A good saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something in the $300 range I would be looking for a nice makita 6401 or husky 357 to bad your on the other side of Va I would sell ya my 6401. Hahaha

Im in the south eastern part of Virginia right by moyock and currituck North Carolina. I just put the makita in the classified section It is $400 I know it is a little bit more then you would like to spend but it is a very good saw. I was going to do the 7900 kit but I ended up getting a brand new 372 off of here last week if I can't sell it I will probably end up doing the swap when i get alittle more cash flowing.

heated handle? seriously whatever happened to gloves?

You get up in any of the states where the *highs* might if you are lucky hit 15 below during the day...and you'd understand.

Guys around the world cut wood right up to the arctic circle. You want anything you can get to stay warm, and especially to maintain some sort of feelings in your hands and feet. I can remember MANY days I wished I would have had heated handles.

I live in the south now, but I didn't always. It's a whole nuther ballgame up where it gets legitimately cold. Just completely different.

Bang for the buck it's hard to beat the Dolmar/Makita 64cc saws. I now own two and both were approx. $200 each. I just got the second one off the classifieds, it was a little grubby and needs anti-vibe springs ($15) but pulls 150psi and the piston looks super clean. Somebody here mentioned the 84cc P/C deal on Amazon which I snapped up for $107 which included shipping. The new NWP unit look pretty good to me---time will tell.

Even if you wanted to stay with 64cc and could locate a saw that needed a P/C somebody here must have a clean P/C to sell dirt cheap or give away. Either displacement will pull a 20" bar with plenty of grunt.

Compare a Dolmar/Makita to the Stihl 460 in the classifieds that is $375 and needs the bearings installed plus other misc. parts.

You say you don't need a big saw but once you've had one around for the bigger stuff, you'll wonder why you waited.

I'm in SW Va. myself. Is the Depot your talking about the one off Exit 7 I81? If so, they don't even have rental Makitas there.

I still recommend a Stihl 361 or 362.

Porkchop,

I have a Dolkita 7900 and a stihl ms260 and a husky 359. You are welcome to come over for a test drive if you would like. I picked up my Makita at a Home Depot for 200. I had to drive a ways but well worth it.

all right brad i might take you up since ive got the echo fixed and ou gave me a new toy to play with im on a back burner for right now wont need it this year anyways

why not a dolmar 5105 a 346 xp both handle the 20 " they can also run a 3/8 chain instead of just .325 dolmar is closer in value to the 290 but its a pro style saw got a dealer in the area . everyday use would lead me to go to pro series and 50 cc runs a 20" bar at max.

+1 on Dolmar. Great saws :chainsaw:

I've got a HD Dolkita. Tremendous power. Not for the faint of heart. I also have a 156 Efco that will cut anything and put a smile on your face everytime you use it. Another great deal out there and an alternative to these ridiculously priced chainsaws. There's always the Mac 10-10 too don't forget! And the Super XL's!

Get a ProMac 10-10 or splurge and get a PM700 and buy yerself a years supply of gas/oil and spare chain loops with the money you will save.

Latest posts

Back