A little advice needed on a chainsaw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, although I don't really like women running chainsaws, but from Your profile I learned that You're a daughter of a logger, so I guess it is reasonable with You - once You get the sound, the fell and smell of fresh chips in Your blood, it stays there forever. There simply is the urge to get back to it.
As for the saws:
I, personally, would go with a Stihl MS 260. I haven't used the US version, which has smaller power, but the EU version is nice. It was the first saw I used and still use occasionally and it does the job - light enough, feels great and nimble, has enough power and even more for all Your needs.
Hope this helps.

The only problem I can see with getting a lady a saw is that you can lose your chief brush piling person that way. As in "Pile brush??!! Pile your own damn brush! I'm running saw !!!" :greenchainsaw:

Good point Bob, although I always made her run the saw anyways. :)
Very good point, but I agree with Jacob!

I honestly can't understand why folks are recommending the MS200.
You're talking about a $620 saw!! A MS211 has more power and only 9.5 lb.
And...wait for it...it's $280...vs...$620. Could buy 2 and come out cheaper!!
She'll use it for light homeowner use...her boyfriend can do any big stuff for her.
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Pine Tree Noodles

Well, although I don't really like women running chainsaws, but from Your profile I learned that You're a daughter of a logger, so I guess it is reasonable with You - once You get the sound, the fell and smell of fresh chips in Your blood, it stays there forever. There simply is the urge to get back to it.
As for the saws:
I, personally, would go with a Stihl MS 260. I haven't used the US version, which has smaller power, but the EU version is nice. It was the first saw I used and still use occasionally and it does the job - light enough, feels great and nimble, has enough power and even more for all Your needs.
Hope this helps.

I have a nice bowl of pine tree noodles on my dining table. When I was about 10 I LOVED to bury my face in my father's work shirts because of smell of him, the smell of the forest, the smell of logging.

Chaps

Well the boyfriend measured me for chaps. The only tape around was a Spencer Logging Tape. He thought and he thought and looked and looked for a place to secure the nail for an accurate measurement... Well now he has to get me a diamond stud for my belly button! :clap::clap::clap::clap: Man this Xmas is going to be expensive for him!! :jawdrop:

Well the boyfriend measured me for chaps. The only tape around was a Spencer Logging Tape. He thought and he thought and looked and looked for a place to secure the nail for an accurate measurement... Well now he has to get me a diamond stud for my belly button! :clap::clap::clap::clap: Man this Xmas is going to be expensive for him!! :jawdrop:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

OK...my lady...Oregon__Grown...
You've had plenty of time to go to Stihl dealer and try out the different models.
So what is the the final verdict on actual purchase??
Curious minds want to know what you liked and felt handling comfortably??
And, of course what you DIDN'T like and DIDN'T feel comfortable with??
Come on...fill us in!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Ok Inquiring Minds!!!!

He took me to the local saw shop... There were so many choices I got chainsaw dizzy. I am sure none of you have experienced that.. ROFL.. After lifting a few and thinking about what I was going to use it for... I got a Stihl 171 with a 14" bar. I really didnt need a bigger saw for home use because the boyfriend has a 660 with a 36" bar and 361 with a 20" bar. He no longer has to use the 361 for trimming the roses.. he said that is what my saw if for. He said it's quick and easy way to trim the roses back, but always wear protective gear. I hate rose bush backlash.. OUCH!!! So this weekend I get to cut on my downed 110" pine (well the top end anyway)!!! Going to have a ball!!!! Oh and I have reserved one part of the dishwasher for chainsaw washing!

He took me to the local saw shop... There were so many choices I got chainsaw dizzy. I am sure none of you have experienced that.. ROFL.. After lifting a few and thinking about what I was going to use it for... I got a Stihl 171 with a 14" bar. I really didnt need a bigger saw for home use because the boyfriend has a 660 with a 36" bar and 361 with a 20" bar. He no longer has to use the 361 for trimming the roses.. he said that is what my saw if for. He said it's quick and easy way to trim the roses back, but always wear protective gear. I hate rose bush backlash.. OUCH!!! So this weekend I get to cut on my downed 110" pine (well the top end anyway)!!! Going to have a ball!!!! Oh and I have reserved one part of the dishwasher for chainsaw washing!

Be safe, have fun, God bless!

I'm always chainsaw dizzy,Must be that smokeless oil.

Back