7 HP 60cc work saw!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can it be built!

• Total voters
Well yes it can be built and you can work with it; there will be a few limitations that the advertorials will prefer to avoid discussing though! (It wont be able to sustain near the continuous duty cycle as a 100 cc saw that is generally rated that horsepower. Emissions and fuel consumption we wont mention. Piston and ring wear will be greater than the bigger saw because of a higher percentage port to cylinder bearing area. You wont be able to lay it on the log and pull the trigger, needs a bit of a running go as the torque will be a bit iffy at low rpm. It may be a bit cranky on the recoil pull as it will have to have a lot higher than stock compression. It is not going to purr like a kitten, you wont need to be told to wear ear protection)

On the other hand it will be one fun little saw and a lot of giggles whupping seventy, eighty, and ninety cc saws. Limbing and doing the smaller wood will be like having a magic weightless wand, compared to a 066 or 395. Worth it? that is up to the owner!

Well yes it can be built and you can work with it; there will be a few limitations that the advertorials will prefer to avoid discussing though! (It wont be able to sustain near the continuous duty cycle as a 100 cc saw that is generally rated that horsepower. Emissions and fuel consumption we wont mention. Piston and ring wear will be greater than the bigger saw because of a higher percentage port to cylinder bearing area. You wont be able to lay it on the log and pull the trigger, needs a bit of a running go as the torque will be a bit iffy at low rpm. It may be a bit cranky on the recoil pull as it will have to have a lot higher than stock compression. It is not going to purr like a kitten, you wont need to be told to wear ear protection)

On the other hand it will be one fun little saw and a lot of giggles whupping seventy, eighty, and ninety cc saws. Limbing and doing the smaller wood will be like having a magic weightless wand, compared to a 066 or 395. Worth it? that is up to the owner!

Professor Frank,

You sound as if you have a warehouse chocked full of these little 7HP, 60cc saws.

Joat

Sounds great, when & where can I buy one?

BTW, it certainly won't be a Stihl or Husky!

Professor Frank,

You sound as if you have a warehouse chocked full of these little 7HP, 60cc saws.

Joat

Lol, no, but I have had the pleasure of running a few that would roughly fill the bill!
I have the feeling that Wanabe was not referring to a stock saw either and the term "work saw" was used rather loosely too.:chainsaw:

Lol, no, but I have had the pleasure of running a few that would roughly fill the bill!
I have the feeling that Wanabe was not referring to a stock saw either and the term "work saw" was used rather loosely too.:chainsaw:

well they wouldnt be a saw for everybody, but one to work all day, everyday.

loose? not in my mind.

Like has been mentiond 60cc saws can be ported up to cut quicker than stock 90 plus cc saws. That should then be puting them in the 7 hp range. I have cut many cords of wood with one such <60 cc saw and it's holding up fine with minimal care and feeding.

well they wouldnt be a saw for everybody, but one to work all day, everyday.

loose? not in my mind.

Wanab, no I am not suggesting you are loose in the mind, lol! I agree with you basically, but if your "work" happened to be milling then I would say that a 7 hp 60 cc saw could only loosely be construed as a work saw. If your work involves a lot of smaller wood cutting then it really shines. It will cut the bigger stuff too, with good chain and technique but it is not what you would choose for flush cutting stumps. I certainly dont question 7 horsepower 60cc.

Wanab, no I am not suggesting you are loose in the mind, lol! I agree with you basically, but if your "work" happened to be milling then I would say that a 7 hp 60 cc saw could only loosely be construed as a work saw. If your work involves a lot of smaller wood cutting then it really shines. It will cut the bigger stuff too, with good chain and technique but it is not what you would choose for flush cutting stumps. I certainly dont question 7 horsepower 60cc.

hee, hee,

so its rumored that they do exist.

i understand your point clearly.

one does not typically go into the woods milling everyday, all day. i agree you might not be happy with one for milling or any 60cc saw for that matter.

Last edited:
Hey wanabe remember Romeo's last project?:cry: :cry: :givebeer: :givebeer:

That was more like 130cc producing 20HP and was never intended to be a work saw. I have no trouble believing a 60cc saw can probduce 7HP and be used successfully in a firewood cutting environment. Someone provide the dyno and I'll put my 361 on it for starters. I bet there are a few 359s and 357s out there to fit this bill too.

Last edited:
That was more like 130cc producing 20HP and was never intended to be a work saw. I have no trouble believing a 60cc saw can probduce 7HP and be used successfully in a firewood cutting environment. Someone provide the dyno and I'll put my 361 on it for starters. I bet there are a few 359s and 357s out there to fit this bill too.

i will tell you this. 7HP is a lofty # my friend. i agree your saw is a fine runner.

:cheers:

125cc bikes put out 20+ HP in the early 70s. You can do it with a saw but be careful for a "working saw".

You will have a narrower band of power and if you get into big wood bar/chain (rakers) / saw will have to be much more carefully matched to the job at hand.

Let us know. I've got a freebie 036 thats needs work.........

THROW BIG CHIPS!!!!

That race is at almost 9000' elevation so we figure about a 30% loss in hp. I don't think it will go 7 horse but it cuts pretty darn good. That one will never see real work again, it just lost too many cooling fins and plastic, and magnesium when it took on that gooseneck trailer.

Andy

Back