661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm happy to see this thread is still kickin strong (haven't heard a neigh in a while, must be doin it right) and on it's approach to 175 pages. :D

First I'll disqualify my self in sayin' I don't have, and never have had, a ported saw.
But truthfully, the few crank failures I've seen in two-cycle engines were all running ethanol blend fuel.
I have my own (admittedly bias) opinion of why that is... but this ain't an ethanol thread, it's an oil thread. At the same time, oil is mixed with the fuel so I'll just say I find it difficult to expect optimal results after introducing a moisture drawing, powerful solvent into an engine that relies on residual oil for lubrication. In fact... I can see no reason not to expect the worst.
He was using ethanol 87 gas at 50:1 w/hp ultra. And it was stock...not ported.

32:1 loads 2-4 of these a day. 1.5-2.5 gallons a day 5-6 days a week, and I don't have any issues.
974d3b39a84d7ccb1576a0ee65f56124.jpg
What saw are you using? Is it ported?

32:1 loads 2-4 of these a day. 1.5-2.5 gallons a day 5-6 days a week, and I don't have any issues.
974d3b39a84d7ccb1576a0ee65f56124.jpg
My Logging buddy (aka Monkey Man) said he used an average of 1.5 - 2 gallons of fuel a day. His longest day was over 4 gallons! His favorite logging saw was an 044 with the 440's being next. His buddy liked 372's. I stopped at his job site one day and let him run my ported 660. It put a smile on his face. Even the guy driving the loader had to stop and run it. He said that 660 had more torque than a 300 lb woman.

My Logging buddy (aka Monkey Man) said he used an average of 1.5 - 2 gallons of fuel a day. His longest day was over 4 gallons! His favorite logging saw was an 044 with the 440's being next. His buddy liked 372's. I stopped at his job site one day and let him run my ported 660. It put a smile on his face. Even the guy driving the loader had to stop and run it. He said that 660 had more torque than a 300 lb woman.
The 660 is bad azz no doubt. However, found the thing wore me out much faster than a 440 or a 372.

Belray h1r, Motul 800t or 710, Klotz r50, Maxima k2, Lucas, Super m, Yamalube 2r, Baileys Woodland pro, etc.

If I mix 32:1 or 40:1 in non-ethanol gas.
If I tune like Madsens procedure http://www.madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm
If I don't mind losing a couple seconds in each cut.
If cost is no big deal in a non-production application.
If I am not bothered by smell or fumes like milling use.
If I am looking for near maximum long life saws, good starting hot and cold.
If I am a maintenance responsible user (clean filters, sharp chain, good plug, etc.).
Can I be confident in using the oils listed above?
What about the saw manufacturer branded oils with the same parameters?

B&B Logging here runs 365XT's with Opti 2 at like 70:1...

I advised against it, but they probably didn't listen..

Belray h1r, Motul 800t or 710, Klotz r50, Maxima k2, Lucas, Super m, Yamalube 2r, Baileys Woodland pro, etc.

If I mix 32:1 or 40:1 in non-ethanol gas.
If I tune like Madsens procedure http://www.madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm
If I don't mind losing a couple seconds in each cut.
If cost is no big deal in a non-production application.
If I am not bothered by smell or fumes like milling use.
If I am looking for near maximum long life saws, good starting hot and cold.
If I am a maintenance responsible user (clean filters, sharp chain, good plug, etc.).
Can I be confident in using the oils listed above?
What about the saw manufacturer branded oils with the same parameters?
IF you do all those things you are obviously too perfect to be on this site! (Glad you are here)

Yes you would be fine :)

B&B Logging here runs 365XT's with Opti 2 at like 70:1...

I advised against it, but they probably didn't listen..

Let's see, 32:1 to 70:1. Hmmm. According to this thread every saw they have will be back in your shop with bearing failures. Very shortly. Great for business right? Sell the heck out of that Opti 2!

Let's see, 32:1 to 70:1. Hmmm. According to this thread every saw they have will be back in your shop with bearing failures. Very shortly. Great for business right? Sell the heck out of that Opti 2!
Their saws are clean and dry inside.. They buy a couple new ones every year. They all die prematurely from various causes.. Including lower end failure..

Back