A treeman without a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckySawyer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Do any of you use tree climbing as a money making skill/service that you provide to a customer?

Without a saw?

Like installing bat boxes, rescuing cats, landscape lighting, aerial photography, etc?

i bet a fella could make a pretty good living stringing christmas lights, for about 2 weeks in the year . . . . :rolleyes:

A cat once. I have been asked about the christmas lights but no jobs. I have done christmas lights for myself and I clean my owl nest box. I forgot, I have changed dusk to dawn lights bulbs and the sensor.

Last edited:
Installing antennae, tree houses, other habitat, pest mgt.

I used to climb an old cottonwwod on the shores of Lake Wingra to video UWis crew races across the lake. Prettty cool angle, as we saw the boats getting nearer and nearer, but high enough to see who was ahead. Same with sailing regattas on Lake Mendota, where Otis Redding took his final dip.

Without a saw...

I've fixed spotlights; hung plumb bobs to determine if trees are moving; retrieved cats; hung swings; climbed ham radio towers; gone to the top of a grain arm; anything that isn't on the ground - that work is too hard!

There is a place on the lake here where I have twice adjusted some lights that were placed by an outfit a number of years ago at about 70 feet. That person was thinking of climbing work down the road! Convince any customers that want only X-mas lights to put in year round ones, so you can go back once a year and check on them.

There is always a reason to go up, even without a saw!

Climb safely, all,

:) :umpkin:

I put in a batbox In this 1000 year old apple tree to try and block the uphill neighbors spotlight from shining into the clients bed from reflection of his bathroom mirror. $300
Warring neighbors.

Did you guys see on the news the other day where a base jumper jumped from a television tower in Walnut Creek CA and got hung up on one of the support cables? He was about 150 ft in the air and the fire rescue ladder only went to 105 ft so one of the firemen put a couple of prussiks on the support cable and inched his way up the cable to bring the base jumper guy a harness and I'm assuming some way to let him down to the top of the fire ladder.

For an art student I hunt deep fried pieces of bread on string in a oak tree for a project she was doing. Gross but sure was pretty! Cat out of tree, haliard on a flagpole....cant think of others right now!

hmmm what a timley topic :umpkin: halloween last night and with the clocks going back an hour was quite dark when i was asked to climb a lime tree to retreive of all things a model jet plane ,£50 quid in the pocket and a happy wing commander reunited with a rather exspensive model (£700),(more buisness loomin as the social club i drink at has allowed his flying club to use the back fields which are surronded by trees on 3 sides) :p

highpoint-utd(more buisness loomin as the social club i drink at has allowed his flying club to use the back fields which are surronded by trees on 3 sides) :p[/QUOTE said:
Bloody capitalist !! :p

On the cat rescue, it was in a italian cypress tree and I reached within a foot of the cat he jumped about 30' landed with a big thud and made a beeline for the cat box and took a big dump, then headed for the food dish.

You forgot to bring sardines up with you. A can a sardines and a couple of patient minutes and sweet talkin can usually convince them of your intent.

2 cats, after the first i learned to wear long sleaves and gloves, they claw like crazy i just pitched them down to 2 or 3 people holding a sheet. 1 bat house, 3 owl houses, baby african parrot, that was an adventure. And a baby hawk, but big brother dumped him out again. Survival of the fittest, poor runt.

Latest posts

Back