Advice/recomendations on old small Stihl or similar chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chazz

Chazz

ArboristSite Lurker
If you want a Stihl saw of the similar era as an 041, try a Stihl 020AV or 020AVP (the predecessors of the 192, 200 and 201). Be aware that these are kind of cult saws, and are about as difficult to work on as the 041.

View attachment 969840View attachment 969841
Cheers, they look interesting. Never used a top handle. What are the benefits or drawbacks etc. I thought the 041 was easy to work on! Never stripped the engine though but think it would be pretty straight forward though. Thanks for the info

bulletpruf
Cheers, they look interesting. Never used a top handle. What are the benefits or drawbacks etc. I thought the 041 was easy to work on! Never stripped the engine though but think it would be pretty straight forward though. Thanks for the info
I'd go with a 020 with a rear handle; they come in both top and rear handle configurations. Top handle saws are really for climbing; folks use them on the ground, but a rear handle saw is safer.

EKreider89

EKreider89

ArboristSite Operative
Posting this question to this thread, but if you guys have a suggestion for what other threads I can post this to that would be helpful.

I have both a 015R and just bought an old top handle 020AV. Can someone give a breakdown of a few of the differences? I’m trying to decide which one I want to keep as my smallest saw. I know the 020 has AV and the 015 doesn’t, but comparing on Mike acres website shows little difference between the two.

JKendrick87

JKendrick87

ArboristSite Operative
I've run briefly the 026, not sure which model.

It was great. Comparable to the 346 with slightly less chain speed.

I have a couple 024av/s that I'm going to try to fix up this Summer. They have nice feel in the hand and are peppy. The 024S can be converted to an 026.

028's are solid and near the 254/357 range.

I wood aim for Supers or better, but any of them are decent, especially at the right price.

Someone else put up two 028's for sale months ago. Might try looking to see if they're still available.
Anyone know what fair price is on a clean and running 026?

freeasaburt

freeasaburt

ArboristSite Operative
+1 for an 026. Great saws, I have two, from 1999 and 2001, one is a 026C. The 026 needs some tlc after years of serious use (mainly by my dad).
Powerful for the size, easy to work on, strongly built.
Some have idling issues when you put them on the ground, forgot what causes that, or if it can be fixed.
Don't take my word for it, but if I'm not mistaken the amount of bar oil it pumps isn't dependent on the engine speed, so it keeps on oiling at max level even when idling. Small issue, in my opinion.

If anyone has feedback on these statements, i'd be glad to hear it ;-) .

Pricewise: about ten years ago I said €260 is a good price for a 026, €440 a good price for an 044, etc. Just a vague rule of thumb obviously but those were more or less realistic prices then, and €260 is exactly what I paid for my second hand 026c.
Seems to me that here in Europe, those prices or a bit more, are still asked... (of course the value of €1 has decreased since then, inflation and all that, but anyway).
€1 is more or less equal to $1 at the moment, btw.

JKendrick87

JKendrick87

ArboristSite Operative
+1 for an 026. Great saws, I have two, from 1999 and 2001, one is a 026C. The 026 needs some tlc after years of serious use (mainly by my dad).
Powerful for the size, easy to work on, strongly built.
Some have idling issues when you put them on the ground, forgot what causes that, or if it can be fixed.
Don't take my word for it, but if I'm not mistaken the amount of bar oil it pumps isn't dependent on the engine speed, so it keeps on oiling at max level even when idling. Small issue, in my opinion.

If anyone has feedback on these statements, i'd be glad to hear it ;-) .

Pricewise: about ten years ago I said €260 is a good price for a 026, €440 a good price for an 044, etc. Just a vague rule of thumb obviously but those were more or less realistic prices then, and €260 is exactly what I paid for my second hand 026.
Seems to me that here in Europe, those prices or a bit more, are still asked... (of course the value of €1 has decreased since then, inflation and all that, but anyway).
€1 is more or less equal to $1 at the moment, btw.
4A5B08C8-E37E-4382-8034-25D1CD30962C.jpeg4EE7EB4B-12AC-41B3-995D-E79A25B75B3C.jpegB3F36B35-57B8-470F-A508-74F0EEE26A07.jpegSays running condition, asking $150 US

freeasaburt

freeasaburt

ArboristSite Operative
That's pretty cheap, although 'running condition' can of course still mean it needs quite some replacement parts... Then again, a lot of things are way cheaper in the States than they are here. I'm a big (pcp) airgun fan and I know that for those things, price differences can be pretty massive.

I did a quick search on a Belgian second hand site and found 3: one for €250, one for €295 and one for... €375 (asking prices, obviously, they're not per se gonna sell them for that).

Mad Professor
I've 3 026s. First one was a filthy CL find when I got it but a good runner for $95, and came with 5 chains ~ 50% wear on them.

026 CL.jpeg

026cleaned up.jpg

The 2nd looks nicer but looks to have been straight gassed, I think the cylinder will clean up and I have a new OEM piston for it (piston was a $40 ebay find). That one came in a box of parts as a package deal for an 064 I got for $150. The 064 had a bad Bosch coil. There was also a 028S and 024S in the box. Those are just parts saws but the 028S has a nice OEM P/C. The 026 will get piston seals and any rubber parts it needs. No pictures handy on those.

I got one more at a farm auction this summer for $100. Took a chance on that one. Decent looking but has some piston scoring and needs a bath. Compresion is 150psi so I think the cylinder will clean up. Have started it but don't want to run it until I get a good piston in it. Seems to be carbon scoring. Has a newer aftermarket bar and chain.

026.jpg

026 piston.jpg

MacAttack

MacAttack

I love the smell of 2-stroke
. AS Supporting Member.
My only comment on this thread is that I had to look up what a McCulloch "California" was, haha. Appears to be an Electrolux made "McCulloch" post-bankruptcy.
I used to work on some of those little top-handle Stihls with the pain in the ass throttle / choke linkage, those things sucked to put back together.