill sell you the DECO P&C and the Deco valve if you already own a saw Or send it to me and I can install this option.

I had one here to run for my GTG back in May.

It does make the saw alot EASIER to start.

Scott

I have been pushing for the DECO valve to be standard on all the new PS5100's or atleast a option to no avail yet.

Scott

I've never had any trouble starting or re-starting my 5100s. On that little saw, I don't think the decomp is really necessary.

I think Dolmar does put it on some of their similar homeowner saws like the 510. Don't know what the logic is there, but it's a moot point; you don't need it.

No it is not in the 460 or the 510 but it is on the older design PS341 and PS401 and yea they really did not need them on a 33 or 39 cc saw. Is it needed on the PS5100 depends on the operator I have many many older gents that still want to use a saw that size BUT have issues from uncle Arthur Itus That make it very difficult for them to give that snappy pull required on the PS5100

Scott

There's no doubt that it would make starting easier; I just never found it hard to start in the first place.

You make a good point about older folks. The weight of the 5100 makes it a great choice for them and the easier starting would be a good option.

No it is not in the 460 or the 510 but it is on the older design PS341 and PS401 and yea they really did not need them on a 33 or 39 cc saw. Is it needed on the PS5100 depends on the operator I have many many older gents that still want to use a saw that size BUT have issues from uncle Arthur Itus That make it very difficult for them to give that snappy pull required on the PS5100

Scott

Good point... I guess it's like havin' one on an MS260 Pro.

I sometimes forget that not everyone is 6' 5" tall and built like Sasquatch.:) LOL

Gary

it would be a nice option,personally I don't need it,but the saw does require a firm yank on the cord for easy starting.
older gents would really appreciate a compression release option.

My stihl 066 91cc's has NO de-comp release and dont see any need for one on 60cc saws and down IMO, but those that worry about balance and weight and bar lengths might also really really need de-comp releases.:D :ices_rofl: :D

My stihl 066 91cc's has NO de-comp release and dont see any need for one on 60cc saws and down IMO, but those that worry about balance and weight and bar lengths might also really really need de-comp releases.:D :ices_rofl: :D

I agree you dont need De-comp.......Just put on a rescue handle instead to take up the kickback.........

Back