All time most reliable saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
028super it just keeps running . The one I have is all original and it's been to hell and back . Got it from the ol timer that taught me about saws . He bought it new in the 80s I belive and it never had more than a plug and filter to run. Couple bars n lots of chain . Still goin strong if Henry could see it now he would be smileing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having had two Jonsered 535 - one from 1987 and one from 1989 - until sold them in pairs last year, what more can we say ? 26 years in our use for the oldest with minor service and maintenance, that's a record I don't think any of our newer saws will make.

However our current remaining Jonsered duo, consists of CS2150 from 2002 and CS2152 from 2004, that's another high reliability top performer duo; equipped as one lighter (13") and one longer (15").

Conclusion: Regular Service and Maintenance are cardinal parameters to reliability.

046.JPG Sachs Dolmar 116/120si.

Them dudes have a bullet proof bottom end and will start in 2 pulls after sitting 3 months!

I have not been lucky enough to own one, but the the Stihl 026/260 has a bulletproof reputation.

I know there has been a lot of them burned up due to carb limiters causing lean seizures, but Echo 370/400s are dead reliable otherwise. I ran a 370 quite often while working at the local state park, the thing had been used and abused but it started and ran every time with no question or hesitation. We even used it to noodle up a big old hackberry stump butt one day and it took a while but kept on chugging. It's the reason I now own a CS400...

The best so far for me the old Husqvarna 346! That saw has been dropped and slammed a few times. It cut hundreds of chords of firewood, used when I worked for a tree service, and alot of other uses. She keeps on crankin. The only thing done was a rim, bar, and spark plug replacement, carb adjustment and the obvious chain replacements. The so said cheap Husky plastic never broke from hard use. ITs TOUGH IMO!

My old 290 farm boss was very reliable .. My 562 xp has so far proven to be also a great reliable saw

My vote has to go to a Husqvarna 61. We've owned 3-4 over the years, and all you have to do is keep the chain sharp, add fuel and bar oil, and cut until you get tired. Even the beat to hell ones I've seen run great.

I nominate my Jonsereds 049SP. It's been rock steady for 30+ years. When new it was so smooth and quiet it didn't seem like it was cutting as well as it really was. Not so much use any more but will start with a few pulls after sitting for months at a time. They were really expensive when new but it turned out to be a lasting investment.
uquhe2y8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Husqvarna 480 001.jpg I 2nd or 3rd the Husqvarna 480CD. I bought mine new 34 years ago when I got married and it has seen service every years since then. In all those years it has only needed the staked end of the carb linkage brazed in place, an ignition switch, and new top and side covers. Starts and runs flawlessly and never needs any adjustments in the field. Of course by modern standards it's a slow and obsolete design, but they have more power than folks give them credit for, and my "go to" saw these days when I get into bigger logs.

Both of my 55's are also dead solid reliable, and they see a LOT of use. I have been into them a few times for minor stuff like fuel lines and carb kits, but the old 480CD is still all original, carb has never been apart, and the factory fuel line is still in service.

One of the death sentences for all small power equipment is leaving them sitting too long without use with fuel in the tanks, which I don't let happen here with anything, so I just don't have any problems in that area. For equipment that does sit for long periods of time, like my generator, when it is shut down the fuel is shut off and I run it till it stalls out, the close the tank vent, and always keep the tank pretty full. It is also test run at least once a month for 15-20 minutes. If you don't follow these steps it's highly likely that this new fuel will form some "apple jelly" in the tank and carb bowl, which can/will plug them up and require some cleaning to get them in service again........Cliff

Echo 60 S , IS the SAW that has the longest production period ever.
We can close now this thread , it's settled ;)

HUSQVARNA 55 RANCHER. had it for 15 years and short of just basic maintance the saw had run awesome it cut 3 cords a year for my dad and has cut almost the same for me till I saved up and got a new saw that saw ran great started great everytime you needed it. cutting holes in the ice for fish and cutting wood for the hose it didn't matter that saw just loved to run

Y'all may laugh but my grandpa bought a pair of 021s back in the early 90s not sure exactly was too young but they were put through hell heating his house for years then retired untill I got house when I dug them back out and made one from two. It even got submurged a few times cutting trees across the creek but lived on until some scumbag stole it out of my toolbox one day.
I own a ms261 and a 660 but neither have any time to report of. My dad's 021 has been pretty much abused for 15 years now and I just changed the original plug and it's on its 3rd air filter. I hope the 261 shares this bloodline because I will never NEED a new small saw.

Back