Another darn oil thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer 87

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So ive since changed my fuel ratio from 50:1 to 32:1 on account of starting to do some heavy milling. Im going through way more fuel than before so im thinking of buying some mix oil in more quantity than the little pre mix bottles. Maybe up to a gallons worth.

So ive seen amsoil sabre and royal purple.

Ive used royal purple regular engine oil in high performance 4 cycle engines but not 2 cycles.
Has anyone used either oils? What did you think of it, i want to go with synthetic and very good quality, bc milling is so demanding on a saw.

If theres another oil out there worth trying let me know. Thanks

I use sabre soley in everything. I know people have mixed feelings about the Amsoil thing and I completely understand it i've used it in all my vehicles first then through JetSki's and dirt bikes using it there leading to the chainsaw thing for the past five years I've used it primarily in an 80 to 1 ratio in all my small engine two strokes with not a hick up just recently in my 660 kit saws just because I'm ocd I've lowered the ratio closer to 50:1. I have hours and hours and gallons and gallons of fuel mixed around 80:1 through my weedeaters and chainsaws and they run perfect. When one of them do blowup it's going to be because of an air leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill look into that, im not married to any brand i just want full synthetic in gallon bulk, im gonna keep my 32:1 ratio.

It was a suprise to me after getting into milling how demanding it is on saws. I was making 12ft long slabs.... the poor cs800p was wide open underload for about 10-11 minutes straight, so heavy oil, and rich mixture is a must IMO

Looks like baileys has a 5 gallon bucket, that might be overkill. Husky xp is about 47-50 for a gallon, royal purple is actually cheaper at 40/gal. Ill keep searching ill call my stihl dealer and price a gallon of ultra also.

I see poulan makes a synthetic blend, its dirt cheap at my local rural king . I wonder if this is just rebaged husky oil?

Any of the oil company's that market a Jaso rated FD oil or ISO equiv would be fine. I don't mill myself but my friend does several 1000 board feet at a time he at the moment uses "Ipone" 100% synth Strawberry smell (fraise) mixed at 32/1, you can buy most oils here(FRANCE) in 5 litre containers Have a look whats available on Fleabay or visit your local dirt bike or Gokart store most oil company's 2T oil is cheaper than the chainsaw manufacturers branded oilsThats blended by the oil co's anyway.

I really hate to jump in on this conversation, but is there "really" a difference in 2 stroke oil?? I know with automobile, everything has to meet or exceed a certain guidline to be sold (hence the markings such as GE, GS etc) on the bottles... I ran just regular quicksilver 2 stroke oil for years in my equipment, as it was the same stuff I ran in my boat tank. Im just asking because I dont honestly know, why would I buy stihls brand for example when I could get off-brand X for half the price?

I really hate to jump in on this conversation, but is there "really" a difference in 2 stroke oil?? I know with automobile, everything has to meet or exceed a certain guidline to be sold (hence the markings such as GE, GS etc) on the bottles... I ran just regular quicksilver 2 stroke oil for years in my equipment, as it was the same stuff I ran in my boat tank. Im just asking because I dont honestly know, why would I buy stihls brand for example when I could get off-brand X for half the price?

I have no idea either, ive heard for years not to use oil made for snowmobiles or outboards bc its not meant for the rpm range a saw is. But i have no idea if thats true or not. Im just after some good synthetic oil to run in milling saws bc of the increased stress on the saw.

Right now im running 32:1 synthetic blend poulan brand with 100ll fuel. The fuel itself i believe lends itself to running cooler temps anyway. I just want to find a good oil i can buy in somewhat of a bulk bc ive got about 60+ saws, so whatever i find is going in all of them, from a gear drive power products up to my brand new echo cs800p and ms 271.

Another oil thread, well does it matter? If you have a cylinder all scored up and a piston broken to pieces yes it would suddenly become important. My opinion is that all oil is not the same regardless of what the bottles say. My preference is not synthetic, but that does not mean they are all bad. What ever oil you end up with you must stay with. Mixing oils back and forth is a no no. Find some oil you like for whatever reason and stay with it. Then once you have established your ratio the engine must be tuned to that ratio. Then possibly the most important issue after a good long hard run pull the plug and look for white spots indicating a lean condition. After checking all conditions carefully you will not likely have any problems. If the most expensive oil is purchased how much will that add to your budget? My guess would be that the most expensive oil would add about $1.00 for a 5 gallon mix. As with gasoline or oil it does not do well if it has to sit on a shelf for long. One time my 5 gallon bucket of oil got overlooked as it was starting to separate after 6 months. So every thing works the best when it is fresh. Nobody likes a bargan better than me, but be cautious. Thanks

The upside to using Hydrotex oil is they actually build there own oils and stand behind there product. The downside is availability it's only available online or thru a dealer.

Well... running a mill it's gotta smell good because if it doesn't you'll be miserable. I've been using the HP ultra at 32:1 for milling and thus far I've tolerated it. Hopefully, the saw has too.

Back