A new project!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigwelder

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well after along week of working at my real job and cutting firewood for the crazy amounts of orders i have gotten i finally got to open the new saw that i bought off of a internet site. I got a 064 that was suppose to be in good working condition and ready to cut. Well i opened the box and realized that i had been lied to! But it happens and i shoulda known that it wasnt gonna be like i was told it was because it was way to cheap and coming from a saw shop its self they knew what it was worth. Anyway i was told that it was a saw that a middle aged man had to cut up large trees that would blow down on his place from time to time. It looked ok in the pictures so i spent the money and got shipped to the house.

When i opened the box and picked the saw up outta the newspaper it had the flop of messed up av mounts!! Noticed it right off!! Then i started lookin it over even more and somebody had just painted all of the scratches with spray paint and hadnt even tried to keep over spray off anything! So at this moment i was pissed! called the guy i bought the saw from and no answer who woulda thought.

at this time my wife came out to the shop to see what i thought about dinner. She could tell that i was pissed bc me and this saw had a date with a huge pecan tree tomarrow!! It was gonna be a great sunday afternoon church in the am and big saws and big trees in the afternoon! plus beers after because i dont have to work on monday. But it turns out that unstead of big saws and trees i am gonna spend alot of time with a toothbrush and soapy water. this is the nastiest saw i have ever seen. Dont know what kind of wood they had been cuttin but it was full of sap and dust. no chips just dust.

Well after the initial pissed reaction i got to thinking and was very happy. I now get to tear this thing down clean it up and make it beautiful again. Then go cut that big pecan. It is for a family friend so the understand and just want it cut before spring and the storms show up.

i got the saw tore down as far as i am gonna go with it. not pulling the jug. of all the things the guy didnt do he did replace the piston and rings. still machine marks on the piston. Before i tore it apart i checked compression 175 by my gauge after about 7 or 8 pulls. Then gave it a vacuum and pressure test and it is perfect left is pressured both ways for 1 hour and no leaks. also the crank bearings are tight as can be. there is no movement in the crank at all. So i stopped where i was. didnt see need in going any further. I am new to restoring saws so is there anything else i should look at or be worried about at stopping here? I only got the one pic today but will get some before and after of the clean up tomarrow.

So far the parts list is up to: all new av mounts, carb kit of course, intake boot, carb base, impulse hose, have a new vent laying around so that will be changed the fuel line looks brand new so i think the previous owner must have just done that.

one last thing to ask has anyone tried welding on a crank case? The dog mount on the crank is broken and i really wanna have big dogs with roller chain catcher. I know not really necessary. but there are no saws of this size where i am form so i want it to look like a beast! and i plan on fabbing up a 3/4 wrap handle. Being a welder has its perks some days. View attachment 197653

Sorry to hear about the disappointment but, like you mentioned, you can turn this into a learning experience.

A crankcase can be welded but it requires a mig welder, special filler rods and experience welding magnesium. Check with some of your local welding and/or engine shops for someone who can do it.

Here is some info I have gathered on the subject.

Welding of Magnesium and its Alloys,Airframes,Gear Boxes,Handling Equipments,Printing Equipment,Dictating Machines

Use the menu on the left side of the screen.

Be Careful...

Congratulations on taking on an unexpected project with a good attitude.

Be very careful welding that crankcase, if it indeed is magnesium. I am a pipefitter by trade and have a friend and fellow fitter who is probably the best welder I have ever seen. He has a well-outfitted shop at his home that he often does specialty work in and was once asked to repair an expensive magnesium motorcycle wheel. When he struck a TIG arc, the wheel burnt. He had just enough time to hurl it into his gravel driveway before it burnt to nothing. Since that experience, he has retrofitted an old sandblast cabinet on the advice of a welding engineer so that he can weld similar wheels in a space completely filled with shielding gas and has had no similar experiences. Others may have had other experiences, but I'd do my homework first.

Latest posts

Back