Advanced Falling Cuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe there is a reason for the property prices in the area lol. What is Yreka like?

Yreka is destined to have a Paint Your Wagon type incident. At least that' s what I heard. When I would go to Yreka, it seemed like a nice place, but I lived in Somes Bar so my views might have been skewed a bit. Yreka has a very uncrowded Walmart because most people drive over to Oregon where there is no sales tax. You can always impress people with Yreka Bakery....study those two words a while.

I haven't been there in a long time, but I think I did stop and fill up with gas on one of my trips south.

I have not seen that movie so I have no idea of what that means lol
Underground mining during the gold rush days. The whole area is honey-combed with old mining tunnels. Miles and miles of them. Unmapped and not maintained.
In the movie an entire town sunk when all the old tunnels collapsed at once. It could happen in Yreka.
It could happen in Grass Valley, too. That's just one more reason why I'm moving back to the coast.

Yreka is destined to have a Paint Your Wagon type incident. At least that' s what I heard. When I would go to Yreka, it seemed like a nice place, but I lived in Somes Bar so my views might have been skewed a bit. Yreka has a very uncrowded Walmart because most people drive over to Oregon where there is no sales tax. You can always impress people with Yreka Bakery....study those two words a while.

I haven't been there in a long time, but I think I did stop and fill up with gas on one of my trips south.

Bakery.... Clever

There is a town in Oklahoma that that partially happened to. They where mining lead for WWII and reportedly dug under the town till they hit roots.

This Happy Camp sounds a little like Darrington, lots of long time locals some have never been more then 30 miles from home... lots of weird family grudges, bush vets, stills, grow ops, and meth heads...

I moved out first chance I got... course I'm just 20 mi south as the crow flies, but dammit we have more then one dining establishment, and several industries, not just the mill and some logging...

There is nothing like coming up on a camper parked 5 miles behind an overgrown dnr gate, and finding a colman stove still on... no tire tracks to be found and a strange odor...

Happy Camp has no mill. It closed. Shortly after that, the gas stations closed--only a card lock pump was left.
Meanwhile, one of the two markets in Orleans had to put in a strong door. Jimmy Pete kept crashing his car into it when he wanted cigarettes and beer at 2AM. The Somes Bar store owner had a brick thrown through his store window in a similar act. He took it upon himself to stop the stealing from his pop machine. He installed razor blades inside it and found blood all over one morning. That theft stopped. He also was not adverse to shooting at any cars that took off without paying for gas. Life on the Klamath river....it don't get much better.

I have heard that wine grapes are getting planted in the area.

This Happy Camp sounds a little like Darrington, lots of long time locals some have never been more then 30 miles from home... lots of weird family grudges, bush vets, stills, grow ops, and meth heads...

I moved out first chance I got... course I'm just 20 mi south as the crow flies, but dammit we have more then one dining establishment, and several industries, not just the mill and some logging...

There is nothing like coming up on a camper parked 5 miles behind an overgrown dnr gate, and finding a colman stove still on... no tire tracks to be found and a strange odor...
Oddly enough, Darrington has one of the finest archery ranges in the country.

Oddly enough, Darrington has one of the finest archery ranges in the country.

Spent many hours getting it ready for world shoots, at the time I heard it was one of the largest ranges in the world 400+ acres... (they may have bought more since then?)

This would be 1994-96-98? world and national archery shoots... 2 crazy weeks having a bunch of hill billies deal with foreign languages and accents... Some fun stuff there... didn't help the "adults" in charge where half drunk most of the time:cheers:

Spent many hours getting it ready for world shoots, at the time I heard it was one of the largest ranges in the world 400+ acres... (they may have bought more since then?)

This would be 1994-96-98? world and national archery shoots... 2 crazy weeks having a bunch of hill billies deal with foreign languages and accents... Some fun stuff there... didn't help the "adults" in charge where half drunk most of the time:cheers:
I shot NFAA Outdoor Nationals there about 8 years ago with my son. It's a beautiful range.

Yeah Darrington is a pretty place what with the mountains staring down at ya, half of the trails on the range aren't even used during the big events, Hel I haven't even seen all of em... last I knew the whole thing is taken care of by like 3-4 people, for the big events a few more "volunteers" sign on for the massive work parties, in all about 20 people make the whole thing happen.

The messed up thing is other then occasional foot ball practice by the high school, it almost never gets used, outside of work parties I've never ran into another person while there.

Latest posts

Back