Advanced Falling Cuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoopa in the early 70's was a recreational hotspot, drink and fight all night, wake up at noon in the parking lot of the bar then go fish for a hr and sleep til dark then do it again. I'd make it 3 maybe 4 days before losing my fishing pole or my pick up. Those Hoopa boys sure like to scrap !

Never been to Covelo that I can remember.

Count 1,127 power poles going north from Willets on 101. Turn right. Remember that the painted centerline on the paved part of the road has nothing to with traffic control, especially on blind turns. It's just a survey marker. Gas up before you leave Willets. Gas prices change according what you're driving and the mood of the attendant when you get to Covelo
Set your watch back about fifty years.
It's a great place for bar fights, random stabbings in the parking lot after the bar closes, STDs that there isn't any known cure for, and high speed alcohol induced car wrecks.
When the FS sold timber there was a mill there, employment, and relative prosperity.
That was a long time ago.

I put on a tape of bagpipe music and rolled down the windows when driving through Hoopa. I don't know why. It seemed to be the thing to do. Hoopa had a sign on both sides that said, ARSON, We don't need it.

Now upriver on those cliffy curves between Hoopa and Weichepec, I had to brake a couple of times for a herd of pigs that was trotting down the road. That seemed a bit odd.

Count 1,127 power poles going north from Willets on 101. Turn right. Remember that the painted centerline on the paved part of the road has nothing to with traffic control, especially on blind turns. It's just a survey marker. Gas up before you leave Willets. Gas prices change according what you're driving and the mood of the attendant when you get to Covelo
Set your watch back about fifty years.
It's a great place for bar fights, random stabbings in the parking lot after the bar closes, STDs that there isn't any known cure for, and high speed alcohol induced car wrecks.
When the FS sold timber there was a mill there, employment, and relative prosperity.
That was a long time ago.
The outfit I cowboy for leased a ranch there. south end of the valley. We summered about 400 cows there last year. Lol I just went and looked at the ranch with the boss, drove thru what town was there, stayed away from the bar. At my age I don't need to play those games anymore lol. Never made Covelo in my younger days, but did some dancing and fighting at Paskenta and Elk Creek lol. Ed

I remember the " Arson" signs in Hoopa.

I had a very minor run in with two brothers and their buddy one time on the side of the road in Weichepec. At least I assume the two where brothers as they looked very similar.

I did some class work on Tish Tang Ridge a few times too. Now we're talkin' timber.

So back to the topic for one post, talking about the farmers backcut...stihl has a video out on youtube advertising their new 661, i bet most of yawl have seen it, but the farmer I mean faller :bowdown: in the video did one of them sloping back cuts, and I said boy gee the folks over there at AS might get a kick outta this!

I just went back and checked, looks like that video is prit near old, im behind the times i reckon. oh well, I dont take it back

If'n I ever cut down another tree, I'm gonna make a video just like that. I'll definitely edit out all the "monkey humping a football" parts this time. Should be pretty short
And set it to some good early Norwegian black metal, Stormblast by Dimmu Borgir perhaps. Ensure you wear some war paint.

Latest posts

Back