A lemon Stihl MS 290?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The replacement saw I already bought was an MS 361 with a 20" bar as per the recommendation of my dealer..most of the stumps I typically do have been around 12-20 inches with the occasional bigger one from time to time. I don't use it really all that much in conjunction with the removal actually..I use it more for clearing brush, bushes and branches. I thought about buying the 460 with like a 28" bar or something to that order..but since I just spent the $575 on the 361..and I only do this part time..I'll just have to go easy on it until maybe the spring when I typically invest in my new equipment for the season. Thanx for the tip about richening up the mixture and the used saws though, I'll give em both a shot.

WolverineMarine,,,

First and Foemost,,,,, Thank you for your service to our country, My son is an active Duty Marine,,,, I agree with your assesment in your sig line,,,,:clap:

Not trying to rain on your parade but an MS290 Mid Grade/homeowner saw is not the best choice/type of saw that will hold up too stumping service

I flush cut lots of Stumps,,,,, flush cutting Stumps is extra hard on Saws because of the, extended run time, extra dirt that is hard to avoid @ times,,, 40:1 on the Mix is a good move,,,JMHO!!!! I run Stihl Ultra HP Synthetic oil,, I feel like it helps lube your moto's internals better and runs cooler,, than conventional oils,,,,

get yourself a good fallers ax and clean the bark/dirt from your target cutting area,,,,prior to beginning your cuts,,,, Plan your cuts to avoid as much dirt as possible,,, Your chain will stay sharper,,,, & last longer,,, Sharp chains are your saw's best friend,,,,,and keeps from over working the moto,,,, dont crowd the saw,,, let it feed @ it's own rate,,,, tune your saw till it just comes out of 4 stroking then fatten it up a 1/4 turn on the H screw,,,
if your saw/bar binds up on chips pull it out and rev the bar clear,,,, then continue,,, All of My stumping saws have High output west coast oilers

I like a 460 w/28/32 for stumping and an 066 wearing a 36 in reserve,,
I generally bring a couple of like saws cause its easier to grab a fresh saw/chain than to sharpen,,, and keep on rolling,,,,,:chainsaw: :clap:

will try to find some more pix on the other computer,, here is what we do after they are flush cut,,,

attachment.php

Chek this out!!!!!!!

This saw is my old 066 it is used commercially (beat on) just about every day for the last year by baby bro flush cutting stumps and felling big problem trees ,,,, run on Stihl Ultra the internals were well oiled and dripping wet when I pulled it apart I didnt have the cam then and the red rag soaked it up b y the time ithought about postin tha pics,,,pretty clean I'd say
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thats over 300+ hr.s cutting time on this topend job,,,,

:chainsaw: here is what I've seen in commercial stump removal service :clap: :givebeer:

290-390 series saws are good saws,,, if used in the homeowner environment,,,, they just are not pro grade saws and were never intended to be,,,,
If your gonna subject your equipment to pro/commercial service,,,, get the white handled stuff in the stihl line up or the XP grade in the Husky brand!!!

and it will last longer...........................

JMHO!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back