Anyone else climbing in the snow?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BS Tree Service

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is anyone else climbing in the snow this week or am I the only nut? We're getting a good amount of snow in PA. I hope some day I'm well off enough that I don't have to go out in this weather lol.

Maybe next year I'll put a plow on my truck and join the club. Until then, will press on.

Anyone got any good snow pics from this year?

Is anyone else climbing in the snow this week or am I the only nut? We're getting a good amount of snow in PA. I hope some day I'm well off enough that I don't have to go out in this weather lol.

Maybe next year I'll put a plow on my truck and join the club. Until then, will press on.

Make sure you have lots of extra dry gloves. It get cold.

It isn't snowing here but yes...I climb trees covered in snow, ice, thorns, wet moss, poison ivy, etc. etc. If I have to climb it...I'll climb it. But it was nearly 60 degrees and sunny all day today. Should be nice all week here. :)

The last tree I climbed my ground guys spent most of their time looking up at me while I had my hands in my pockets trying to defrost my fingers. Way too inefficient for me. I need to feel my fingers and all the different gloves I've tried to help this just hasn't worked for me.

The last tree I climbed my ground guys spent most of their time looking up at me while I had my hands in my pockets trying to defrost my fingers. Way too inefficient for me. I need to feel my fingers and all the different gloves I've tried to help this just hasn't worked for me.
I'll put hands warmers in my gloves but on the back of my hands, their too bulky for the palm but even on the backs of my hands they do help.

i dont climb trees with snow on them unless i really need to. I have though back in my younger days. As i recall it was a bunch of BS and i recall getting frostbite on my right ring finger to. And the funny thing is how i dont recall the boss EVER being out there with us lol. Now that i am my own boss I prefer not to. I will do trees when theres some snow on the ground but I always tell the HO that the clean up will be sub par. Once the the snow melts your yard will need a raking up. Most customers elect to hold off which is fine with me. I have my finances in place to pull off not working much at all for a couple two or three months. I consider myself fourtunate for that. My wife has a good job which is a huge factor in that. I have some work we could do and i will prolly be bored enough to do something soon. Otherwise I have some work "on ice" which is cool with me. I only have two employees right now and they both seem to share my dislike for working in cold/snow. They are getting by so i guess its all good.

No problem working or climbing in the snow. None at all. Land clearing jobs where you can burn are fantastic. Especially lunch by the fire. :yes:

The problem is that the customers either don't think we can work in the snow or don't want to work in the snow. Or they're simply not thinking about their trees in the winter. So as soon as it snows, the calls get pretty slow.

But all Canadians love a good snow job. :D

002_zps943bfcdc.jpg

Where are you at in PA?

North of Pittsburgh
Me too. Working downtown on new 34, story building. Ripping a plywood platform down we built for fireproofing. Wet gloves here. Drying them and warming hands in front of halogen work light. They got us gloves. Memphis brand name. Ninja Ice is the type. Try them. Working well for us. I know I could run a saw or tie knots with them on.

Me too. Working downtown on new 34, story building. Ripping a plywood platform down we built for fireproofing. Wet gloves here. Drying them and warming hands in front of halogen work light. They got us gloves. Memphis brand name. Ninja Ice is the type. Try them. Working well for us. I know I could run a saw or tie knots with them on.
Oh ok cool. I may know some people you work with. I'll have to try a pair of those gloves. The only question I would have is can you climb in them too.

Oh ok cool. I may know some people you work with. I'll have to try a pair of those gloves. The only question I would have is can you climb in them too.
I think you could climb with them. I can handle drywall screws and nails with them pretty easily and my hands weren't cold today even as the gloves got soggy.

Back