562 xp ms 362 c m

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut 160 + cords of hardwood firewood last year. All with my 3.5 year old 445. I love that saw. The 362's I have used were not mtronic. It just went into shop for a wore out carb
I have been lookin at both saws. I have operated two different ms 362's. Of course way more powerful and fun to cut with than the 445. I have not picked up the 562 yet but am leaning towards it since my 445 has gone above and beyond the call of duty it was designed for. This is 3.5 years I have used this saw only. So with all this rambling. Who thinks which saw will be the best all around firewood saw. I have an 18" aggressive stihl chain on the 445. I cut big logs most of the time. 30" to 36". I need more reach and power than I can get with the 445. Also which length bar 20" or 24" . thanks

Definately 562xp - and preferably a 20" bar - Tsumura light or Sugihara light if possible. ;)

So what year saw will have el48? Do I have to take the cover off at the dealers shop to see or can I just check the year of the saw? Can or will a still dealer diagnosis a husky saw? Or is that blasphemy? The still dealer here is awesome I just really think I want the 562xp

Basically 2014 or -15 - maybe some 2013 ones as well?

Chisel? I have never run a skip chain. I used to use a safety chain in dirty wood now I use a hatchet if its filthy if dirty I will just have to sharpen more often. I use a round file very well. A guy swore to me I had to buy a contraption that filed the dawgs at the same time you sharpen the teeth but I dont like it. I dont file the dawgs down hardly ever only if they need it. Any thoughts on my feelings on this?

Don't use skip unless tou really need it, it usually slows the cutting down, and vibrate more.

Chisel is more efficient than semi-chisel, unless the wood is "dirty". I prefere Oregon LPX, LGX and Stihl RS/RSC - they all work very well. Ime, LPX is a tad faster and smoother though.

OK after further review of the history of both companies. I choose Husqvarna. I was named after my uncle who was killed in France fighting the Germans in ww 2 The Stihl chainsaw was invented as a war machine for defense purposes in eastern Europe and Russia in 1926 I believe. After ww 1 it was privately owned for consumers. Just going with my gut on this one. My great great grandfather fought for my freedom and his brother (James) died doing so. I will just drive an hour for parts if I need them. Although my 445 has only needed 2 sprocket 1 throttle cable and 1 carb now. So hopefully the 562 will be as reliable. In 3.5 years of hard use.

Just remember to read the technical part of the user manual before using the saw. ;)

Andreas Stihl designed and hand built the first chain saw in 1926. .....

That is far from true, unless you g0 by their own rather "tailored" defination of what a chainsaw is. ;):givebeer:

An interesting note is that Andreas Stihl and the founder of Dolmar (Lerp) both worked for the same company before founding their own - and that company made and sold chainsaws. Then they both made their own definations, and have claimed to be first ever since.....:lol::laughing:

Btw, Husqvarna was founded in 1689, as an arms factory.

Husqvarna, about year 1700:
Huskvarna år 1700 (ca).jpg

Stihl or Husky?
I can get a 362 c-m for $120.00 less than a 562 locally. Another dealer, 90 minutes round trip, has the 562 for $80.00 more than the Stihl. All are good, knowledgeable and friendly dealers but the Stihl dealer goes the extra mile to make the customer happy. I consider the 562 the better saw, but in my case is it that much better to pay more or drive for an hour to buy it or for parts?
More considerations, Stihl saws hold their value really well in my area, I have spare large mount husky bars. Will the 362 hang with my stock 262xp?

That is far from true, unless you g0 by their own rather "tailored" difination of what a chainsaw is. ;):givebeer:

An interesting note is that Andreas Stihl and the founder of Dolmar (Lerp) both worked for the same company before founding their own - and that company made and sold chainsaws. Then they both made their own definations, and have claimed to be first ever since.....:lol::laughing:

Btw, Husqvarna was founded in 1689, as an arms factory.

Husqvarna, about year 1700:
View attachment 407717
That is awesome:chop:

Don't have time this time of year to read 5 pages of posts (I'm a Tax Preparer), but stock the 562 and 362 C are well matched, about the same wt & power.

The biggest difference is weather you prefer the inboard or outboard clutch. The outboard (562) is supposed to handle a little better, the inboard (362) makes changing chains, or removing the powerhead when stuck, easier.

There is a lot of bias out there, but ignore it, either saw will put a big smile on your face.

Good luck with your decision.

Ryan, go back and check the posts and you will find tons of stuff I was told about the 362 by "the experts" that was total nonsense.

What were you told that was total nonsense ? , i missed it

I dont understand the bias issue you always bring up ? Why do you think people are bias ?

Maybe they just prefer the better performing saw ?

Regarding the MS362, we wouldn't recommend the C-Q QuickStop model for winter use. Our saw has been stuck frozen in the internal clutch due to it. Therefore, I'll rather go for an inbound sprocket instead for less trouble. Also in wet cleaning areas, this C-Q has failed several times. So, stay away from QuickStop and inbound clutch is our experience.

Another problem with the MS362 is its sensitivity to the ignition coil status, that seems a bit under dimensioned.

Our MS362 refuses to run on idle with a spark plug that has a gap well larger than the recommended 0.50 mm. Therefore I set the distance to 0.45 mm, and the saw idles with a stability characteristics. I've read some have had running problems with the 362 and got a replaced ignition coil as the cure.

Troll, there are many people guilty of that other than me, I if U read my post I tried to make it very unbias. If I seem a bit defensive at times, it is because I believe the 362 C gets more inaccurate bashing than any other saw on the site.

Ryan, I was told it was a lot slower, a lot more heavy, a lot fatter, all complete BS.

And as to the subjective differences, they are just that, subjective. Some people seem to notice them more than others.

Stock, the two saws are virtually identical in size, wt & power.

Back