Advise on nice 70 + CC Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davel369

Reaction score
Love this site by the way! Thanks to all that helped me get my 260 Pro modded and running like it should now.

So my question is what saw should I purchase for my big boy saw that I seem to be needing more and more and have to have buddy's come over to help cut up the big stuff... I'm a young guy (27) So I love lots of power and noise doesn't bother me. I have a 260 pro with a 18" bar on it now. It will do the job on 75% of my backyard jobs. In process of loggin 350+ red oaks over the next year or 2. The average is 24"-40".
I've had to pull out the Mac700 a few times, that thing is a bear...Love to bring it out sometimes to make some noise in the woods, but I know that there are better saw's now 30 years later. SO what do you reccommend. I've always been a big fan of Husky's. Just got converted to Stihl. Very disapointed in the 260 up until the mod's.
I'm not a big guy, So I don't think I can run a 660 all day without killing myself. what's a really strong runner that can handle a 25" plus bar?
Love a saw that is very reliable (hence the 260) ...

thanks

Dave.

Welcome to the forum. That is perhaps the most discussed class of saw on this forum. There are TONS of threads about said saws. Read anything you can about

MS440
MS441
MS460
372XP
and the list goes on.

So my question is what saw should I purchase for my big boy saw
I'm not a big guy, So I don't think I can run a 660 all day without killing myself.
thanks

Dave.

I wish I could help, but as you can see in my sig, I'd tell you to look at a 6 series!?
Whatever you get, you'll have fun with it.:chainsawguy:

If you're into Stihl, go for the MS460. I love mine! Very powerful, will pull a 32" bar with no problems, and won't wear you down like handling a 660 all day long.

The husky 372xp and 576xp are nice along with their prettier cousin the 2171 or 2172.

In process of loggin 350+ red oaks over the next year or 2. The average is 24"-40".
Dave.

Are you cutting the timber for fire wood, or logs?

If fire wood, then 70cc or so.

But If I was just cutting logs I would pick 660.

TT

Last edited:
If you're going to be falling that many I would rather have 90cc backing the bar than a 70cc unless its going to be ported.

For a used saw,,or if you can find one new...

Love this site by the way! Thanks to all that helped me get my 260 Pro modded and running like it should now.

So my question is what saw should I purchase for my big boy saw that I seem to be needing more and more and have to have buddy's come over to help cut up the big stuff... I'm a young guy (27) So I love lots of power and noise doesn't bother me. I have a 260 pro with a 18" bar on it now. It will do the job on 75% of my backyard jobs. In process of loggin 350+ red oaks over the next year or 2. The average is 24"-40".
I've had to pull out the Mac700 a few times, that thing is a bear...Love to bring it out sometimes to make some noise in the woods, but I know that there are better saw's now 30 years later. SO what do you reccommend. I've always been a big fan of Husky's. Just got converted to Stihl. Very disapointed in the 260 up until the mod's.
I'm not a big guy, So I don't think I can run a 660 all day without killing myself. what's a really strong runner that can handle a 25" plus bar?
Love a saw that is very reliable (hence the 260) ...

thanks

Dave.

I bought my ms440 from a man in the PNW used,,and God knows no telling how many hours been ran on that saw...Maybe i just lucked out cause he was honest and told me the saw was in great shape ..It was and I used it a many a day felling and bucking trees....I didnt think it could get any better than that till I did a muff mod..It got better,,,then I sent it to Brad cause we was gonna try some new pistons that come out but eneded up they wasnt like they should have been,,so Brad did some mod work for me and I will always appreciate him for that...Man...Its so unreal and so much fun .......
I run a 28 inch bar on mine with a full skip chain,,the way it came from Oregon....I been really pleased,,but if I ran a full chisel on it it prob. would be scary....To me they are one of the best new generation 70 cc that ever came out....Your Pro Mcc 700 got the stuff behind it,,and you know runnin it all day and how it is...Hands get numb,,starts to get heavy..It's a damn shame that they didnt keep up with the times...But still,,it's a great saw from the past........
If you can find a new ms440 you wont go wrong,,or a good used one for the money....I dont think you will complane.... Good luck ,,and just my personal experance with my 440...

If fire wood, then 700cc or so.

TT

logs,but with the logs I'm starting to aquire a #### load of firewood as well...
my mod 260pro is pretty sweet for the firewood part of it. I can crank faster than most walking down the logs cutting them up when its just for firewood...

Last edited:
I bought my ms440 from a man in the PNW used,,and God knows no telling how many hours been ran on that saw...Maybe i just lucked out cause he was honest and told me the saw was in great shape ..It was and I used it a many a day felling and bucking trees....I didnt think it could get any better than that till I did a muff mod..It got better,,,then I sent it to Brad cause we was gonna try some new pistons that come out but eneded up they wasnt like they should have been,,so Brad did some mod work for me and I will always appreciate him for that...Man...Its so unreal and so much fun .......
I run a 28 inch bar on mine with a full skip chain,,the way it came from Oregon....I been really pleased,,but if I ran a full chisel on it it prob. would be scary....To me they are one of the best new generation 70 cc that ever came out....Your Pro Mcc 700 got the stuff behind it,,and you know runnin it all day and how it is...Hands get numb,,starts to get heavy..It's a damn shame that they didnt keep up with the times...But still,,it's a great saw from the past........
If you can find a new ms440 you wont go wrong,,or a good used one for the money....I dont think you will complane.... Good luck ,,and just my personal experance with my 440...

Thanks Man,

I will def. consider that saw, you described what I'm looking for to a T. :)

Sounds to me that you are looking for the most powerful saw that you can comfortably handle. IMHO easily the biggest bang for the buck in the pro saw line up is the Dolkita 7901 (Makita 6401 that has been converted by adding a 79cc top end). The Dolkita 7901 will give you more power than any saw in the 70cc class and at a price that is at least $150 less than the Stihl and Husky models. Switching out the P&C is very easy on this saw, even I was able to do it very easily.

You have a great husky/jonsered dealer in NY as well as some great dolmar dealers there.

IMO with him have'n 260 already and the size of trees I think 70cc would be just right.

TT

Me too Trigger....I started with a 210 and went to the 260 pro with the 18 inch bar...It's a great little saw but for the big stuff,,,I wanted something with alittle more ass behind it,,why I searched on here and bought my 440...260 for limbing,,and a 440 for bucking and fellin he cant go wrong,,,oh wait,,thats I did....

IMO with him have'n 260 already and the size of trees I think 70cc would be just right.

TT

Did you read what you posted?

I still say it's overkill. WAY overkill. MASSIVE overkill. STUPID overkill!

Say, did you read what you posted?

:biggrinbounce2:

If fire wood, then 700cc or so.

TT

Did you read what you posted?

I still say it's overkill. WAY overkill. MASSIVE overkill. STUPID overkill!

Say, did you read what you posted?

:biggrinbounce2:

:censored: a guy just can't make no mistakes with this crowd.

Back