Advanced Falling Cuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not a back cut, that's a common way to release the "trigger" when using bore cutting. Bore cutting is common with hardwood.
Could be, but that's quite a distance to travel for a trigger. Kinda defeats the purpose. They don't show it close enough for me to tell. I wonder how long it took for him to cut that tree, with the cameraman saying things like wait hold on a second you need to look more serious, and where's your spacesuit top!?

i'm thinking several hours. maybe I need more drama in my style.

Yeah, way too much trigger wood. I don't like that term, "trigger", but it seems to be the universal term

at 32 seconds I think you see a little burst where the tension is released when the trigger bypasses the bore cut, and the characteristic fast fall after release, with a back cut the falling progresses and accelerates in a different way. You think the Germans are gonna show a backcut?

I'd rather not but on bigger timber with heavy lean and heavy tops you should. Anyone with know how in my timber should agree, and the best ones do. Think big northern red oak. Depends on felling direction vs lean, how heavy the crown is and how far out it is crowned out, also in places where there is excessive grape vine or standing dead it allows for a lot more time for escaping. The tree that guy cut, looked straight up and down, unnecessary.

There are so many more important things, I don't fault anyone for reverting to basics, and it is very safe for our timber. I'm more concerned with where someone places their fuel, if time management and productivity is the issue.

Depends on when and where, as to how often. Some days only one or 2 trees, some days most trees. (the timber ones...)

On the real big heavy topped oaks its tuff to get away from leaving some kind of a holding post or trigger so you can get the rest cut up to avoid pulling a ton of fibers when coming off the stump. There are other ways to do it though. The last time I bore cut a tree it was a super hairy situation and I needed to get out of there asap. Thats about the only time I do and I can count on my hands how many times a year I do that.

Boring is like putting stuff into slow-motion for a while. You can set stuff up without having to power thru to avoid pulling or chairing. If I had Bitz' or TS's skill I'd never "GOL" stuff, but I don't.

cut one hollowed, cat-faced Red Cedar, bastard had five pillars holding it up, fearful lean, cut the leg up front, started on the rest, damned thing shifted back and forth like a 15 year old boy talking to pretty girl. Went 102" at the cut, whittled the sumbeach with an XL12, worked on the inside some, came out looking like a coal miner.

I'd rather not but on bigger timber with heavy lean and heavy tops you should. Anyone with know how in my timber should agree, and the best ones do. Think big northern red oak. Depends on felling direction vs lean, how heavy the crown is and how far out it is crowned out, also in places where there is excessive grape vine or standing dead it allows for a lot more time for escaping. The tree that guy cut, looked straight up and down, unnecessary.

There are so many more important things, I don't fault anyone for reverting to basics, and it is very safe for our timber. I'm more concerned with where someone places their fuel, if time management and productivity is the issue.

Depends on when and where, as to how often. Some days only one or 2 trees, some days most trees. (the timber ones...)

on heavy leaners its good to bore the heart. on hickory its always a good idea to bore the heart.

on heavy leaners its good to bore the heart. on hickory its always a good idea to bore the heart.
yes......from the face. gutted is what we call it .
i normaly would do it to any big white oak........had to turn one 90* the other day so i just blocked it. didn't even have to wedge, tho i did palm one in. it turned beutifuly and pulled no fiber. just trimmed off the block strip.

yes......from the face. gutted is what we call it .
i normaly would do it to any big white oak........had to turn one 90* the other day so i just blocked it. didn't even have to wedge, tho i did palm one in. it turned beutifuly and pulled no fiber. just trimmed off the block strip.
right you are. just stick the bar in and tickle it a bit. Then commence to make a regular back cut. Another reason why I prefer humboldts. you can bore the heart out without the handle bars getting in the way.

Back