Anal or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes its anal... And most of us do screw the covers on too tight because we want it to stay there for the next 100hrs of use.. Not the next 30 min at the woodpile... Having said that if I were ever to get a used saw an anal guy like woodyman would be at the top of my list.. You know its pretty much like new or better in all ways because he can't stand imperfection... Unlike me :biggrinbounce2:

One thought.
You're gonna go blind if ya keep doing that!!!:D

Hey, lotsa guys wax the paint off thier cars before they hit 30K miles.

If it works for ya, and you're having fun, you aren't wasting your time.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Each to their own but to me it's a bit obsessive.
I mean I clean my saws with air, pull the bar, blow out the clutch and every nook and cranny I can get to, clean the filter etc but certainly don't pull it down like that.
I really don't have the time but rest assured if you blow that dust and crap out of the recoil housing now, or in 20 years, it will still look just as pretty.

He probably has to to this to his 346 since he likes to hang it so many times.

An obsessively clean saw will not work one bit better than a saw that is just dusted out with compressed air every 40 hrs or so. If looks are all that important to the owner then by all means wear out the fasteners, the saw will never wear out mechanically by a user with that mindset. For the guy`s that make a living or even cut half way seriously most saws are lucky to get a lick of comp air between being serviced. The pro grade saws run for up to or over 2000 hrs in that state.The way I see it is, it`s your saw or saws, do as you like with them
Pioneerguy600

He probably has to to this to his 346 since he likes to hang it so many times.

Dontcha know nothin 'bout nothin son? Read the manual. Saws are drip-dry only. He's gotta hang em out to dry after they're washed. :hmm3grin2orange:

That saw will be worn out from fastener hole degradation long before it's worn out from use. That's just plain stupid.

Sounds like someone spent some time in prison...

Whats with all the lovey dovey stuff lately, everybody is worried they may hurt someones feelings by disagreeing, Who gives a ####! Or maybe we should all hold hands while we post!:mad:

Maybe they just don't want to give the impression that they are insecure morons.

Everytime I get done after a weekend of cutting I clean my saws.I take the top cover,starter cover,clutch cover,B&C and air filter off and clean them.I check the plug too.I have gotten alot of dirty saws from AS members and off ebay(except for the 372 in just got done trading my 7900 for to another AS member) that I don't understand why they let them get so bad.I used my 346 this weekend widening the trails I have running through my land and cleaned it the way I always do as seen in the pic(if I can get it up this time).Am I anal?

attachment.php

I am anal! :agree2: I am with you on the cleaning!

I meant no harm in it my point is if you have a ritual and it works for you why change it on someone elses opinion

I know, just messing with ya. ;) It's kinda hard to imply sarcasm on the compooter.

It's true that if something works for you, keep doing it that way. Only if it is safe though, I.E., using blue threadlocker on brake caliper bolts; not installing them without threadlocker which obviously is unsafe. Doing something unsafe must be corrected before I (IMHO) approve of personal methods of repair or overhauling.

Cleaning a saw this thoroughly can only wear out the threads as spacemule said, unless you're careful to resist torquing the screws and bolts down "farmer tight"

I know, just messing with ya. ;)

It's true that if something works for you, keep doing it that way.

Cleaning a saw this thoroughly can only wear out the threads as spacemule said, unless you're careful to resist torquing the screws and bolts down "farmer tight"

I would think most people would be carefull when tightening screws/nuts on a chainsaw.I can see the farmer tight thing on like tractor and implement parts or torquing down a fifth wheel on a four axel with a max weight of 215.000 lbs.I talk to people from all over the country everyday at work and one questions I ask them is about the old "horse sense",and most of them say it is becoming a lost art which I have to agree.Alot of people are getting way to lazy and sloppy and you will have accidents and screw ups that way.I was cutting wood at my brothers freinds house a few years back and when the friends saw started smoking out of the recoil so we took it apart and it was pack full of crap.He must have forgot to blow it out.It takes me about 15 minutes extra to clean the recoil and inside of the top cover which is about as long or more as it would take to read a few page thread and reply:confused:

What kind of wood do you cut? I tell ya one thing, after mowing down a few "juicy" balsam fir's today my saw is covered in sap...by the end of the day my handle had a nice thick coating on it and right sticky and tacky, I am not even going to try and clean it, makes for a good grip :) .... I will clean out the saw with compressed air at the end of the week , pop off the side cover and get the saw dust and chips out but that's the extent of it.

At the end of the winter I might try and wipe off the sap but probably not :)

Back